Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Gunslinger should've been directed by Jodorowsky decades ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Dark tower seems like an inherently doomed property. Like say you recreate the first 3 scene for scene and everyone loves them. What do you do next? actually film the weird harry potter and doctor doom stuff that made up the second half of the story?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They didn't even have lobstrosities. WTF is this tentacle bullshit?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Dark tower seems like an inherently doomed property. Like say you recreate the first 3 scene for scene and everyone loves them. What do you do next? actually film the weird harry potter and doctor doom stuff that made up the second half of the story?

The problem is that the movie completely wastes the chance to refine and adjust the material by having it be set in the Horn Of Eld cycle. Ideally, given the nature of the new cycle, a competent filmmaker would expand on the source materials strength, and reduce the weaker aspects. That would especially be useful towards the back half of the series where it gets extremely meta. You could totally do Wolves Of The Calla, but adjust the designs of the Wolves so they act as more homage than direct adaption. Or hell, make them something new altogether. The new cycle was basically offered full approval to do whatever, but they somehow managed to use that opportunity to make the most boring, pedestrian end product possible.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It really just does seem like the thing everyone would want is the first few books faithfully adapted very close to the books and then the second half just basically totally rewritten. Like I think I like the later books more than some people but they are meh stories that would make the worst movies imaginable. It feels like a project that was a movie series that had two phases like that would be really hard to sell. Like pitching "I got this movie series, the first half is all really good but most people hate the second half! "

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I actually quite like the later books as well, but I don’t think it’s too out there to say that adapting them would be a logistical nightmare, not only in terms of gaining rights to other properties, but in terms of how the narrative gets a little loosey goosey towards the end. I still think there’s good stuff in those installments, especially in terms of examining the purpose of storytelling, but you’d definitely have to do some writing yoga to make it coherent enough for a filmed medium. Off the top of my head one of the major changes I would make would be to introduce Mordred to the story significantly earlier. His arc might work fine on the page where you have the benefits of an internal monologue, but without that you’d need a lot more time to establish what the character is and what his purpose is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The early ones were good, but everything started sliding downhill after Wizard & Glass, eventually culminating in some of the most drawn out and terrible death scenes in modern literature. The Dark Tower series is everything that's good about Stephen King and everything that's really really bad as well.

The fact they couldn't get the first book done right (and yes I know it's actually the 8th book so to speak) doesn't bode well since it was the most straight forward of the lot.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I honestly feel like a good writer could mash wolves into a reasonable movie and "the dark tower" could get stripped down to an outline and rewritten better but that it still leaves "song" hanging out.

I can not imagine any possible way that even one second of song could get filmed that made anything resembling a movie anyone would watch. wolves and tower have a lot of work to make them good but at least have some seeds where you can see what they could work from to fix things, song just seems like there is not one single story beat that could even remotely make it into a film.

Like you can cut out the lightsabers in wolves and say "well the loop part is cool and there is an IT spider" in dark tower but there is no conceivable thing you could do to song that makes any of it filmable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Amazon's programming director has been open about the fact that their focus is now chasing that Game of Thrones dragon which is why I'm skeptical that any Dark tower adaptation of the theirs would deliver on the promise of the first few books instead of leaning super hard on being epic fantasy with guns.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I honestly feel like a good writer could mash wolves into a reasonable movie and "the dark tower" could get stripped down to an outline and rewritten better but that it still leaves "song" hanging out.

I can not imagine any possible way that even one second of song could get filmed that made anything resembling a movie anyone would watch. wolves and tower have a lot of work to make them good but at least have some seeds where you can see what they could work from to fix things, song just seems like there is not one single story beat that could even remotely make it into a film.

Like you can cut out the lightsabers in wolves and say "well the loop part is cool and there is an IT spider" in dark tower but there is no conceivable thing you could do to song that makes any of it filmable.

Counterpoint: the grocery store shootout was pretty cool.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Reminder that Ready Player One is being made into a movie without a hint of irony.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Song’s a brick wall, I’ll give you that. It’s easily the weakest book in the series, worsened by the fact that so little of substance actually happens in it until the very end. That’s a major point where whoever is helming an adaption would have to get a little creative.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Well, I finally watched it and it was as not good as I had heard.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, I finally watched it and it was as not good as I had heard.

Just curious, did you hear anything other than "one of the worst movies I have ever seen?" I don't think I've seen anyone say one single positive thing about this movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RCarr posted:

Just curious, did you hear anything other than "one of the worst movies I have ever seen?" I don't think I've seen anyone say one single positive thing about this movie.

Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey were very good in their respective parts, and I would love to see more of them in better movies.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have a friend who works as a CO in a federal prison. She said they loved this at movie night. :shrug:

I guess when you're starving a saltine is a feast.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I did like what they came up with for the way Roland takes out Walter though, how he deflects a bullet with another bullet. It was a great way to show Walter's powers are limited and that he overestimates his invulnerability. When it comes down to it he's just a magician with some dramatic tricks.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

I did like what they came up with for the way Roland takes out Walter though, how he deflects a bullet with another bullet. It was a great way to show Walter's powers are limited and that he overestimates his invulnerability. When it comes down to it he's just a magician with some dramatic tricks.

It’s also a hell of a way to show how inhumanly skilled Roland is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Phylodox posted:

Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey were very good in their respective parts, and I would love to see more of them in better movies.

We saw different movies.

• Locked thread