Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tekopo posted:

There is no one that invested in Scum, I'm sorry. I've heard the above many times but I think it's a myth. I think the more likely story is that it just wasn't seen during playtesting.

That J2K build relied on a interaction between two upgrade cards, R4 Agromech and Deadeye, which had been in game forever and had both been considered pretty useless until that point. Plus, at that point in the game, the notion that torpedoes could actually be good was downright absurd to most people, as they had been hot garbage since wave 1. In other words, it required assembling three awful things and putting them on this entirely new ship to create something broken.

It's a combo that feels blindingly obvious once it has dominated your meta for months, but it's totally understandable that playtesting didn't catch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

People weren't really invested in making the jumpmaster a good ship. Scum didn't have a following like it does now because there weren't that many ships available at the time. It's something that people have said about the Jumpmaster with no basis on actual fact.

Geisladisk posted:

That J2K build relied on a interaction between two upgrade cards, R4 Agromech and Deadeye, which had been in game forever and had both been considered pretty useless until that point. Plus, at that point in the game, the notion that torpedoes could actually be good was downright absurd to most people, as they had been hot garbage since wave 1. In other words, it required assembling three awful things and putting them on this entirely new ship to create something broken.

It's a combo that feels blindingly obvious once it has dominated your meta for months, but it's totally understandable that playtesting didn't catch it.
Exactly this. It was just a missed combo that the playtesters didn't spot when doing the playtesting. I've never seen actual proof that a shadowy cabal of playtesters saw the combo and decided not to say anything about it.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 5, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Plus the notion of people being invested in certain X-Wing factions doesn't really add up, since X-Wing's upgrade model forces you to buy one of everything to get the upgrades you need. It's not like Warhammer or whatever where you are heavily invested in one or maybe two factions, since owning all the stuff is a prerequisite to playing the game competitively anyway. :toot:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm not saying I was on playtesting or knew people who were but

Geisladisk posted:

Plus the notion of people being invested in certain X-Wing factions doesn't really add up, since X-Wing's upgrade model forces you to buy one of everything to get the upgrades you need. It's not like Warhammer or whatever where you are heavily invested in one or maybe two factions, since owning all the stuff is a prerequisite to playing the game competitively anyway. :toot:

Scum has been solidly shown to be the big ship faction and for that I like them much more than the other two

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Y'all!

New GW might actually be honestly good. I wans't prepared for this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wow.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I hope they go all out to with female marines and making some primarchs women. Just blame it on lovely historians and let the reawakining primarch correct them.

"And who is this Leman Russ you keep talking about? Wait, you mean Herja Russ? Oh boy haha, she's never gonna let you live this one down."

Wanna watch the meltdowns if that ever happens.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I learned in the :krad: skellie thread that female marines were a thing way back but they stopped including them in the writing. :iiam:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I learned in the :krad: skellie thread that female marines were a thing way back but they stopped including them in the writing. :iiam:

I don't know about the writing but they did produce two female space marine figures back in the RT era, in the Space Adventurers range. They were pretty awful though.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

what if... becoming good is what kills gw?!?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cat Face Joe posted:

what if... becoming good is what kills gw?!?

I can't wait to see grognards burning their team jerseys army collections because of the disrespect GW has shown to the flag narrative

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
:stare:
Legit impressed if they commit to it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Bistromatic posted:

Y'all!

New GW might actually be honestly good. I wans't prepared for this.

I have been trash-talking GW for ages for being poo poo, but this is legitimately good and I looked up the referenced miniatures and they're pretty solid. Brightshield is fully armored without boobcups, has a helmet option, and is posed like she's heading to fight. I mean I could pick at specific proportions but they're basically all the same issues with other figures and mostly about GW's style rather than failings of a female miniature. So, good job GW, you did it.

I can only guess that this is a side effect of when we jumped the tracks into the darkest reality last year.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I was not aware that GW's studio has a three year lead time. I would have guessed they were working 12-18 months ahead of releases. I wonder if that is just the sculptors working on designs?

Just think, GW were probably sitting on the big Marine designs for over 2 years before dropping the bombshell.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ugleb posted:

I was not aware that GW's studio has a three year lead time. I would have guessed they were working 12-18 months ahead of releases. I wonder if that is just the sculptors working on designs?

Just think, GW were probably sitting on the big Marine designs for over 2 years before dropping the bombshell.

I'm kind of surprised people don't know about this. Bringing a model from concept to release is a very long process pretty much regardless of which studio you're talking about. 3 years isn't out of the ordinary at all. Their studio is working on a large collection of future releases at any given point in time so a lengthy pipeline is necessary.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I get that licenced ip's need long spans of time (AvP) to get through approvals and that even non-licenced stuff takes time with kickstarters often taking 18 months or more to deliver. But three years for a company that does practically everything in house working exclusively on its own IP? It's longer than I thought.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah one year is fairly normal, three years is fairly absurd.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
no way you can sculpt a sufficient number of purity seals in just one year, come on

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is Bommerz over da Sulphur River worth picking up? Con vendor here has one.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah one year is fairly normal, three years is fairly absurd.

If it's considering beginning of concept development to end product 2 plus years isn't weird. A lot of models will float about in concept foe a while before being hammered out in testing modelling etc.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There is a difference between 'this doodle has been in a sketchbook for 3 years' and 'this design has been in the pipeline for 3 years'.

GW are in the position of putting out new hard plastic kits every month (is it actually weekly? I don't watch their calendar that closely) though so a longer pipeline than a company who is releasing every few months is understandable.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Three years might seem long, but the Adeptus Mechanicus approval process is a bureaucratic nightmare.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
all three of the female minis they reference have boob plate

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ugleb posted:

There is a difference between 'this doodle has been in a sketchbook for 3 years' and 'this design has been in the pipeline for 3 years'.

GW are in the position of putting out new hard plastic kits every month (is it actually weekly? I don't watch their calendar that closely) though so a longer pipeline than a company who is releasing every few months is understandable.

Yes it's usually weekly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bistromatic posted:

I hope they go all out to with female marines and making some primarchs women. Just blame it on lovely historians and let the reawakining primarch correct them.

"And who is this Leman Russ you keep talking about? Wait, you mean Herja Russ? Oh boy haha, she's never gonna let you live this one down."

Wanna watch the meltdowns if that ever happens.

That would own bones, especially if everything we know about Russ was true except the gender, so she was just a hard drinking badass.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

https://www.facebook.com/wotblitz/videos/1786639708032311/

Why must GW ruin everything I enjoy? :negative:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You thought that you could escape, but they'll get you wherever you go.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism posted:

That would own bones, especially if everything we know about Russ was true except the gender, so she was just a hard drinking badass.

Warhammer needs more Ripley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

all three of the female minis they reference have boob plate

yeah they really do. especially greyfax, do GW not know what boob plate is?

• Locked thread