Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was just starting to blast "Pretty Noose" and then I thought about it a little more. Yikes. Not today. Next track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sir Lemming posted:

I was just starting to blast "Pretty Noose" and then I thought about it a little more. Yikes. Not today. Next track.

Try "Blow Up The Outside World" instead.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Been listening to Ty Cobb, Rusty Cage, Blow Up The Outside World, The Day I Tried to Live and Can't Change Me all day today. Man I'm bummed. :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've been listening to Soundgarden all day, but I switched it up for a moment to listen to "When I'm Down" and for some reason that really hit me like no other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x67Tzln1hZQ

I guess maybe because it sounds like he's having so much fun, and performing for the love of it, without any ironic detachment. Just belting the hell out of a song.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Puts so much of his music in a new light for me.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

"Thank You" destroys me today. To have SO MUCH LOVE for someone else, but none for yourself -- goddammit. And it makes me really really sad for his family.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7v6fE4H5BBK5591OjJM4gz

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Soundgarden is basically what got me through high school, and I was always under the impression that Ben was the one with bigger depression problems what with Head Down and all... but drat.

drat.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Thinking back to high school at the moment, my friend got a PlayStation (original one) a new stereo and Down on the Upside. I remember all of us in his room playing ESPN Extreme Games while listening to Blow up the Outside World. Good times for us.
Such sad news today.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Space Poodle posted:

You are not alone.

I actually feel bad for Cornell that Weiland keeps getting brought up in all the obits. Why not just add anything else that is "90's" and dead? Shannon Hoon! That guy from Sublime! My uncle who died in 1995! The Yo Queiro Taco Bell dog!

RIP Kurt, Layne, Chris, and Left Eye.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

Superunknown is the reason I joined Columbia House. Good rear end days!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/MollyShenKOMO/status/865419786993287168

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

That's really cool

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

I've been listening to Soundgarden all day, but I switched it up for a moment to listen to "When I'm Down" and for some reason that really hit me like no other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x67Tzln1hZQ

I guess maybe because it sounds like he's having so much fun, and performing for the love of it, without any ironic detachment. Just belting the hell out of a song.

i've been listening to this acoustic bootleg since yesterday and it's so good, for those reasons. Learned his rendition of billie jean and original fire, they feel sad to play. :( RIP

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.

repeating posted:

That's really cool

Nice picture. RIP CC.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
this has been really, really tough for me and I guess until yesterday I never really realized how integral soundgarden and CC were to my teenage and college years :(

yesterday i tried listening to euphoria morning and had to turn it off halfway through

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh dammit. This hits me hard. I thought he was doing pretty well. Haven't been this shaken about a musician death since Peter Steele.

Same, along with Dave Brockie of GWAR. gently caress, Soundgarden was my favorite band in the 90s.

I got really ripshit drunk and listened to their old records for hours last night.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 20, 2017

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My biggest regret is I never got to see GWAR when Dave was around. I even had tickets once.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Although I liked STP more than Soundgarden, the news of Chris Cornell's death hits me harder than Scott Weiland's did. Maybe it's because we all expected it from Scott Weiland. Maybe because of the five major bands associated with the grunge movement (Nirvana, STP, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam) which was such an essential part of my life in the early 90s, Cornell's death means that only one lead singer of those groups is still among us, with suicide and substance abuse taking the others. Sobering to see your musical idols die one by one. Playing Badmotorfinger or Superunknown, I'm transported back to the early 90s, driving to my girlfriend's house on a dark fall night. RIP Chris.

https://youtu.be/kA9vLHZFrcs

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
RIP Peter Steele. Miss that guy.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
‘I feel really sorry for the next city.'” :sadwave:

http://people.com/music/chris-cornell-final-show/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Knightsoul posted:

‘I feel really sorry for the next city.'” :sadwave:

http://people.com/music/chris-cornell-final-show/

I feel bad for people who have to live in Columbus, too. Once you get off campus it's strip malls and Sonics as far as the eye can see. A real armpit.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

I feel bad for people who have to live in Columbus, too. Once you get off campus it's strip malls and Sonics as far as the eye can see. A real armpit.

St. Louis was the city after Columbus. Radio station The Point (105.7) has an annual Pointfest, and this year it was split into two shows because gently caress the fans. Soundgarden was to host the 2nd show, which was going to be today. Instead, it's just dark and stormy.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

tarlibone posted:

St. Louis was the city after Columbus. Radio station The Point (105.7) has an annual Pointfest, and this year it was split into two shows because gently caress the fans. Soundgarden was to host the 2nd show, which was going to be today. Instead, it's just dark and stormy.

That makes more sense. St. Louis is a poo poo hole.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I tour with a small theater group and we just did those same cities a couple weeks ago, our venue in Detroit was next door to the Fox where that last Soundgarden show was. I hate it when people die on tours, last time I was on a tour in Scandinavia I became obsessed with Cliff Burton

St Louis has a lot of problems but also some good stuff going on and some very cool architecture. City Museum is great

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

He hated all of you.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

TequilaJesus posted:

He hated all of you.

That's real edgy of you, my man.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Eddie Vedder
AFAS Live
Amsterdam, NL
May 27, 2017
Set List

Ed Onstage- 8:47
Ed Offstage 10:55

The Red Limo String Quartet are:
Sietse van Gorkom-violin
Camilla van der Kooij-violin
Rani Kumar-viola
Jonas Pap-Cello

Before Glen’s set one minute of silence was observed for the victims of the bombing in Manchester, England.

Intro Music: Tuolumne

01. Long Road
02. Trouble-(Stevens)
03. Sometimes
(speaks to audience in Dutch)
04. Can’t Keep
05. Sleeping By Myself
06. Without You
07. Longing To Belong (with Jonas Pap playing cello)
08. The Needle and The Damage Done-(Young)
09. I Am Mine
10. Light Years
11. Good Woman-(Marshall)
12. Far Behind
13. No Ceiling
14. Guaranteed
15. Rise
16. I’m Open
17. Better Man
18. Immortality
19. Porch

Encore Break One

20. I’m So Tired-(Fugazi)
21. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
22. Imagine-(Lennon)

The Red Limo String Quartet comes on stage
23. “Heroes”-(Bowie, Eno) String Quartet and Ed vocal. (partial song) Ed adapts the lyrics at the “I, I will be king…” through “We can be Heroes” with some different lyrics and pulls lines from different sections. It only lasts 1:04 minutes/seconds.
24. Just Breathe
25. Lukin
26. Song Of Good Hope-(Hansard) {Ed sings main vocal, Glen plays guitar and sings harmony}
27. Falling Slowly-(Hansard, Irglová)-Glen sings main vocal and plays guitar. Ed sings lead on a verse and harmony vocals)
28. The End
The Red Limo String Quartet leaves the stage

29. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)
30. Hard Sun-(Peterson) with Glen Hansard

NOTES
-----------
"The show was pretty much entirely about Chris without directly mentioning him. It was clear Eddie couldn't bring himself to talk about it head on. He spoke a little how the healing process can start with music and made numerous references to how sad he was and how much he and his friends were struggling.

Frankly it is the bravest performance I have ever seen. At times it seemed like he was a word or two away from breaking into tears. He mumbled more than usual, he violently stamped into the floor on Immortality and others and after The End I thought he was ready to just walk off and not play anymore.

There were funny moments and he picked up in the second half. You could hear the crowd emotionally gasp when Light Years started.

On the outro to Sometimes he cried out "Where were you, dear God?" It was heart breaking."

and also
--------------
Fan screams
"I LOVE YOU"
Ed says
“Thank you.
I need it - we all need it.
I'm thinking of a lot of people tonight. And some in particular and their families.
And I just know that
Healing takes time
If it ever happens
It takes time
And
That means you have to start somewhere
So let it be music
Let it be love and togetherness
And let it be Amsterdam”

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gonna need a bootleg of that show.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
i know it's cliche to say that the most recent celebrity death is the first one to ever really effect you but... this one has for me. soundgarden was my favorite band from ages 12-16. like jerry cantrell said, chris seemed like the last person of any in the seattle scene that would succumb to an early demise. he seemed like such a cool, gracious and down-to-the-earth (for a rock star) guy who loved his children, which adds to the shock that his family and friends mentioned experiencing. i've watched the detroit show, as well as a few others preceding the last one just to see if anything was off. to go from performing on stage to arriving at your hotel room in 30 minutes, then having your bodyguard fix your computer, have a conversation with your wife, fasten a carabiner into the top of the door well enough so that it won't move, to being found by said bodyguard in ~35 minutes is an almost unbelievable timeline.

i lived in italy in 2014 and was talked into going to london to see soundgarden (and sabbath!) perform superunknown in its entirety in hyde park. even though my tastes have shifted significantly since high school, i'm glad to have seen my favorite album as a teenager performed live, as i was not able to see them before the break-up.

edit: that fugazi song that ed ved covered, "i'm so tired", is about suicide and also what chris said to his wife before hanging up. god drat. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1L0ywBATYA

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 31, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/chris-cornell-toxicology-report-reveals-several-prescription-drugs-in-singers-system/

quote:

The report reveals that the SOUNDGARDEN frontman had Naloxone (Narcan), Butalbital (a sedative), Lorazepam (Ativan), Pseudoephedrine (a decongestant) and barbiturates in his system when he was found dead after the band's performance in Detroit. He was 52.

:(

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Narcan? Why in the hell? From my armchair research, it looks like Narcan doesn't hang out in your system for more than an hour or so. Did he OD and have to be revived during the show or something?

repeating fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 2, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe he just took whatever he could score after the show. Maybe he thought it would get him high if he took enough+other pills. I think subutex will get you kinda high if you take it and you don't have a tolerance to opiates. Not sure about narcan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

the emts didn't know what he was on, they shot him with the narcan, the ativan is crazy, he admitted a double dose to his wife on the phone? he had an incredible tolerance for benzos for sure

• Locked thread