Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wasey
Apr 6, 2009
The last thread has been dead for close to three years, so let's see what has changed since 2014. I'm going to New Orleans for a long weekend in June and am in need of recommendations and critiques of the current food list that we have put together. Our hotel is in the french quarter so most of the places I have so far are in that general area. We fly in Thurs night and head home Sunday evening.

So far:

CDM
Verti Marte
Coop's Place
Mother's
Central Grocery for muffalettas
Willie Mae's Scotch House for fried chicken

Maybe:
Arnoud's - the website and various reviews make this place seem kinda stuffy, is it worth packing a jacket to dine there?
Commander's Palace - same as Arnoud's, we are planning on taking a tour of the garden district and will be in this general area

Any glaring omissions here? We are looking for beignets, po'boys, and general Cajun and Creole magic. Also as an aside to the dining, is there a recommendation for a company that does tours of the garden district? Is one even needed? We are also doing a cemetery tour with Save Our Cemeteries (St. Louis 1 and 2), any thoughts or reviews on on these guys?

Thanks and sorry for the bombardment of questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Fantastic list, tossing one of my standbys in though:

Tujague's

It was where I developed my love of brisket.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Of those places listed I would only really look into Verti Marte and Willie Mae's. Parkway Tavern has better po boys but if you are sorta centered around the Quarter I could see not making it a priority and Verti is still great.

Arnoud's is real stuffy and good but not like amazing for the price. If you want upscale dining look into Sylvain or Compere Lapin or especially Coquette if you are interested in the Garden District. Domenica is always good and their happy hour pizzas are a tremendous value. All of the Besh restaurants have good daily happy hours so look into them.

Cafe Reconcile on Oretha Castle Haley has good simple soul food with a noble mission. Cochon Butcher makes really solid non-po boy sandwiches as does Turkey and the Wolf which is up for a Beard Award I think. Killer Po-Boy's in the Erin Rose should also probably be on your list.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

wasey posted:

So far:

Willie Mae's Scotch House for fried chicken

Definitely get the lima beans at Willie Mae's :yum:

Also, there may be a better place that someone can recommend, but I really love the chargrilled oysters at Acme Oyster. I think their jambalaya was good too, but it's been a while since I've been to remember.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was there in March after many visits. Your list is good, but I found two new ones on this visit that I loved. Arnoud's French 75 for drinks and appetizers, and Peche (run by the same people that do Couchon). Had one of my top five meals at Peche.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Gotta go to Felix's for oysters and jambalaya.

Suck it up, face the crowds, and hit Cafe du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets. Stop by Napoleon House for a couple of cold beers after walking around. Make like Katrina and have a Hurricane at Pat O'Briens.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
List is good, add oysters at the French market if you like them.

I enjoyed dinner at The Old Coffee Pot in St. Peter's street when I was there in May 2015. If that still exists (google maps says so) check it out, it is right at but away from the bustle of Bourbon, neat little place with a great sample plate of Jambalaya + Gumbo and the prices were okay and service was attentive and friendly.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
When are you going? I want to give you a full local's rundown but I can't do it immediately.

How mobile are you?

How long are you staying?

What is your price range?

Anything you don't eat?

wasey
Apr 6, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When are you going? I want to give you a full local's rundown but I can't do it immediately.

How mobile are you?

How long are you staying?

What is your price range?

Anything you don't eat?

-No car but we can Uber wherever we need to go, relatively in shape and will be able to walk for miles

-Staying three full days, arrive Thursday evening (6/15), leave Sunday evening (the 18th)

-Not too concerned regarding price, it is a short trip and we are shooting for a fun weekend

-No restrictions. Food is one of the main reasons we are going!

Thanks for taking the time to write something up, I appreciate it!

wasey fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 8, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Okay, here is a grand summary. I will probably think of some other stuff later and add it but have fun in New Orleans!

First, on Commander's Palace, Galatoires, and Arnaud's - yes, all are stuffy and old. But both have lots of New Orleans history and you will get the full NOLA old-line feel. Food is decent but nothing to write home about. I really, really recommend venturing out of the quarter and trying some other stuff, but one of those places is probably worth it just for the experience. I would say Commander's so you can see the garden district...as far as yours yes you should go and I know I see waking tours all the time but I can't really recommend one.

Great restaurants/bars any of which I highly recommend, not in any particular order. You really should get out of the quarter and down St. Charles if you can just to see it--it's a very cool avenue.

Peche - excellent seafood, 100% recommendation, in the CBD (downtown), if you can't get a reservation there is a big bar and an oyster bar too
Shaya - Israeli food uptown on Magazine Street, great place if you can get a table (local secret tip--they don't take reservations for the outdoor patio so if the weather is good you can probably walk in and get one of those if you go around 6-6:30)
Meril - Emeril's newest place, in CBD on Girod, very good smallish plates
Pizza Domenica - Magazine St uptown, great pizzas and bar
Herbsaint - you can catch the streetcar on St. Charles just off of Canal and ride it a few blocks until you get to Herbsaint
Ancora Pizza – neapolitan pizza spot, really the best pizza but a bit further out on Freret St
Cure – cool cocktail bar also on Freret. If you are interested I would recommend making a night of both Cure for drinks and then Ancora for dinner
Cochon - this will require cabs from the FQ, it's on Tchoupitoulas in the Warehouse District, but it's awesome
Cochon Butcher – next door to Cochon, bar and sandwiches, excellent
Elizabeth’s – breakfast place, best in town in my opinion, in the Bywater
Sylvain - FQ, block from St. Louis Cathedral on Chartres towards Canal, kind of a gastropub feel
Mo Pho – vietnamese/cajun fusion, on City Park Blvd by the Burger King (trust me)
Parkway Bakery and Tavern – po boys, in Mid-City
Hot Tin Bar – rooftop bar in Ponchartrain Hotel, on St. Charles, very cool view and good drinks
Columns Hotel - cool old hotel on St. Charles avenue with a porch bar, definitely go if you can even only for just a few drinks

Bars and other places in the downtown area (CBD, quarter, etc). I like all of these and they are all cool for a pub crawl. Most of the places above have restaurant bars as well so keep that in mind.

Cane & Table – bar/restaurant in the back of the quarter area on Royal
Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop (Bourbon at St. Philip) - classic, sort of divey place in an old-rear end house from like 1700 (Bourbon St, toward the back of the quarter)
Napoleon House (St. Louis at Chartres) - another old building with lots of history
Hotel Monteleone Carousel Bar (Royal St. between Bienville and Iberville) - cool place in an old hotel with a piano and a revolving bar
Fritzel's (Bourbon between Orleans and St. Ann) - small place for watching live, old new orleans-style jazz, where you sit and they bring you drinks. music goes pretty late so you can get there at 10 if you want
Ace Bar – rooftop bar in the Ace Hotel, Josephine Estelle restaurant downstairs has great homemade pasta too
Bacchanal - indoor/outdoor music venue in the Bywater with food, super cool spot to spend an afternoon if the weather cooperates :)

Breweries – these are all in the warehouse district, a short cab from the quarter

NOLA brew pub - Tchoupitoulas, cool outdoor/indoor bar by the port and very good BBQ food
Urban South Brewery - never been here but the beer is good, usually only food trucks for food
Port Orleans - further up Tchoupitoulas, not sure about the food as this place just opened

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 11, 2017

wasey
Apr 6, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

tons of great info

Thank you so much, this is an awesome list!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Breweries – these are all in the warehouse district, a short cab from the quarter

NOLA brew pub - Tchoupitoulas, cool outdoor/indoor bar by the port and very good BBQ food
Urban South Brewery - never been here but the beer is good, usually only food trucks for food
Port Orleans - further up Tchoupitoulas, not sure about the food as this place just opened

This list is missing Courtyard Brewery which is probably the best locally-made beer in the city. None of their stuff is distributed at all but it's all fantastic (particularly the west coast IPAs), and they'll usually have 15-20 beers by other breweries on tap as well.

Also, if you're taking a day uptown for Commander's or whatever, the Avenue Pub is more or less the granddaddy of the whole craft beer scene here - massive selection, very knowledgable staff, and extremely chill. They were on our NPR station's food show last year because they closed down for a week in order to take their whole staff to Belgium to tour breweries.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ekeog posted:

This list is missing Courtyard Brewery which is probably the best locally-made beer in the city. None of their stuff is distributed at all but it's all fantastic (particularly the west coast IPAs), and they'll usually have 15-20 beers by other breweries on tap as well.

Also, if you're taking a day uptown for Commander's or whatever, the Avenue Pub is more or less the granddaddy of the whole craft beer scene here - massive selection, very knowledgable staff, and extremely chill. They were on our NPR station's food show last year because they closed down for a week in order to take their whole staff to Belgium to tour breweries.

Thanks for the additions, I've never been to Courtyard and it's been over 10 years since I last went to the Avenue. The craft beer scene is pretty new here, only started getting going a few year ago seeing as Abita had a quasi-corrupt stranglehold on the market until then.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

No trip report?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Probably still in a food coma

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ekeog posted:

loving awesome. Trying the IPAs right now and you are spot on. Best in the city.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No trip report?

Coming out of the diabetic coma, we had a great weekend!

Thurs night: beignets at Cafe du Monde (least favorite beignets of what we tried), Coop's Place

Friday: beignets at Morning Call (best beignets), Cochon, jambalaya from Felix's on Bourbon, Verti Marte ,

Saturday: beignets at Cafe Beignet, nice crepes at the farmer's/coop market, Willie Mae's for fried chicken, hurricanes at Pat O'Briens

Sunday: more beignets from Cafe Beignet (a couple blocks from the hotel, easy choice), muffaletta from central grocery

We walked around the French Quarter and CBD a fair amount and enjoyed everything we did/ate, this only scratched the surface though and we are looking forward to our next gluttony adventure when we return

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

loving awesome. Trying the IPAs right now and you are spot on. Best in the city.

Excellent!

I can't say enough good things about the owner/brewmaster, Scott - they hit a really sorely lacking aspect of the beer market here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

wasey posted:

Coming out of the diabetic coma, we had a great weekend!

Thurs night: beignets at Cafe du Monde (least favorite beignets of what we tried), Coop's Place

Friday: beignets at Morning Call (best beignets), Cochon, jambalaya from Felix's on Bourbon, Verti Marte ,

Saturday: beignets at Cafe Beignet, nice crepes at the farmer's/coop market, Willie Mae's for fried chicken, hurricanes at Pat O'Briens

Sunday: more beignets from Cafe Beignet (a couple blocks from the hotel, easy choice), muffaletta from central grocery

We walked around the French Quarter and CBD a fair amount and enjoyed everything we did/ate, this only scratched the surface though and we are looking forward to our next gluttony adventure when we return

Hell yeah that's a good sampling. I know Cafe du Monde is on the touristy side of things, but I think it's worth a visit. Glad you stopped by Felix's! That's a go-to spot for me!

• Locked thread