Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Problem description: My computer boots but there is no display. Nothing was giving me any indication of a problem brewing. I turned my computer off normally last night and this morning it boots, but there is no display.

Attempted fixes:
-Reseated the memory.
-Reseated the GPU.
-Cleared the CMOS.
-Checked multiple displays/display configurations. My GPU is connected to my monitor (DVI) and to my TV (HDMI). Neither display is receiving a signal, in fact my TV says "No Signal" when it normally would be displaying my desktop. There is no display when the GPU is removed and my monitor is connected to my motherboard (DVI).

Recent changes: I built this computer 4 years ago, on this very weekend. The only changes I've made since were In the past 30 days - I added a new HDD and replaced a case fan. My old HDD was approaching eight years old so I put a new one in and copied data from old to new. The old HDD is still in my computer. My OS is installed on a SSD that was new four years ago.

I think it's worth noting that while I've been troubleshooting this morning, sometimes when I turn my computer off I have to hold the power button and other times simply pressing the power button will turn it off. It seems like sometimes it's getting to the operating system (press and hold power button for shutdown) and sometimes it's not getting to the OS (only press the power button for shutdown).
--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs:
Motherboard: MSI z77a-gd55 Motherboard
GPU: MSI GTX 660-TI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaw 8 GB (2x 4GB)
CPU: i5 3570K
SSD: Corsair Force Series GS 2.5" 360GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-F360GBGS-BK
Old HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM
New HDD WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V
Case: Antec 900

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd start by visually inspect the motherboard for anything obvious like a blown cap or scorching. You don't happen to have another PSU around to try? The fact you aren't getting video from the onboard even with the GPU removed is worrying.

Since you were working in the case recently it might also be worth taking the motherboard out of the case and seeing if it will boot normally when sitting on a non-conductive surface. If a screw or other debris got in there while you were swapping HDDs you might be getting a short from the case.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd start by visually inspect the motherboard for anything obvious like a blown cap or scorching. You don't happen to have another PSU around to try? The fact you aren't getting video from the onboard even with the GPU removed is worrying.

Since you were working in the case recently it might also be worth taking the motherboard out of the case and seeing if it will boot normally when sitting on a non-conductive surface. If a screw or other debris got in there while you were swapping HDDs you might be getting a short from the case.

I don't have any other PC components available to test. Last summer I looked at my like of old parts and then recycled them. :(

My motherboard looks fine - no scorching or damage I can observe. I'll see about removing the board and booting outside the box, but I'm not expecting to get any better results from that. I was very careful when I was working in it. I cleaned my work surface before opening the case and all the work I did was at the front of the case sliding in the new HDD and replacing a fan on the front of the case. The only work I did near the motherboard was plugging in my HDD and even then it was a clear shot to that connection.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was fiddling around with some stuff tonight and decided to give this thing one last power on and my TV got signal from the computer. I can't detect my monitor though. I think the problem is with my DVI cable and/or my monitor. I will be borrowing a DVI Cable and a monitor tomorrow to test this hunch. This is a big relief, potentially! I was not looking forward to dropping money on a new build.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cool - hopefully it is something as simple as a cable. It should have occurred to me to suggest another cable, too.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think it's the monitor now. My wife's laptop has a VGA out so I connected it to the monitor with a VGA to DVI cable and it can't detect the monitor. I've been using this monitor hard since August 2009, I think I've got my money's worth out of it. Now it's time to shop for a monitor... hopefully this is less stressful than a comp build!

I appreciate your help regardless. It's not like you're getting paid to help the people that post on these forums!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

No problem - just happy to be of any help.

• Locked thread