Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The juxtaposition of stealth and sprinting everywhere and never stopping is kind of weird. Like the earlier bits in the game when you are suposed to be sneaking around, but your default method of movement is sprinting like a maniac and karate-chopping every door open in the loudest way possible. Can Faith even open a door normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's totally normal for a game protagonist. But I would have liked to see, for example, Dogen have a large sign saying "Do not slam open door!" on it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The mission description starting with "Dogen did not break your legs" loving killed me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Crazy Achmed posted:

The juxtaposition of stealth and sprinting everywhere and never stopping is kind of weird. Like the earlier bits in the game when you are suposed to be sneaking around, but your default method of movement is sprinting like a maniac and karate-chopping every door open in the loudest way possible. Can Faith even open a door normally?
They can't see if you run fast enough!

Or if you shove them over a railing to their death.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Crazy Achmed posted:

As far as I know there are two options for opening doors: shouldering it open as you're running, or standing in place and kicking it open. She cannot open doors like a normal person.

This reminds me of one of my favourite dumb things in gaming. Playing RE4 and having Leon slowly open a door until it's basically all the way open and then dramatically booting it the rest of the way. Show me a clip of that when I'm 100 and on my death bed and it'll still make me laugh.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 14, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Agreed. Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGL31OUq15w

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Maybe it's for the best - slowly/carefully opening a door is often when you get ambushed by a jump scare. By forcing open every door she comes across Faith helps ensure she will never be ambushed trying to sneak into a room.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
And here is that TV broadcasts video. Only real notable thing is the new Black November broadcast seems reaaaaalllll late as it goes along with the second time Kruger talks about his daughter being rescued.

XX - TV Broadcasts 06 (polsy)

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Man, I love that part in Faith's conversation with Dogen when he yells "What else is there?" You get the impression from his discussions with her that he really cares about her, but isn't afraid to be a huge jerk to push her in the right direction.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Alright, last bit of side mission stuff in this video. The first one is kind of an interesting one.

17 - Exit Strategy (polsy)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I was hoping you were gonna do this mission.

The longest I ever got stuck in this game was trying to reach that bedroom balcony, for some weird reason.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
And here it is, the finale. There's a short scene after the credits (starting at 40:00) which involves a TV news broadcast. I'll be posting a video showing the whole thing, but I need another day or so to get it together.

18 - The Shard (polsy)

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 4, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, that level went back to giving me the sweaty palm , vertigo inducing feeling I was used to from the first game. Especially the parts that had you swinging around the edge of the building.

I also got a lot of a Half-Life vibe from it as well, oddly enough. The parts in the elevator shafts reminded me of the elevator level in Episode 1 when you need to go back into the wrecked Citadel for a bit and Gabriel really felt like they were trying to go in the direction of Wallace Breen, in that he's the antagonist but you don't fight him so much as verbally spar (and then die off screen).

The game ended with a pretty obvious hook but it remains to see if they'll bother continuing on this or if this reboot will be another orphaned failure; analysis estimate the game has sold between 1.5-2 million copies, making it almost as successful as it's predecessor. There's been no news on what the plans for this are next but Catalyst was apparently being hyped as a 'prequel' game. I suspect they mean prequel to whatever new series they have planned as this game has little that matches up with the original.

Thanks for playing through it, saved me having to wonder what was going on though I may still pick this up some day if it gets cheap enough. Problem is I never bother logging into Origin so I never see if it's on sale.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I was glad they ended the game with the Shard after dangling it in front of you all game. Especially that final tightrope walk.

I thought it was really weird the last boss is two normal enemies when there's no reason it couldn't have been the sister.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
Thanks for the great LP!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Kind of weird, it felt like the final section of the game actually had less running/parkouring than a lot of the rest of the game.

Also the ending sequence drama felt just a bit forced.

The game still looks great, though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for the LP.

Kuma is the best. :3:
Icarus is still a douche, but he would look a lot less like one if he dressed better.

I almost expected Kruger to show up in a mech suit or something for the end fight.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Isabel Kruger's guide to hand to hand combat: "spin kick left".

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Goddamn were my hands sweating during that whole climb, the tightrope walk, and the glass floors, and flinging yourself off of a giant fanblade jesus loving christ how is Faith just making chipper comments about the view when suspended hundreds of metres over the void

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Was Isabel really being kept alive by Reflection? She had some trouble when Reflection shut down, but then proceeded to outrun Faith, have a karate fight with Faith, and then escape a crumbling building with little problem.

I wonder if Isabel was so brainwashed by Kruger that she was willing to fake an "attack" for him in the hopes that Faith would cave and call off the virus to save her.

I like to think Isabel saved Kruger on the platform just so she could push him out of the drone and take over Krugertech in the end.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Hell the entire breathing problem thing could just be a fake leash by using reflection

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
For that last gridlocked mission?

I know why they had a huge atrium. Can you imagine the job requirements?

"Applicant must have 18 certificates, as well as 8 years parkouring experience. Office will be giant Atrium"

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
XX - TV Broadcasts 07 (polsy)

And there's the last TV broadcast. The interesting thing is they talk about Joanna Kruger another couple times (wish I had remembered this one when we had the discussion before). They specifically mention that she's the CEO of Kruger Holding and Chairman of the Conglomerate Board, but I'm still unclear about who this lady is supposed to be. There's some wiki that claims she's Gabriel's wife, but that doesn't sound right to me. You'd think the story would mention that Isabel was Joanna's daughter if that was the case.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm just wondering if this game was considered a sales success by EA or not. I have to think the costs of this game would have been decent.

I think the story in this game is superior to the original, if for no other reason than at least in this version Faith actually accomplishes something. In the original it seems like she's just pissed off the authorities and didn't do much else.

There is a lot of sequel bait here between Black November still being around, the stuff with Isabel which was not really touched on much, and the fate of Gabriel Kruger. Honestly for a sequel it would make more sense if it was a Faith vs. Isabel thing and Gabriel Kruger was officially dead. Kruger is too one-dimensional, whereas there's much more going on with Isabel.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

And there's the last TV broadcast. The interesting thing is they talk about Joanna Kruger another couple times (wish I had remembered this one when we had the discussion before). They specifically mention that she's the CEO of Kruger Holding and Chairman of the Conglomerate Board, but I'm still unclear about who this lady is supposed to be. There's some wiki that claims she's Gabriel's wife, but that doesn't sound right to me. You'd think the story would mention that Isabel was Joanna's daughter if that was the case.

She might be a cousin of Gabriel Kruger. Cascadia seems to be a full on neo-feudal state, what with Brigitte marrying her husband to cement a business deal, so having dynasties controlling the companies seems more likely than each being run solely by one person.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Way back, I used to joke that a Mirror's Edge sequel ought to bridge into Battlefield 2142.

Now, after blasting through this entire LP in one sitting and seeing the more fleshed out setting with Omnistat and Cascadia and even Sabaeus, I'm thinking that first 2 can be incremented by 1 and it'd work pretty good.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Fish Noise posted:

Way back, I used to joke that a Mirror's Edge sequel ought to bridge into Battlefield 2142.

Now, after blasting through this entire LP in one sitting and seeing the more fleshed out setting with Omnistat and Cascadia and even Sabaeus, I'm thinking that first 2 can be incremented by 1 and it'd work pretty good.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand the bolded part. What do you mean?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think he means that the setting would work for a Battlefield 3142.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Exactly. The setting's already had an apocalypse and recovery period, then a civil war, and it's been what 50 years since that? So the time scale would need to be pushed up a bit.

Get corporate military megamans with drones running around fighting comrade Fishers with surprisingly spacious portable hard drives. And then a Sabaeus cleric runs into the middle of them and wololos everyone within earshot onto their team for the rest of match.

• Locked thread