Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Is it about the Easter bunny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Can't figure out for the life of me if that Snootville thing people are talking about on Twitter is legit or a gag. Feels like something one of those parody DiscussingFilms knockoffs accounts posted, but people are talking about it like it's real. I genuinely have no idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What is it?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

https://x.com/BlackLCult/status/1777413831918043222

Snootworld, sorry. Not snootville

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

yes it is real

https://deadline.com/2024/04/david-...son-1235877710/

he also is very coy about whether or not he's working on other projects. this can mean only ONE thing,

twin peaks is Back

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

variety doing an interview in april 2024 with mark frost about twin peaks stuff???

https://variety.com/2024/tv/features/twin-peaks-mark-frost-david-lynch-laura-palmer-mulholland-drive-1235955147/

also a lot more positive towards/about David than some of Mark's other Peaks interviews can be.

folks it brings me little to no joy to say this, but Twin Peaks is totally completely absolutely 100% B--

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mark Frost on The Return posted:

It was more expensive than they wanted to be, but David handled that in the best way possible by threatening to leave the project.

God bless you, David Lynch :shobon:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Jerusalem posted:

God bless you, David Lynch :shobon:

Didn't work out so good the first time. Glad second time was the charm.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

folks it brings me little to no joy to say this, but Twin Peaks is totally completely absolutely 100% B--

I think it's A++ but that's ok if you disagree

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

variety doing an interview in april 2024 with mark frost about twin peaks stuff???

https://variety.com/2024/tv/features/twin-peaks-mark-frost-david-lynch-laura-palmer-mulholland-drive-1235955147/

also a lot more positive towards/about David than some of Mark's other Peaks interviews can be.

This is as much of a cut and dry explanation of the ending we'll ever get:

quote:

I think we were happy with where it ended up. I thought we might end it slightly earlier, initially with the disappearance when Laura doesn’t die, and we discover that things have been set right. But David reminded me, and rightfully so, “You’re not supposed to go back and fool with history. It’s almost written in stone.” And when we thought about it, it in a way revealed Cooper’s tragic flaw, which is that he can’t leave well enough alone. He thinks there’s always a wrong to be righted and somebody to be saved.

And the truth is, life isn’t as simple as that. And meddling with those forces can have unforeseen consequences. So I felt that that was absolutely the appropriate note to draw the curtain on this thing. And you never say never, but we haven’t talked about anything going forward at this point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My only "problem" with that interpretation is that while I agree it is a fatal flaw of Coop's, I think it's also one of his great strengths and something admirable/beautiful: he will NEVER stop trying to save somebody, and he will NEVER give up on trying for better things in the world. :shobon:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I think by using the word "tragic" he is sort of implying that (maybe). Like I wouldn't say "tragic flaw" when describing a bad person doing bad things, because they got what was coming to them.

I've seen every Lynch thing multiple times. Anyone have some (newish) recommendations to scratch the itch?

I'll recommend the recent horror movie Give Me Pity! (2022, I watched it on Shudder I think). Not necessarily because it's Lynchian but because it's a really well done and very specific art piece that I've been thinking about days after watching.

And obviously Poor Things which I finally got around to seeing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Constellation that just came out on AppleTV+ is probably not very good as a straight up sci fi but maybe works better if you watch it with Twin Peaks in mind. The second to last episode rules, although you have to wade through a lot of junk to get there.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jerusalem posted:

My only "problem" with that interpretation is that while I agree it is a fatal flaw of Coop's, I think it's also one of his great strengths and something admirable/beautiful: he will NEVER stop trying to save somebody, and he will NEVER give up on trying for better things in the world. :shobon:

Which is great if you're Coop, and maybe great if you're the person he's trying to save (although Carrie Page didn't do all that well out of it) but he will still roll the dice if it's a 1% chance to save the girl vs a 99% chance to unmake the world. For me, the point of giving that drive to all Coopers was to show that it's not an intrinsic good. The ending shows us that Coop doesn't even need to be malicious for it to cause harm, just misguided

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Coop destroyed the lives of Caroline and Annie, and the death of Laura by being an Awesome Guy

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

That's what makes tragedy tragic, even your best intentions and most noble aspects can drat you

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I dunno. I never felt that Cooper trying to right wrongs is what's causing all sorts of terrible things to happen insomuch that there are terrible forces that are causing all these terrible things to happen. There's an interesting story to be had with best intentions causing more problems but when you have an entity of pure malice out there making everything garbage, I found it hard to draw conclusions that Cooper was making things worse with his actions. It's nice to have someone trying to make things right, even if they need help from the person who died.

Ultimately, there's no one way to interpret these things. That interview, to me, is just a way the creators saw it but they're not one to dictate how others see it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

he made things worse for him and his loved ones simply by visiting the red room and getting on the nuclear electric monster radar

basically "from beyond" with coffee and pie

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
But Coop appeared to be operating under the Fireman's direction in the final episode. It wasn't just the case of him not knowing to leave well enough alone. This, plus the idea that Cooper essentially learned nothing over the 25 years he spent trying to solve Laura's murder, rankles me since it makes Season 3 feel like a shaggy dog story. It's why I'm partial to the Laura Bomb theory since that offers greater closure and provides a suitable explanation for the final image of Coop's face over the credits: Laura whispers something to the effect of "You killed me."

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Good intentions or bad, Cooper really should have had the common sense to hold off getting involved with Annie at least until the Windom Earle stuff blew over. Now that I'm thinking about it, would Earle still have come to Twin Peaks in the first place if Cooper hadn't been there?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

“Coop, it was YOU who killed me.”

“What kind of a stupid name is Yoohoo??”

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

But Coop appeared to be operating under the Fireman's direction in the final episode. It wasn't just the case of him not knowing to leave well enough alone. This, plus the idea that Cooper essentially learned nothing over the 25 years he spent trying to solve Laura's murder, rankles me since it makes Season 3 feel like a shaggy dog story. It's why I'm partial to the Laura Bomb theory since that offers greater closure and provides a suitable explanation for the final image of Coop's face over the credits: Laura whispers something to the effect of "You killed me."

He is obeying the fireman. I don’t think its so much that Cooper’s decision has universally poor consequences. Rather, the consequences are poor for him. He’s doomed to be chasing Laura across time and space forever, losing his humanity in the process, unmoored from reality, becoming something like Philip Jeffries

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

He is obeying the fireman. I don’t think its so much that Cooper’s decision has universally poor consequences. Rather, the consequences are poor for him. He’s doomed to be chasing Laura across time and space forever, losing his humanity in the process, unmoored from reality, becoming something like Philip Jeffries
this was more or less my interpretation too. I didn't get the impression that Cooper was making some gamble that places the world in danger, I got the impression that Cooper is so compelled to try and make things right, even when it may be impossible to make things right, that he will destroy himself in the process rather than give up.

Coop's final line in the show ("What year is this?") hits me like a ton of bricks because I think of it is the moment where he stops charging ahead just long enough for the enormity of his loss to begin catching up to him. Even if you assume the most optimistic interpretation of the plot that I can imagine (there is some plan to defeat Judy, it's about to come to fruition, and then Coop & friends can know peace), Cooper has still paid a terrible price in order to make it happen. And he was always going to do that, because he's as obsessed with saving the girl and righting a wrong as Captain Ahab was with catching that whale. It's why we love him, and it's why he was doomed.

I think the ending is open to a wide range of interpretations, except on that point - whatever he accomplished, however successful he was in saving the girl or defeating the bad guy, he more or less paid for it with his own life. Maybe Mark Frost has some greater consequences in mind, but I don't think his comments necessarily mean that - I think Cooper's own personal tragedy is all the tragedy you need to make sense of Frost's remarks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
look man coop is trying his best against unfathomable cosmic horrors alright. you try entering the lodge with perfect courage

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I read it as a metaphor for diving into trauma with the intention of fixing it. After Cooper gets unified into a whole functional person, he goes out and tries to solve the wrong that his universe revolves around. He keeps on digging until he's living in a version of it, with everything that he needs to correct things. Like they never happened, or at least a semblance of that.

And right when he is on the cusp of completing his quest, the rug is pulled out. He isn't in the reality that he constructed. Laura is dead, and what he actually accomplished was swimming out into dark waters, alone. Maybe with Laura in some sense, but in that case she is in the same predicament. And something pops, and there is stillness.

And maybe that's resolution, maybe that's him waking up or accepting it. It might have been inevitable that a person like Cooper found themselves there, like a destiny. It seems autobiographical to me, given Lynch's long time with TM.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Blotto_Otter posted:

this was more or less my interpretation too. I didn't get the impression that Cooper was making some gamble that places the world in danger, I got the impression that Cooper is so compelled to try and make things right, even when it may be impossible to make things right, that he will destroy himself in the process rather than give up.

Coop's final line in the show ("What year is this?") hits me like a ton of bricks because I think of it is the moment where he stops charging ahead just long enough for the enormity of his loss to begin catching up to him. Even if you assume the most optimistic interpretation of the plot that I can imagine (there is some plan to defeat Judy, it's about to come to fruition, and then Coop & friends can know peace), Cooper has still paid a terrible price in order to make it happen. And he was always going to do that, because he's as obsessed with saving the girl and righting a wrong as Captain Ahab was with catching that whale. It's why we love him, and it's why he was doomed.

I think the ending is open to a wide range of interpretations, except on that point - whatever he accomplished, however successful he was in saving the girl or defeating the bad guy, he more or less paid for it with his own life. Maybe Mark Frost has some greater consequences in mind, but I don't think his comments necessarily mean that - I think Cooper's own personal tragedy is all the tragedy you need to make sense of Frost's remarks.

This was my take, too, more or less. Coop is a ridiculously compelling main character for his up-beat and honest nature, and his qualities clash with the cosmic horrors and ultimately consume him. Whether this is a nihilist commentary on how nothing human can stand up to the horrors is another question, but Coop definitely paid the ultimate price for his sense of justice.

That said, it is also true that Coop brought ruin in his wake to Annie (and maybe Diane?) along the way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Genuinely one of the most damning things Coop did was undo the state of grace Laura won for herself by the end of Fire Walk With Me. She died at peace and as herself, and in his obsessive pursuit with perfection he sends her back to hell. Literally every woman around him suffers for his gallantry too, Caroline, Annie, Laura, Diane, it's almost like good intentions aren't enough...

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Yeah, agreed. I think that Lynch has some type A personality stuff going on, and knows that it's a mixed blessing.

Like in Blue Velvet, with the protagonist being a straight-laced young college man type, but that energy also being tainted with a voyeuristic obsession once he gets a taste of it. One that he doesn't understand because he is so straight-laced and intent on fixing things. And Booth seeing that in him.

Cooper seems a bit like an evolution of that. He sometimes wants to treat people like little puzzles to solve, so he can go sit down and enjoy his coffee and pie in satisfaction at a job well done. In a way that isn't alien to BOB wanting to play around with them in less wholesome ways.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

No Dignity posted:

Genuinely one of the most damning things Coop did was undo the state of grace Laura won for herself by the end of Fire Walk With Me. She died at peace and as herself, and in his obsessive pursuit with perfection he sends her back to hell. Literally every woman around him suffers for his gallantry too, Caroline, Annie, Laura, Diane, it's almost like good intentions aren't enough...

Yeah I agree with this, and the multiple Coopers really get us into the nitty gritty of the drives at the core of his personality. As you said, he's obsessively driven to pursue what he sees as solutions, and he's also very willing to give too much credence to guidance by otherworldly forces. Whether it's Dougie being led around by the nose by images of the red room and mysterious lights on paper, Bad Coop on the phone with whoever it was he believed was Philip Jefferies, or Cooper and the way he interacts with Mike (a being who feeds on human pain and suffering, lest we forget). I also feel like part of the point of Freddie is so we can see a version of this without it being dressed up in Kyle McLachlan's charisma or delivered gradually over multiple episodes. There are quite a few moments in The Return where a character or a concept in the show is broken down to its fundamental elements like this (and even as I'm typing this I'm thinking: like the literal breaking down of elements in the core of the nuclear explosion and drat this show is good at connected themes)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, Coop's flaw isn't "he wants to improve things," it's hubris: he believes he (and perhaps only he) can improve these things, and more importantly, he believes he can know, and handle, all the consequences for doing so. He's got the answers and he's going to make things better, except, oops, what he actually has is pride and a haughty spirit, and they come before destruction and the fall.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

He is the FBI.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shoulda stuck to finding the right out of 23 Douglas Joneses.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I pretty much agree on what people here have said, apart from exact details. I think the end does mean Cooper lost, and the White Lodge lost. "It is in our house now." Both the Fireman and Cooper were too sure of themselves and made some sort of (to us viewers) incomprehensible error, and were defeated by Judy. In addition, Cooper is slowly losing his humanity on the way. But I think that would have happened either way, since dealing with these unknowable beings inescapably makes you one of them.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, Coop's flaw isn't "he wants to improve things," it's hubris: he believes he (and perhaps only he) can improve these things, and more importantly, he believes he can know, and handle, all the consequences for doing so. He's got the answers and he's going to make things better, except, oops, what he actually has is pride and a haughty spirit, and they come before destruction and the fall.
"I'm accustomed to being more put together and competent than anyone else here, so I can wade into everything and everything will be set right by my being there. Any challenges will just temper my strength and resolve." He did it once when fully entering the black lodge the first time, and ultimately didn't learn even from having his personhood fragmented and putting it back together.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

went to a screening of twin peaks: fire walk with me. followed by a live q&a with sheryl lee! they didn't call on me to ask a question :(

I haven't seen the film in some years, I forgot how stop and go it is in terms of pacing. not necessarily a bad thing because lynch maintains the emotional throughline from scene to scene, I just forgot how jarring some of the cuts are.

mrs. lee seems very nice. I've never attended an actor q&a, I'm not a person who's into celebrities/actors, I don't get star struck, but I was planning to get an autograph and I did chicken out. but also, it was thirty bucks, I don't need a souvenior that bad!

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I paid for a signed photo from Sherilyn Fenn and it was extremely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I once had a casual chat with Sherilyn Fenn at a con I was working at. She’s very funny.