Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Problem description: One day, I unplugged my computer while it was running. Very bad, I know. Since then, I've had various system instabilities: computer freezing up every now and then, especially if it was on for a long period of time. If I left my computer on overnight, I would always come back to a screen that appears when the computer boots with no hard drive attached to it at all. I didn't fix it, because as long as I rebooted my computer before doing stuff, it was okay. However, I updated my computer to the latest Windows 10 update, and I can't go more than fifteen minutes without it completely freezing: the mouse moves, but everything else is totally stopped. Have to hard-reboot every time it happens.

Attempted fixes:
  • reinstalled Windows 10
  • used each individual stick of RAM instead of both
  • set CPU back to stock clock/voltage
  • used CrystalDiskInfo in case SSD was the issue, that came back at 100% health
  • unplugged secondary HD
  • ran Prime95 to see if it would come up with any errors; it kept right on chugging even as Explorer.exe was crashing
  • used Core Temp to see if the computer was getting unusually hot when it crashes; it isn't (19-24C idle, 45-50C load)

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.15063

System specs:
i7-6700K (stock clock, used to be overclocked)
MSI Z170A SLI PLUS (MS-7998)
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
GeForce GTX 1070

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What's the brand and model of your power supply?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Alereon posted:

What's the brand and model of your power supply?

EVGA SuperNOVA 550

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Hit Ctrl+Shift+Escape to bring up the Task Manager. You can sort processes by CPU/RAM/HD use, or pop over to the Performance tab for charts of resource consumption. There's also a link to the Resource Monitor at the bottom of the Task Manager if you want a more technical view.

Keep this open and see if you notice anything happening before things go south.

It might be time to back up your hard drive, maybe try a new one? Unplugging the machine can make the HD sad.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I am hesitant to think it's a HDD problem, but you could run crystal disk info (get the portable edition for no anime) and post a screenshot. If it shows caution/bad hard drive is on the way out, but if it reports Good, that should be fine.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MF_James posted:

I am hesitant to think it's a HDD problem, but you could run crystal disk info (get the portable edition for no anime) and post a screenshot. If it shows caution/bad hard drive is on the way out, but if it reports Good, that should be fine.

I did that, disk health was at 100% (I put this in the OP). The anime was kind of endearing

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dr Cox MD posted:

Hit Ctrl+Shift+Escape to bring up the Task Manager. You can sort processes by CPU/RAM/HD use, or pop over to the Performance tab for charts of resource consumption. There's also a link to the Resource Monitor at the bottom of the Task Manager if you want a more technical view.

Keep this open and see if you notice anything happening before things go south.

It might be time to back up your hard drive, maybe try a new one? Unplugging the machine can make the HD sad.

At the time of taking this grandpa screenshot, I could not longer open programs or even the start menu. Basically there's nothing to see though, the programs themselves kept on running

https://i.imgur.com/XSiukdZ.jpg

Keep in mind that these issues persisted through a reformat/reinstall

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run http://www.memtest.org/ overnight to check RAM health.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Zogo posted:

I'd run http://www.memtest.org/ overnight to check RAM health.

Problem is identical using either stick of RAM and not the other

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

Problem is identical using either stick of RAM and not the other

It's possible that both are bad. Also, it could be a slot issue. Have you tried them in different slots?

If the RAM is okay I'd try using the onboard GPU temporarily and see if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you checked Device Manager to see if there are any alerts in there? Reseated the video card and the power connectors for it? Checked the system log to see if it is throwing a consistent error around the times it freezes?

• Locked thread