Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Livewire42 posted:

Are the Blades gonna recruit Theth-i? Late Dragonborn reveal?

There are many events that can come up in Elder Kings and one will show up next update that opens certain avenues I hadn't thought of before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You're descended from Reman now, right? Does it have to do with that?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Yikes, things were looking a little touch-and-go there for a while, but by the Nine Theth-i is the hero we needed! I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Chapter IX: ...And The Stone

Trials of St. Alessia posted:

And Akatosh drew from his breast a burning handful of his Heart's blood, and he gave it into Alessia's hand, saying, 'This shall also be a token to you of our joined blood and pledged faith. So long as you and your descendants shall wear the Amulet of Kings, then shall this dragonfire burn -- an eternal flame -- as a sign to all men and gods of our faithfulness. So long as the dragonfires shall burn, to you, and to all generations, I swear that my Heart's blood shall hold fast the Gates of Oblivion.

-- from the liturgy of the Re-Kindling of the Dragonfires

Queen Theth-i's conquests greatly benefited the House of Azethal, whose many members often were picked to rule newly conquered provinces. An example of this is duchess Rona II, Theth-i's sister, who was granted Northhall in 556 2E.

Rather than wait to be stripped of their titles and see their lands fall into the hands of an Azethal, many minor titleholders willing accepted vassalage. In the grasslands and forests of southern Hammerfell Queen Theth-i's rule was absolute.

What little of the temperate south that remained independent was rapidly being absorbed, such as the conquest of County Elinhir by Theth-i at the request of her husband, the newly installed duke of Elinhir.

But for all of her success a fundamental problem remained: Queen Theth-i I was fully convinced that her forces were unsuited to campaigning in the Alik'r Desert which dominated western Hammerfell. Theth-i's victories had always been in the plains, forests or mountains and Rihad's small trade fleet could not provide enough ships to supply a major conquest by sea. So for a time the great queen remained at home, forced to be content with hunting down bandits when she'd rather be out on campaign.

This is not to say that 558 to 562 were wasted years. Theth-i busied herself with managing the realm, studying the strategies of the greats (including her ancestor, Reman Cyrodil) and instructing her son, Juncan, in the arts of war and swordsmanship. But in the myths and legends of Queen Theth-i these four years hold little of the excitement found elsewhere in her life.

Little, except for the meeting of Queen Theth-i I and Demetrius Ibn God's Peak. The Dragonguard began long ago as Akaviri dragon hunters in a time long past. They wiped the creatures out in their homeland and pursued them in Tamriel, slaying a great number in Skyrim. When they heard Reman I Cyrodil speak in the tongue of the dragons at Pale Pass they swore their allegiance to him and his dragonblooded descendants. With them at his side he went on to conquer nearly all of Tamriel and usher in the Second Empire, which lasted until the assassination of Reman III. After his death, the Dragonguard disbanded.

Some quit the order to become mercenaries, others hid out in the far corners of Tamriel to continue their traditions and others remained in the Imperial City to prevent any but a truly worthy lord with dragon's blood from sitting upon the Ruby Throne. The Akaviri Potentates never claimed the title of emperor or the throne itself (although they were, in all other ways, emperors) so the zealous Dragonguard were tolerated. In 547 as Theth-i's soldiers raided the imperial palace in the White Gold Tower she met with the leader of the chapter there, who told her she would face no opposition from them, so long as the throne was left alone. She ordered her soldiers to do so.

Perhaps it was there, in the throne room of the Imperial City, that the Dragonguards first took note of her. In 560 2E Demetrius Ibn God's Peak, grandmaster of the Dragonguard, offered the Amulet of Kings to Queen Theth-i I and swore allegiance to her and her heirs. Theth-i dubbed them her "Blades" and announced that at last her destiny had been revealed to her.

She would not take her forces north, to finish the conquest of Hammerfell. She would head south, to conquer Cyrodiil, seize the Imperial City and relight the Dragonfires and bring forth a new era.

Among the Blades who swore loyalty to their new Queen was a runaway Nord noblewoman, who had wanted a life of combat and adventure rather than become the placid housewife of some Solitude merchant. Prince Juncan was impressed by her talents and she by his equitable treatment (Nordic culture has always been a bit less...liberal in regards to the position of women in comparison to Redguardian). Theth-i gave her blessing and Hert Eel-Eared soon became her daughter-in-law and one of her most trusted commanders.

Queen Theth-i was soon to need all the good commanders she could get, as she began the Anvil-Kvatch Campaign.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

So, what just happened?

The Amulet of Kings has, at its center, the crystallized blood of either Akatosh the god of time or Lorkham the trickster god of creation (depends on who you ask). The Ayleids were a bunch of slavery loving elves who colonized Cyrodiil a long time ago, there they built the White Gold Tower and created it's "stone", the giant ruby in the amulet (there are a bunch of towers, each has a stone, if the stone is destroyed the tower deactivates which is bad because the towers "anchor" reality). The Amulet is also important because it is used to light the Dragonfires, which go out every time the current emperor dies and as long as the Dragonfires are burning daedra cannot exist permanently in Nirn (the world). This is why when you summon stuff in an Elder Scrolls game it goes away after awhile.

The Amulet of Kings disappeared after Reman III died. It's just as well since only someone with dragon blood can wear the thing. This effectively means that you need to be a Dragonborn or the descendant of one to wear the amulet. The Blades approached Theth-i because, as a descendant of Reman, she has a little bit of dragon blood (although she doesn't have the "dragon blood" trait in game since it needs to be after the start of the game).

In game having dragon blood, the amulet and controlling the Imperial City allows you to light the dragonfires, which give you a nice fat prestige boost. More interestingly, forming the Empire of Tamriel and having all those other things AND being of the Eight Divines faith lets you ascend to godhood after you die, just like old Tiber Septim himself did. Afterwards every descendant gets the "my dad is literally a god" trait which is quite prestigious since, y'know, god of mankind and all. We wont be doing that, since our ruler is not of that faith, but I am planning on seeing how close to conquering Cyrodiil and Hammerfell I can get.

Clayren fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 16, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

One wonders if the Blades are going to try to take over the kingdom, or if the other realms will go after Theth-i on account of having such serious bling.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Chapter X: The Anvil and Kvatch Campaigns

Remanada posted:

And the spirit fled from them, and they split among hills and forests to find her, all grieving that they had become a villainous people. Hrol and his shieldthane were the only ones to find her, and the king spoke to her, saying, I love you sweet Aless, sweet wife of Shor and of Auri-el and the Sacred Bull, and would render this land alive again, not through pain but through a return to the dragon-fires of covenant, to join east and west and throw off all ruin. And the shieldthane bore witness to the spirit opening naked to his king, carving on a nearby rock the words AND HROL DID LOVE UNTO A HILLOCK before dying in the sight of their union.

When the fifteen other knights found King Hrol, they saw him dead after his labors against a mound of mud. And they parted each in their way, and some went mad, and the two that returned to their homeland beyond Twil would say nothing of Hrol, and acted ashamed for him.

But after nine months that mound of mud became as a small mountain, and there were whispers among the shepherds and bulls. A small community of believers gathered around that growing hill during the days of its first churning, and they were the first to name it the Golden Hill, Sancre Tor. And it was the shepherdess Sed-Yenna who dared climb the hill when she heard his first cry, and at its peak she saw what it had yielded, an infant she named Reman, which is "Light of Man."

-- from the Remanada, a fragmented, mythical recounting of the conception of Reman and the return of the Chim-el Adabal with the people of Tamriel

At age 44 Queen Theth-i I was a powerful ruler of a moderately sized kingdom. Rihad was large for Hammerfell, but nowhere near the size of Nibenay, Alinor or the Colovian Estates. Rihad prospered under Queen Theth-i, but seemed unlikely to do much more. But the queen, already well into her middle ages, was sure that her destiny was to usher in a new era and a new empire and so she set her sights south.

In 564 2E western Colovia was divided between the prosperous Gold Coast realm of Anvil and the Kingdom of Kvatch in the West Weald and lower Colovian Highlands. Already at war with Gilane, which enjoyed friendly relations with Rihad, Anvil was vulnerable.

Claiming to be entering the conflict in support of Gilane, Theth-i led her forces to major victories at Kulpawn and Hare's Cross.

The namesake city of the realm fell and after only 3 years of conflict was handed over to Sason Azethal, Theth-i's second son.

In the aftermath of the war Theth-i arranged a marriage with a son of the Americk dynasty, cementing an alliance with the Kingdom of Gilane. This would later prove very advantageous to Gilane, which Theth-i would grant control of the Crown lands in Hammerfell.

If the accounts of the historian Faroald of Cheydinhal are true (he is generally considered more reputable than the other famed historian of this period, Bovia Mellas, who denies the event), it was at a lavish funeral for Theth-i's beloved cat Secunda that the queen of Gilane pledged her support for an invasion of Kvatch. Whatever the truth, in 567 2E Gilane and Rihad jointly declared war for the heartland of Kvatch.

The county of Brena fell to Theth-i before the main Kvatch army arrived. Although evenly matched in terms of commander talent and numbers, Theth-i faced the Kvatchian force across the Brena River. The disciplined Colovian heavy legionaries moved slowly across a silty, narrow crossing as Redguards pelted them with arrows, spears and spells.

By the time the two front lines met the legionaries were exhausted and whittled down. A retreat became a route and Redguard mages summoned a small flood as the Colovians attempted to cross the Brena. Thousands died, dragged down into shallow waters they might well have swum across without their heavy armor. Of the over 6,000 who marched to Brena, not even 300 escaped alive. It was a military disaster for Kvatch, whose army could have beaten Theth-i in better chosen terrain.

The commander of the battle had little time to curse her choice of battlefield, though. Etira of Shetcombe survived the slaughter only to be captured by Theth-i's forces. Historians and strategists continue to study the Battle of Brena as a textbook example of using terrain to tip the scales in a battle.

Now unopposed, the queen crossed the Brena and began to siege holdings in western Kvatch.

Kvatch attempted to persuade the Colovian Estates to come to its aid, but without a Kvatch army of any real size left the neighboring Colovian kingdom was reluctant to take on the full burden of the war. By 569 2E the city of Kvatch, sitting upon its high plateau, fell to Redguard forces.

Without an army or even her capital city under her control Queen Camilla Kvinchal saw no choice but to offer terms of surrender.

The duchy of Kvatch was granted to Rona, Theth-i's daughter and now heir with the passing of her sons Sason and Juncan from heart attacks. Though not as skilled as Juncan, Rona was a commander of great skill, who served as marshal for her mother throughout the Cyrodilic Campaigns.

More controversially, the High Elf Mirie Angroruan was given the duchy of Sutch on the east bank of the Brena River. Mirie had served as court physician and later court magister for much of Theth-i's rule. She was also a loyal and devoted friend to the queen and supported her throughout the latter half of her rule.

To the lords of Nibenay, Colovia and the independent realms of Cyrodiil a message was delivered by couriers of QUeen Theth-i: the Scion of Reman Cyrodil is come, bow or be bowed. In the Colovian Estates ancient forts, long abandoned since the War of Righteousness, were hastily repaired and calls went out for legion recruits, it was to be the defining conflict of Theth-i's rule.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The jpgs on the previous page aren't loading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

The jpgs on the previous page aren't loading.

I cannot seem to find any problem on the previous page, is there a specific post you notice this on?

• Locked thread