Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Everything posted here is just https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Phantom is like the only good comic strip that still exists though?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

The Phantom is like the only good comic strip that still exists though?

shut your whore mouth. newspaper spiderman is the greatest comic strip ever made and phantom is only good for edits.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They should make a movie about that Paul pope libertarian Batman story where he straight rages about Nazis burning the works of rothbard

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

shut your whore mouth. newspaper spiderman is the greatest comic strip ever made and phantom is only good for edits.

I haven't been in the newspaper comic strip thread for like 5 years is newspaper spiderman still getting knocked out by loose bricks and random dudes and the fantastic 4 acted like he was the biggest idiot ever cause that ruled

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

I haven't been in the newspaper comic strip thread for like 5 years is newspaper spiderman still getting knocked out by loose bricks and random dudes and the fantastic 4 acted like he was the biggest idiot ever cause that ruled

you're in luck, then. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789826

a thread dedicated solely to newspaper spiderman without giant walls of 80 year old nancy strips that i don't think anyone actually reads.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
I like the one where Harley and Ivy run around town together and try to derail trains.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bombadilillo posted:

That actually makes me want to play it tbh

its actually pretty decent. goes into some interesting enough places. one of the better tell tale games.

i like the arkham games enough too though mixed quality.

idk i am disappointed with DC. now its just rape/murder/edgy poo poo. sure thats fine with a good writer and in smart does but now its just edge. marvel is mixed bag. big stupid events that mean nothing that no one cares about and dumb political poo poo pushed in to try to sound smart. that being said, the movies are good/ok and great in some cases.

i have always been a fan of the Kevin Conroy style batman like in animated series/injustice/arkham/etc(yeah i know different writers, but conroys batman usualy has the same personality) because he always had the best balance of the batman in my opinion.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Fartbox posted:

Superman would be more interesting if he was fat and short and had a weird face

Danny Devito as Superman would be :krad:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you're in luck, then. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789826

a thread dedicated solely to newspaper spiderman without giant walls of 80 year old nancy strips that i don't think anyone actually reads.

Lmfao thanks bud

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
one of the new watchmen comics or something

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

a bone to pick posted:

one of the new watchmen comics or something

I may not be Doctor Manhattan, but I'm certainly RADIOACTIVE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You have to give the comics industry credit for somehow managing to hemorrhage readers despite almost 20 years of continuous promotion from Hollywood, the biggest and best marketing and merchandising juggernaut in existence. It's like they go out of their way to alienate anybody who could possibly be interested in learning about comics, and even when they try and be artistic and intellectual it's always some meta-commentary on superheroes that's completely impenetrable to anybody who doesn't have an encyclopedic understanding of comic book history much less can even tell the difference between a gold age and a silver age.

It's not even about comics as a medium because manga and webcomics have both had explosive growth for almost two generations now because they actually try and appeal to more than an ever-shrinking and aging niche of comic book beardos and sell themselves in ways other than a direct sales system that has been crumbling for decades.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Manga in Japan is a weird thing. They'll write it literally about anything and everything, from high school life to being disembowled by cockroach people. I think what helps manga and webcomics continue to grow readers is that they encourage new stories and end (unless you're freaking One Piece). With Marvel and DC, their icons are double-edged swords. They ARE your brand, but you are punished for changing them or keeping them the same because people like different things.

They also don't have to force everything into one continuum. Imagine Doraemon being shoved into Attack on Titan's universe.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

You have to give the comics industry credit for somehow managing to hemorrhage readers despite almost 20 years of continuous promotion from Hollywood, the biggest and best marketing and merchandising juggernaut in existence. It's like they go out of their way to alienate anybody who could possibly be interested in learning about comics, and even when they try and be artistic and intellectual it's always some meta-commentary on superheroes that's completely impenetrable to anybody who doesn't have an encyclopedic understanding of comic book history much less can even tell the difference between a gold age and a silver age.

It's not even about comics as a medium because manga and webcomics have both had explosive growth for almost two generations now because they actually try and appeal to more than an ever-shrinking and aging niche of comic book beardos and sell themselves in ways other than a direct sales system that has been crumbling for decades.

My guess is that, as is the case with the similar niche of tabletop gaming, the only real qualifications a lot of comics business people have is that they are die-hards. Loving the product so much that you devote your life to it without thought of actually being a Professional Anything is not a recipe for long-term success.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bogus Adventure posted:

Manga in Japan is a weird thing. They'll write it literally about anything and everything, from high school life to being disembowled by cockroach people. I think what helps manga and webcomics continue to grow readers is that they encourage new stories and end (unless you're freaking One Piece). With Marvel and DC, their icons are double-edged swords. They ARE your brand, but you are punished for changing them or keeping them the same because people like different things.

They also don't have to force everything into one continuum. Imagine Doraemon being shoved into Attack on Titan's universe.

Yeah they should just let superman stay dead, y'know like goku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I can't believe that Zach Snyder killed his daughter and made it look like a suicide to get out of making the Justice League movie.

• Locked thread