Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello again, Goons. Chairman Liquid Communism here.

It has been a long and quiet year since last our humble forum saw a challenge, and I cannot let that stand. Therefore, let us once again engage in the tradition that is Newbie Iron Chef Something Awful.

For those of you new to this, a little background from Wroughtirony's megapost :

Wroughtirony posted:

What is ICSA?
ICSA (Iron Chef Something Awful) is a series of online cooking contests loosely based on the Iron Chef TV series. In each contest, contestants must design and execute a menu based on whatever theme the chairman has chosen. The winner is picked in a poll that usually pops up a few days after the deadline, and REAL PRIZES usually get shipped out in a week or two. The chairman has nearly unlimited power to decide the rules of their specific event. Most entries are multi-course meals where the theme ingredient is featured in each course.

How do I enter?
Post a new thread for your entry, and link it in the chairman’s thread. A typical entry will include recipes and pictures of mise en place and major steps, but participants are encouraged to be creative in the way they present their entry as well as in their execution. A chairman may also add specific challenges or constraints in their ICSA regarding how they want you to enter.

What about NICSA?
NICSA (Newbie Iron Chef Something Awful) differs from ICSA in that it excludes ICSA winners, regulars and professional chefs from entering the final poll. (You can still enter if you work the line at Applebees.) The spirit of NICSA is to encourage as many people as possible to participate with a chance of winning, since the regular ICSA can be daunting due to the number of culinary heavy hitters who regularly enter.

So, on to our topic. For this challenge, I want you to craft for me your best example of a truly timeless classic, the picnic lunch. Create dishes that you could take outside somewhere, with another human being, and consume in a relaxing outdoor setting, and document them for the judgement of your fellow goons. 3 courses will be the standard, although feel free to go buck wild if you have more ideas. A main dish, a side dish, and a beverage will count.

Submission Rules :
1. Post a separate thread for your entry, then post here with a link.
2. Please have your username visible in your final pictures. We prefer to see your steps as well as your final product.
3. If possible, please include your recipe so that other Goons can try and recreate your dishes for their own consumption.
4. Does your recipe have a backstory? Tell us about it!
5. Have fun, and be creative. The theme is deliberately open to interpretation!
6. Questions? Ask in the thread or PM your Chairman.

I will be awarding prizes for the top two entries, as voted by the populace, as well as a Chairman's prize for the best picture of you and/or other living beings enjoying your picinic dishes outdoors!

First Prize :
$20 Amazon Gift Certificate
A physical token of my esteem.

Second Prize:
$10 Amazon Gift Certificate

Chairman's Prize:

You have until Midnight, 24 June 2017 to submit your entries, and judging will begin the following Monday.

So without further ado...

Allez cuisine!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aww yeah!

Edit: and a day later I See this is a NICSA. Is there an ICSA challenge?

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 17, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm totally just going to submit one of my lovely bento work lunches, because I WORK AT THE PARK AWWW YEAH and I have awesome co-workers that will find this hilarious.

\/\/ I will do a separate cold fried chicken recipe for extra points if you want. It cant be beat! \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 17, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yes!

I'm going to be deeply disappointed if someone doesn't go the cold fried chicken route. Best picnic food.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes!

I'm going to be deeply disappointed if someone doesn't go the cold fried chicken route. Best picnic food.

Can you do cold Korean fried chicken? I'm not really active on GWS, so maybe I'm eligible for this? If i could find time and a camera...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can you do cold Korean fried chicken? I'm not really active on GWS, so maybe I'm eligible for this? If i could find time and a camera...

Do it. NICSA is all about anyone who happens to glance at the post taking a shot at it.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I don't really post in GWS that actively either, but it does say newbie edition on the top and both Swedish national day and midsummer are coming up...

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
In. Maybe. Noob

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 27, 2017

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Excellent theme, I like it.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I'm in. Most of my picnics are just me at the park with a forty so it'll be a good change up to start including more traditional methods like food and other people.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is there an ICSA running as well? Or is it just NICSA?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Is there an ICSA running as well? Or is it just NICSA?

I decided to go with NICSA on this one as it is a pretty simple challenge.

If you'd like to see an ICSA, throw some ideas in the thread and drum up a sponsor! We could use one, but I don't want to run both at the same time myself. :)

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I'm hopefully going to get an entry in for this one, but would it be possible to extend from the 24th to the 26th? A Monday deadline means I can cook that weekend.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Could be doable, but I figure a month and a half is plenty of time to make it happen. You don't have to cook at the deadline, you know. :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TWO WEEKS REMAIN

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823350

Here goes nothing! I've always wanted to do one of these but have been put off by the amazing entries in previous competitions. I tired to do a bit of a gimmick with changing how I took the pictures halfway through. Hope it's not too obnoxious!

Looking forward to seeing the other entries!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823518

I did the thing! The lighting in my kitchen is awful!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ONE WEEK REMAINS!

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
I did a thing!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824528

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Question: what timezone is that midnight deadline?

I plan on doing the thing but a sad combination of work travel and apartment moving means I can only really cook tonight and tomorrow morning, which while certainly doable, makes me worry about having time for the write up as well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

On my timezone, you've got 30 hours before the deadline. I'm not going to bedgrudge a couple hours either way, though.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Sounds good, thanks! I'll free up enough counterspace on my kitchen to do the thing!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Welp, the goat I was going to make got ruined when the freezer got left open, and my grandmother broke her second hip while I was in the middle of making my modified entry, so the wind's out of my sails and my picnic is pretty much ruined :(

On the plus side I did manage to make a lot of cornbean salad so that'll feed me for the next few stressful days.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I made it! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824818

Suspect Bucket posted:

Welp, the goat I was going to make got ruined when the freezer got left open, and my grandmother broke her second hip while I was in the middle of making my modified entry, so the wind's out of my sails and my picnic is pretty much ruined :(

On the plus side I did manage to make a lot of cornbean salad so that'll feed me for the next few stressful days.
Sorry to hear that, SB. :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

IT IS FINISHED!

Thanks to everyone who participated, the judging thread will go up tomorrow!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

THE TIME OF JUDGEMENT IS UPON US!

The thread is here, go forth and vote!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Voting is complete!

Our winner, with 19 votes, is Oski!

Runner up cigaw scored 9 votes.

The Chairman's Award was a rough choice on this one, but I'm going to have to give it to Russian Guyovitch, in honor of properly made biscuits.

Gentlegoons, please reach out to me via PM or email at (my username minus the space at gmail) so that I can coordinate the delivery of fabulous prizes!

Thank you to all our contestants, voters and readers! I intend this to be a more often recurring thing, so watch this space for further ICSA events!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
Just wanted to share the awesome medal that LC posted all the way to England!

Oski fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 12, 2017

• Locked thread