Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Music! Robots! Explosions!

Soundboxing is a motion controlled VR rhythm game where you punch orbs to the beat of a song.
It’s super fun!

Soundboxing uses Youtube as its music source, so anything you can find on youtube. Right now there's a decent mix of most genres (and a shitload of anime soundtracks.)

Unless you’ve uploaded them all to youtube I have some bad news...

No, the beat maps (or challenges) are user created. Some are great, some aren’t so good, but most should have the beats sync better to the music because a real person made the challenge.

People make challenges for the music they like. I’d recommend you try out some of those anime soundtracks because they can have some pretty good beat maps.

There's a search feature for both youtube videos to make your own challenges and for other challenges. Don't bother with the genre feature because it's currently useless.

The good news is it’s really easy to be the change you want to see in the game. The challenge editor is pretty good and the devs are actively working to make it better.
If you’re nice about it a few goons are more than willing to beat map a song for you. Just post.

Yup. Here are the known goon soundboxers. You should follow all of them because it's a great way to discover new awesome challenges:
8one6
Walrus
Zsinjeh
Stick 100

Here’s a list of some goon favorite challenges:
Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming ft. Daft Punk
Roundtable Rival - Lindsey Stirling

Also, here's a few challenge creators that are really good:
cognaccat
Large OG

You should also participate in the
:siren: Soundboxing Challenge of the Day! :siren:
(pretend the sirens are the Soundboxing orbs. I'll 'shop up a nice logo later.)
Your goal on the Challenge of the Day is simple: Make it into the Top Ten on the challenge's leaderboard. Every Friday I'll tally the leaderboards of the entire week's worth of challenges, compare it to the list of known goon soundboxers, and award fabulous prizes!* If you want to participate post in the thread your soundboxing profile.
*Prizes are likely steam codes I have from recent-ish humble bundles.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its a good game

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Are there youtube ads?

8one6
May 20, 2012

There are not. When the videos first pull up, before you hit play, they look like they're already at the end of the video. I'm guessing the devs found a way to trick the playback. I've also never had a buffering/loading issue.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
bought this recently

https://www.soundboxing.co/user/steam/76561197970654231

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am glad this thread exists. Need to go punch some more music now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's time for the newest game I just made up, the
(pretend the sirens are the Soundboxing orbs. I'll 'shop up a nice logo later.)
Your goal on the Challenge of the Day is simple: Make it into the Top Ten on the challenge's leaderboard. Every Friday I'll tally the leaderboards of the entire week's worth of challenges, compare it to the list of known goon soundboxers, and award fabulous prizes!* If you want to participate post in the thread your soundboxing profile.

Today's challenge is The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming ft. Daft Punk!
We're starting with a nice and easy challenge. No sudden mixups, no beats hidden behind beats, no five-elbow backflip. A good starter challenge and a pretty good song. As of this posting I currently hold the #2 position and Stick 100 holds #3 & #4.

*Prizes are likely steam codes I have from recent-ish humble bundles.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 16, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i will give that challenge a go tonight!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet! I've been looking for a more curated selection of challenges.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

8one6 posted:

A good starter challenge and a pretty good song. As of this posting I currently hold the #2 position and Stick 100 holds #3 & #4.

Nice job bumping me off.

I just did an hour 40 minute session last night so I might not get back on today although your challenge tempting.

As a side note, if you're trying to get a higher score one thing I found to help is to turn off the dancing robots. I like the robots but when they are on I often can't see the punch strength of my left punch. Since turning that off I found I was very close but often not maxing my left.

If you want more challenge or a better workout turning up the speed. Here is an example at "insane" speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyT4XEqIYiQ Having less time makes you move more, it also makes it alot easier to see the hidden beats behind each other.

Another thing that I've adapted is to hold the controllers like they teach in the thrill of the fight. With the touchpads facing your palm, and then adjust the soundboxing gloves. This way it ends up feels a lot more like punching just while holding a stick in your hand. When I have the energy and it's slow I've even started trying to work toward a somewhat proper punching form.

I posted a stupid amount of suggestions on the steam forum here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/517130/discussions/0/1333474229086520783/

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 16, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Swingrowers - Butterfly
Following up the easy one from yesterday is a fun song from the Swingrowers and a challenging beatmap from congaccat. I made it to #5 with only a 40% streak and so fat there have only been eleven plays so odds are very good you'll place in the top ten on this one.

Also, I've decided I'll do three of these a week instead of one every single day. I'm playing catch up this week so next week it'll likely be Sun - Tues - Thurs.)

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

8one6 posted:

Swingrowers - Butterfly
Following up the easy one from yesterday is a fun song from the Swingrowers and a challenging beatmap from congaccat. I made it to #5 with only a 40% streak and so fat there have only been eleven plays so odds are very good you'll place in the top ten on this one.

Also, I've decided I'll do three of these a week instead of one every single day. I'm playing catch up this week so next week it'll likely be Sun - Tues - Thurs.)

Dislocated shoulders attempting the cross balls after 1 min, I cannoe do cognaccat challenges. :smithcloud:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Oovee posted:

Dislocated shoulders attempting the cross balls after 1 min, I cannoe do cognaccat challenges. :smithcloud:

Don't give up on congnaccat that easy, many of his maps don't have all that many switch overs. Or maybe I've just played so many of his maps I've gotten used to his patterns. He/She def. repeats patterns often.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Oovee posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to do a lot of their challenges as CotD going forward. That person has 6 elbows.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope people are still playing this! I added everyone who linked their profiles in the thread.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

I hope people are still playing this! I added everyone who linked their profiles in the thread.

Absolutely and loving it. I even started making some tracks. I did some Haul and Oats since they are some of the most popular musicians of all time but no one had done any tracks.

I would argue we probably should just move back to the VR thread since there isn't all that much posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

We are, I'm just helping running a gaming convention and got way distracted this week.

Stick100 posted:

Absolutely and loving it. I even started making some tracks. I did some Haul and Oats since they are some of the most popular musicians of all time but no one had done any tracks.

I would argue we probably should just move back to the VR thread since there isn't all that much posting.

You're probably right.

• Locked thread