Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Problem description: My laptop downloaded & installed the latest Windows 10 update last night, and I discovered this morning that the default action for images when you double-click on them has been changed from Open (in Photos) to Edit (in Paint 3D). This is aggravating, and I've been try to find a way to undo it. I know how to change the default program used when opening a file type, but that doesn't help here; I need to know how to change the default action used when double-clicking an item. Searching for solutions to this problem just turns up a complete mess of unrelated information and a bunch of content menu editors that don't do jack in 10. I posted for help on the Microsoft boards, but they just recite "run Troubleshooter :)" boilerplate.

Would anyone have any suggestions here? I'd really appreciate it.

Attempted fixes: Fiddled with Windows a bit, searched the internet, asked Microsoft

Recent changes: The recent Windows 10 update (now on ver. 10.0.15063)

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs: Dell Inspiron 15-7559 laptop, i7 processor, 8 GB RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Blenheim posted:

I know how to change the default program used when opening a file type, but that doesn't help here

Could you please confirm that .jpg and .png file types (or whatever kind of image you're trying to view) have Photos set as the default application?

Settings > Apps > Default apps > Choose default apps by file type > .jpg/.png

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Yeah, I checked before; it is.

ETA: OK, after opening images with Photos a few more times via the context menu, I discovered that the default action had reset itself to Open. Apparently, this is some sort of adaptive feature that was set to an odd default by the recent update and that Microsoft help doesn't know about. I'll leave the thread open for a little bit in case there's a new development, but this is resolved for now.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread