Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DonnieBravo
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, I've always appreciated your travel advice in the past, so lets go again.

My partner and I are planning a 6 week trip to Europe, starting in Lisbon in early August, and flying out of Sicily in mid September. We're both chefs, so we wanna do it right.

We were thinking a combination of using the Bus/Train to get from city to city for quick movement. We'd like to rent a car and take our time in the south of France, before driving over to Italy, hitting Marseille and Montpellier on the way. Should we plan to drop the car off before crossing the border? We're not sure where in Italy, but have heard the Cinque Terre is sick. Not too fussed about Venice or typical touristy spots.

We've travelled before and have always gone day by day booking the next city as we go, but this time we were thinking of pre-booking the Portugal/Spain portion and just going along for the ride. Basically I'm asking for any great cities we should spend some time in, and what would be the best way to move between them. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

DonnieBravo posted:

Hey goons, I've always appreciated your travel advice in the past, so lets go again.

My partner and I are planning a 6 week trip to Europe, starting in Lisbon in early August, and flying out of Sicily in mid September. We're both chefs, so we wanna do it right.

We were thinking a combination of using the Bus/Train to get from city to city for quick movement. We'd like to rent a car and take our time in the south of France, before driving over to Italy, hitting Marseille and Montpellier on the way. Should we plan to drop the car off before crossing the border? We're not sure where in Italy, but have heard the Cinque Terre is sick. Not too fussed about Venice or typical touristy spots.

We've travelled before and have always gone day by day booking the next city as we go, but this time we were thinking of pre-booking the Portugal/Spain portion and just going along for the ride. Basically I'm asking for any great cities we should spend some time in, and what would be the best way to move between them. Thanks in advance.

One-way rentals are usually ridiculously expensive, even more so if your one-way ends outside of the country where you rented the car, to the tune of €500. Sometimes you can get it for less, but you'll have to look around. Trains work pretty well around the south of France especially between big cities like Montpellier and Marseille. I'd stick with trains unless you really want to hike in the Pyrenees. Make sure to check out Carcassonne. Also absolutely make sure to check out the calanques and Cassis. The only part around there you NEED a car that I can think of is the Luberon national park, e.g. Menerbes, Apt, Lacoste, etc. It's great, check it out if you rent a car. Aigues Mortes is also really weird and interesting but does not need a car to get to. I found the Camargue to be underwhelming, hot, and miserable in August, but YMMV. If you really like flamingos I guess it might be up your alley.

Driving in France (and Italy) can often blow on the weekends in August as everyone gets dogpiled into the tolls. Weekdays aren't quite as bad, but I'd be worried about Friday afternoons too. If you do drive on the weekends, make sure you have a data plan and check in advance your route on Google Maps, which can steer you away from ten kilometer long bouchons: http://archives.nicematin.com/media...5f2e090f187.jpg

Cinque Terre is almost certainly the most touristy spot in all of Italy on a per capita basis, blowing Venice and Florence out of the water. 2.5 million tourists went through cinque terre in 2015, which has a resident population of like 4000 people. I would recommend the Amalfi coast as way, way better in every way than Cinque Terre. It's still touristy, but not as utterly overwhelming, and IMHO the vistas are slightly better and the towns (Positano, Sorrento) are, while touristy, are not as bad as Cinque Terre.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 22, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
For food you definitely want to hit up Lisbon and Porto, and I'll also recommend the Douro wine region to the east of Porto. It's where port wine is grown and made, so there's a bunch of wineries you can visit and do tastings. San Sebastian will be on your way, and there's a goon who will always recommend Logrono as well though I haven't been. Barcelona always has great food. I haven't been to southern France or northern Italy so can't make any recommendations there, sorry!

With cars, maybe think about planning a loop within each country for driving, then doing train trips for longer hops between countries? Note as well that with car rentals, 90% of cars will be stick shift (manual). If you want an automatic transmission you'll pay a big premium for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

webmeister posted:

For food you definitely want to hit up Lisbon and Porto, and I'll also recommend the Douro wine region to the east of Porto. It's where port wine is grown and made, so there's a bunch of wineries you can visit and do tastings. San Sebastian will be on your way, and there's a goon who will always recommend Logrono as well though I haven't been.

It's me, I'm that goon! Go to Logrono! :v:

If you're in Northern Portugal already I'd also suggest crossing into Galicia and hanging out there for a few days if you have the time to spare. I've only been to A Coruna, and it was beautiful, but I'm sure the whole province is nice. Great seafood, and amazing (and completely undervalued) wines. It's a bit poo poo in terms of travel connections, though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

It's me, I'm that goon! Go to Logrono! :v:

You talk about Logrono so much that, some day when I end up going there, I know I'm going to be disappointed with it if Jesus doesn't come down on high and serve me a tinto de verano with a plate of manna.

• Locked thread