Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Welcome to the thread for discussing the Pocket Monsters Sun and Moon anime! After like half a year from first airing the thread's finally here! For you to post in!

I can't be arsed to write up a plot summary since everyone should know what Pokemon is by now so I'll just go over the major differences in this new season:
  • Instead of traveling around on a more sprawling adventure, this time around the story is more focused on the adventures of going to school! Yeah it's a flimsy excuse just to hit the ever popular school anime setting and to have a wider cast of characters readily available, but it's fine. None of that gets rid of the heart of Pokemon's appeal of selling the audience on how cute/cool the various Pokemon are and how absolutely fun the characters bouncing off each other get in this show.
  • The new gameplay gimmick in this generation are Z-Moves where a trainer syncs up with their Pokemon to unleash The Nuclear Option on whatever poor fool is their target. Also you gotta strike a cool pose to activate it.
  • The animation and new art style is completely fine and is actually good as heck. In fact, the general level of quality and action is loads higher than even the previous Pokemon XYZ season which was considered the best animated the series has been.
  • On top of that, the stupid face tech has been vastly improved this season.
  • Oak's Pokemon puns Do Not Work in the English dub.
yeah that's pretty much all the significant changes from the previous seasons, everything else is basically the same old formula.

Meet the characters:

Ash (Satoshi): The main character. Has chronic ten-years-old syndrome, it's very tragic. Fortunately, Pokemon is (usually) not a tragic show so it's not a problem!

Pikachu (Pikachu): The electric mouse who has accompanied Ash through his entire journey.

Kiawe (Kaki): Watch out, here comes best boy.

Lillie (Lilie): The only reason I included her in the OP before I lost steam was to just link this.

Bewear (Kiteruguma): The true final boss

There's like a billion other characters and I'm too tired to write up a stupid little thing about them and take meme screenshots so I'll do the rest later. It's not like the show doesn't introduce the characters really well anyways.

Rules:
  • The english dub is obviously way behind the japanese dub. I don't know the general split amongst goons but I'm going to tentatively assume most are watching the japanese version. Therefore, spoiler tags should typically be reserved for the latest japanese episode, if used at all. It's a kids show through and through though so really, don't have a huge fit over untagged spoilers Ash loses in the finals of the Alolan Pokemon League
  • Don't have a nerd attack over people using either the English or Japanese names for characters and Pokemon. It's not like the subs can agree on any unified idea behind this anyways so whatever. There's only like 800 Pokemon anyways, just learn all their names twice it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i'm so proud of yung rock wanner finally figuring out how to pelt his trainer with rocks, truly, this scene was 'for the win'
https://track5.mixtape.moe/ldqwgs.webm

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
did they do a hard reset on Ash and Pikachu again like at the beginning of X/Y?

Also, what are those things on Ash's face? They're kinda where lines that indicate cheeks would be on anyone else, but they're lightning bolt shaped, and no other character has them. Did... did Pikachu brand him?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

OnimaruXLR posted:

did they do a hard reset on Ash and Pikachu again like at the beginning of X/Y?

Also, what are those things on Ash's face? They're kinda where lines that indicate cheeks would be on anyone else, but they're lightning bolt shaped, and no other character has them. Did... did Pikachu brand him?

yes

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

My favorite Pokémon is Typhlosion, please tell me if it makes an appearance in this season tia

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Erg posted:

My favorite Pokémon is Typhlosion, please tell me if it makes an appearance in this season tia

Best Gen 2 Starter :hf:

I'm not really watching the show anymore, but I do appreciate the clips I've seen online; this show is stylish as heck and looks so good when animated compared to previous seasons. I am interested to see how they'll adapt the overarching plot of the Sun/Moon games though, since it's just been so different from the traditional formula.

Good thread,
Hope you update the OP to include other characters.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Futaba Anzu posted:

i'm so proud of yung rock wanner finally figuring out how to pelt his trainer with rocks, truly, this scene was 'for the win'
https://track5.mixtape.moe/ldqwgs.webm

Mimikyu is the best.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Julias posted:

Best Gen 2 Starter :hf:

I'm not really watching the show anymore, but I do appreciate the clips I've seen online; this show is stylish as heck and looks so good when animated compared to previous seasons. I am interested to see how they'll adapt the overarching plot of the Sun/Moon games though, since it's just been so different from the traditional formula

plotwise it hasn't really moved further than ash beating tapu koko yet, but some of the standalone episodes (well, I guess the vast majority of them are this at this point) namely the most recent Litten and Stoutland episode have been very good. The one mentioned especially so, definitely did not expect that level of this tone to show up in Pokemon and it had a real good Meowth segment.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the last episode I watched was when ash beat hala and it's a really fun adorable series that I should start watching again

i did make a bunch of webms when i was watching though

https://track5.mixtape.moe/kejhju.webm

https://track4.mixtape.moe/fdkijv.webm

https://track5.mixtape.moe/zammjg.webm

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 13, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is the dub finally starting to air? Last I checked (which admittedly was a quite a while ago) there was only 3 or 4 episodes dubbed.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm like six eps or so behind, but this series is pretty good. I'm most worried about what they're going to do with Lillie though. She seems pretty different from her game counterpart, who ended up having a really nice arc, so I hope they don't mess it up.

Other than that, it's kind of sad that every other character is infinitely more enjoyable than Ash. Like, it was clearly a priority to make the characters in SunMoon more memorable than XY, so Ash ends up sticking out like a sore thumb.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Is the dub finally starting to air? Last I checked (which admittedly was a quite a while ago) there was only 3 or 4 episodes dubbed.

The dub starts up on the 13th, the standard Saturday morning fare. Right now you're about 20 episodes behind, but as far as big plots go, there hasn't been too much.

I'm interested in how this story goes, the anime has never stayed in one place for long and I hope Ash will want to go on an island hopping adventure soon. Maybe they're starting with this since the region might not be big enough for a 170 episode tour like usual. Kanto, Hoenn and Unova sure didn't

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Futaba Anzu posted:

[*]The animation and new art style is completely fine and is actually good as heck. In fact, the general level of quality and action is loads higher than even the previous Pokemon XYZ season which was considered the best animated the series has been.
[*]On top of that, the stupid face tech has been vastly improved this season.

Face tech?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Team Skull Trio fought the Rocket Trio recently. And Gladion will show up soon.

Though one thing I wonder is why they did not include Acerola in the main cast. She would have fit in great.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 13, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Momomo posted:

I'm like six eps or so behind, but this series is pretty good. I'm most worried about what they're going to do with Lillie though. She seems pretty different from her game counterpart, who ended up having a really nice arc, so I hope they don't mess it up.

Other than that, it's kind of sad that every other character is infinitely more enjoyable than Ash. Like, it was clearly a priority to make the characters in SunMoon more memorable than XY, so Ash ends up sticking out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, I've been wondering that too as Nebby/Cosmog hasn't even appeared yet (I really hope they don't end up shoving that stuff into a movie or something as it's pretty important to the game's plot).

Gladion shows up next week though so maybe they'll finally start getting into developing her a bit, especially since we alreay know he's her brother thanks to Lillie's family photo we saw a couple episodes back (I'm more curious how they're going to handle Lusamine myself or, even more so, how the dub is going to handle her).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 13, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Ccs posted:

Face tech?

Stupid-face tech

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

oh gently caress
https://twitter.com/Disgaeamad/status/865184278057033729

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe I should start watching this again.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'll probably watch it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Watched a couple more episodes of the dub and team rocket is the best they've ever been

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/pancakeparadox/status/867808847259455490

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That episode had some good baseball.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Even if it's another three years of flopping around and achieving ultimately nothing story wise (Which given the games actually tried to some degree would be something of a shame), this will prove to be the starting ground of some AMAZING animator careers.

I've only dipped into the dub because, honestly, DuArts just stopped caring after a point and losing the Inazuma Eleven text is a massive bummer but they did get in the one joke I hoped they'd play in Mimiku's introduction episode where Meowth refuses to translate what Mimiku's saying as Pokemon's a family show.

Also, calling it right now That Bewear is lusamine's and she's savy to how Team Rocket just end up ending any local gang's ambitions.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 26, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd legitimately be completely fine if this season of the anime is entirely just shenanigans and slice of life stuff.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'd legitimately be cool if this season of the anime is entirely just shenanigans and slice of life stuff.

Given it's the Inazuma guy on directorial duties I've got some cash down on the school exploding ala the soccer club shack at some point.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Even if it's another three years of flopping around and achieving ultimately nothing story wise (Which given the games actually tried to some degree would be something of a shame), this will prove to be the starting ground of some AMAZING animator careers.

I've only dipped into the dub because, honestly, DuArts just stopped caring after a point and losing the Inazuma Eleven text is a massive bummer but they did get in the one joke I hoped they'd play in Mimiku's introduction episode where Meowth refuses to translate what Mimiku's saying as Pokemon's a family show.

Also, calling it right now That Bewear is lusamine's and she's savy to how Team Rocket just end up ending any local gang's ambitions.

I think bewear just wants some friends

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mabels big day posted:

I think bewear just wants some friends

Ether works

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This is my anime of the season, 2 seasons running and gunning for 3rd. The animation and stories are just so fun and delightful. It's just fun seeing stuff like the baseball ep or the pancake race. And there's a sense of honesty with its charm, like how it tackled the dog dad episode and even the seemingly generic "whoops, i thought i was moving but it was a Misunderstanding, the web of lies unravels" ends on an extremely positive note rather than a dumb gag.

For once, every episode of a pokemon series is worth watching. :allears: (except maybe 19 with the tapu koko rematch, that just felt unnecessary after the first six minutes)

Cannot wait for Bewear to cast a black hole into the universe to save his friends or for Pikachu to learn how to GIGA DRILL BREAKER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah half of the charm of PSM is waiting to see how Bewear will cart TR off.

Edit: OK no, I've just realied that Gladion is voiced by the guy who VO's Bakugo and Accelerator, that is officially the best.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 4, 2017

• Locked thread