Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I have windows 7 Ultimate and I recently upgraded from a 128gb SSD to a 500gb SSD. I went to a Samsung 850SSD and used the cloneing tool. After doing that it said I have about 60~ windows updates. Everytime I run the updater it reboots and goes to the configuring screen it sits for a while and says Failure Configuring Windows Update. Then it spends about 20-30mins trying to revert changes, reboots a bunch, goes to black screen, then finally gets back into windows without the updates being applied..

Any ideas? I know cloneing is usually a bad idea, but I really didnt want to have to install everything.... I did unplug the old SSD..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You should post your full specs using the template stickied in the forum.

That said, do you have other drives in the computer aside from the SSD? What you describe sounds like what I've seen when the Windows bootloader is installed on a drive other than the one with the Windows install on it.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Problem description: I have already described the problem

Attempted fixes: Run the windows installer

Recent changes: Coned a smaller SSD into a Bigger SSD and unplugged the smaller

--

Operating system: 64bit Win 7 ultimate

System specs: I had an old small ssd and a hd hooked up. Bought a bigger SSD cloned the smaller SSD into the bigger SSD, unplugged the smaller SSD. Recently it told me I had like 64 windows updates, tried to run them, and now i am having the issue. I currently have a SSD and regular HD plugged in/.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Really knowing CPU, RAM, and motherboard specs would be helpful, but from what you describe I'm guessing the Windows bootloader is on your HDD rather than the SSD. See what happens if you disconnect the HDD and boot the machine with only the SSD connected. If you get a prompt saying something along the lines of no operating system found then it pretty much establishes that is the problem.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
CPU: i5-2500k 3.30ghz
RAM: 16gigs G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
MB: GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
SSD: 850samsung

I unplugged the HDD and the PC turned on fully and booted into Windows normally

fyallm fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 21, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, have you looked at the Windows Update log to see if you can determine which update is failing?

After cloning the SSD did you grow the Windows partition to fit the actual size of the new drive or did you add another partition?

Have you tried running the Windows Update fixit tool?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2714434/description-of-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Okay, have you looked at the Windows Update log to see if you can determine which update is failing?

After cloning the SSD did you grow the Windows partition to fit the actual size of the new drive or did you add another partition?

Have you tried running the Windows Update fixit tool?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2714434/description-of-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

I am pretty sure I grew it.

And when I look at the log there are a BUNCH that failed.

I will try and run that tool

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I attached what the issue is... And it says it couldn't fix it. wtf

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ugh, there is something especially frustrating about Windows Update errors.

A few more things that come to mind:

Open up the task manager before running the troubleshooter and if the Windows Update service is running (wuauserv) then kill it.

Try the above in Safe Mode with networking.

You could also try running Ccleaner to see if scrubbing out the registry takes care of anything (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner).

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Ugh, there is something especially frustrating about Windows Update errors.

A few more things that come to mind:

Open up the task manager before running the troubleshooter and if the Windows Update service is running (wuauserv) then kill it.

Try the above in Safe Mode with networking.

You could also try running Ccleaner to see if scrubbing out the registry takes care of anything (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner).

I downloaded CCleaner and did all the registry things, like 600~ or something it fixed. Rebooted, checked task manager no wuauserv was running, ran the troubleshooter and same problem :(

Next will be to try and run the troubleshooter in safe mode with networking.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Still the same issue :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You could try running sfc /scannow from an adminstrator command prompt and see if it finds anything. I guess checking drive health using CrystalDiskInfo (portable edition is anime-free) wouldn't be a terrible idea, although this behavior seems more likely to be a Windows thing than anything else. http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

• Locked thread