Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Problem description: Was playing Strafe earlier and during a pretty standard part of the action (shooting some dudes, played the game for like 4 hours since it came out on Tuesday so it's not like the game immediately broke something), the game hard locked worse than I've ever seen a PC game lock up. Couldn't alt tab, ctrl+alt+del or anything, making a terrible, terrible noise so restarted my computer. Upon startup after the initial boot screen it just displayed a black screen and it's done that whenever I try various things, detailed below.

Attempted fixes: Once it started displaying the black screen, I booted in safe mode and disabled the card in control panel, can boot fine once I've done that. Tried rolling back drivers/reinstalling the current drivers with no results (just does the same thing). Had a look in the case and made sure it's all seated correctly, been years since I set it up but it looked fine. Had a look in the bios but that all looks unchanged/nothing popped out at me as unusual.

Recent changes: Nope, got new drivers the night before Prey came out, so like the 5th but it's all been fine since then, no changes this weekend for sure.

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64bit

System specs:
Motherboard: MSI-7823
CPU: Intel Core i5 4570
PSU:
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Radeon 7870
Montiors: Asus
HDD: OS is installed on Samsung 850 Evo 120GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yeah, most of the stuff is just saying to delete everything graphics card related (drivers and such) and then use CCcleaner to make sure it's all gone, then reinstalling the drivers.

I'm assuming it's just given up the ghost after 3 and a half years but not really sure, figured I'd ask here for any advice before I buy a new one. This is the first PC I built myself, one I had before this was a hand me down that I just used for dicking around on the internet that lasted ages but obviously couldn't play modern games. Not sure how long I should expect components like this to last really, bit of a bummer. If anyone can recommend something I haven't tried or a potential replacement that can play stuff at the same level but won't be crazy expensive in our glorious brexitopia that'd be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Continued fiddling with it after getting home from work today, noticed that the PCI and SM bus simple controllers were also showing with exclamation marks next to them. So I downloaded any drivers I could find for those and my motherboard, just in case any of that was causing the issue. Still had the same result, whenever I actually enable the graphics card after making whatever changes, it just displays a black screen. Finally I uninstalled the card, it was detected as a new graphics card in the device manager so I scanned it for hardware changes, which put it where it should be and made it recognise the make and such, scanning it again seemed to make it switch over to it and it goes back to displaying the black screen.

I'm assuming it is fully gone, I just need to know if there's any potential fixes I might be missing, I can afford a new card (looking at Geforce 1060) but I don't want to drop that money if I don't have to.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The main steps that come to mind for further testing would require another videocard or another computer. If you had another PCIE videocard then you could try it in the slot and see if it displays normally. Alternatively, if you had access to another machine you could try your videocard in it and see if the card works in a different computer.

• Locked thread