Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

The Joe Man posted:

BREAKING NEWS: You can finally buy the Ushanka for this dead game.

game is not really dead, they send me tweets all the time and I see my regulars.

IMHO it just sort of needs to be melded into DOOM as DOOMs MP and they are fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

MysteriousStranger posted:

game is not really dead, they send me tweets all the time and I see my regulars.

IMHO it just sort of needs to be melded into DOOM as DOOMs MP and they are fine

This is a genius idea!

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

meta² posted:

This is a genius idea!

yeah I don't know why they haven't figured it out? Like just bundled it with doom and gently caress off with that bullshit doom mp,

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
For some reason I just started playing this game. Waiting for matches sucks.

I used to play q2ctf more than anything, so this is an adjustment.

Is Athena any good? I've been mostly using ranger to start.

I think I hate abilities. It's fun finding out that some people can spawn sentry guns, little floating robots that chase you, or cover you in slime that never stops hurting you.

My railgun aim is still decent at least.

Short of actually learning the maps, is there anything else worth knowing?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

havelock posted:

For some reason I just started playing this game. Waiting for matches sucks.

I used to play q2ctf more than anything, so this is an adjustment.

Is Athena any good? I've been mostly using ranger to start.

I think I hate abilities. It's fun finding out that some people can spawn sentry guns, little floating robots that chase you, or cover you in slime that never stops hurting you.

My railgun aim is still decent at least.

Short of actually learning the maps, is there anything else worth knowing?

athena is fine, just maps really

Karin73
Mar 11, 2019

Karin73 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 4, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

hip hop posted:

I played QC and it was great. I played Instagib mostly. I'm done with it for now because of queue times.
Yeah until they let you pop in mid-match and default to rematch after the round, it takes way too long to get into a game and is pretty much what killed the momentum in the first place.

Karin73
Mar 11, 2019

Karin73 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 4, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
It WAS super popular but it dropped off as soon as they removed the daily rewards and introduced their dumb battlepass. They brought back the daily bonus but it's too late now.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I dropped the game not because of the queue times but because of all the downtime surrounding the actual queuing, pre-match/post-match, and need to do it after every. single. game. Just as soon as it feels like things are really getting going I'm back at the menus left to gawk at people's cosmetics. It's like being forced to eat soup with a steak knife, served one teaspoon at a time.

To be fair, even if all my big problems with QC were fixed and the community exploded, I'd still probably continue playing QC:DE instead. The movement isn't quite as fast or fluid but it's astoundingly fun and oozing with charm, plus pauses between matches are 5 - 15 seconds at most. A big update is coming in a couple weeks as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVrDQOTNl3o

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I stopped playing it cuz I just want Quake, not Quake With Different Characters tbqh but I'm a grumpy old man

Karin73
Mar 11, 2019

Karin73 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 4, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah that's what I mean. Skins are fine, but the skins being characters with different speeds and health and abilities is less fine

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

It WAS super popular
There are a lot of words I'd use to describe Q:C, but "super popular" has never been in the running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly when it was movement stuff like vq3 vs cpma and stuff like ranger orb and walljumps and slash crouchslides then it was kinda neat.

The "press q to delete the guy you're looking at" abilities were real bad though. Especially when it was "here's a new champion with a really overpowered ability (except if you're also playing the same champion), pay up if you want to enjoy the game because we aren't going to nerf it until we've gotten every single dollar we can from it".