Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

LinYutang posted:

The parks are too popular and busy its annoying

Go home tourists

As a Canadian, I can tell you that this is because Americans do parks well. They put in a bunch of easy access gravel or paved paths right up to the visually grand bits, and hem every​ pidgen toed chud to a few square acres where the costs of search and rescue will be greatly minimized

Then the rest of the park is for cool folks who have the patience to decipher the arcane rules of the park pass lottery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

brugroffil posted:

went to the Midewin National Tallgrass Prarie yesterday

Excellent giant grass puppers, would pet and be gored/trampled, 11/10

This weekend I am going to Big Basin CA State Park (close enough) to do the Skyline to the Sea, 31 miles in coastal forests :yum:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Did they finally get that all cleaned up and reopened? This winter was a washout/widowmaker nightmare

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Chard posted:

Excellent giant grass puppers, would pet and be gored/trampled, 11/10
this was basically my reaction when i went hiking with my friend and dog in the Wichita Wildlife Reserve in Oklahoma last fall. we crested the top of a small ridge and rolled up on a wild longhorn bull no more than 10 yards away.

it was an amazing animal but even my dog (a ~50 lb australian shepherd mutt) seemed to inherently get that this was very much not a situation we wanted to be in and he stuck by me as we veerrrryyyy sloowwwllyyy backed away and left that big mf the hell alone. great hike though.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
About six days ago a brown bear took a poo poo off the edge of a cliff on the coast of Lake Clark National Park and it almost landed on me.

Welp that's my national park story of the day, please continue enjoying your public lands.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Coolguye posted:

this was basically my reaction when i went hiking with my friend and dog in the Wichita Wildlife Reserve in Oklahoma last fall. we crested the top of a small ridge and rolled up on a wild longhorn bull no more than 10 yards away.

it was an amazing animal but even my dog (a ~50 lb australian shepherd mutt) seemed to inherently get that this was very much not a situation we wanted to be in and he stuck by me as we veerrrryyyy sloowwwllyyy backed away and left that big mf the hell alone. great hike though.

The ones we saw were behind 8' fencing, because apparently 1500 lb buffalo can leap over 6' fences :stare:

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Here I'll just dump my flickr folder into the thread :v:

Rocky Mountains National Park

Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Arches

My big regret about Arches was that we went in the hottest part of the summer, and it was 100+ degrees every day. Too hot to hike to Delicate Arch, so we missed that one. Got most of the others though.

Bodyholes has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Jun 14, 2017

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Went on a 2 week national park trip in May...Zion, arches, Grand canyon, Bryce. Before that my friends and I camped cross country after college and hit a lot.

I like starting low and getting high so Zion was extremely my poo poo. Way too busy to go to Angels Landing. Yosemite edges it out a bit due to being bigger and having a much more active community.

Both out west NP trips I've been on ended with Grand Canyon so I'm always beat to poo poo and too tired to hike in. It's a pretty view but doesn't quite hit me like Yosemite, Zion, and Redwood did.

Also for any folks thinking of visiting these places in a big trip, heed advice and plan wisely with on weather. I hit Glacier too soon and they still had ~15 ft of snow, Mt Rushmore was buried in clouds, etc.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
is there a thread around for hiking advice? like what to pack, how much water to bring, etc?

i did an overnight last september by Leavenworth, crossed on the pacific crest trail for some of it, and it was gorgeous but also got below freezing overnight, even in a thick sleeping bag in my tent and wearing clothes and gloves and thick socks I was still shivering until I got out my emergency blanket too. and I had two water bottles plus a gallon in hand and I barely used the gallon despite hiking 15 miles up and down hills that second day. I wouldve stayed another night to have more time to enjoy the scenery but I didnt want to suffer the cold again so rushed back to my car.
i also saw a fresh bear print in the mud in one spot, but had no bear mace so I kept a brisk pace to gtfo of that area asap.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

got any sevens posted:

is there a thread around for hiking advice? like what to pack, how much water to bring, etc?

i did an overnight last september by Leavenworth, crossed on the pacific crest trail for some of it, and it was gorgeous but also got below freezing overnight, even in a thick sleeping bag in my tent and wearing clothes and gloves and thick socks I was still shivering until I got out my emergency blanket too. and I had two water bottles plus a gallon in hand and I barely used the gallon despite hiking 15 miles up and down hills that second day. I wouldve stayed another night to have more time to enjoy the scenery but I didnt want to suffer the cold again so rushed back to my car.
i also saw a fresh bear print in the mud in one spot, but had no bear mace so I kept a brisk pace to gtfo of that area asap.

Hiking & Backpacking thread right here

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

One trick is to boil water and fill your nalgene with it, bring it into the sleeping bag with you. Adds a little active heating to the system. If you are boiling water to purify it you can do this without expending any extra fuel if you time it right. You can also try a sleeping bag liner. I don't really like them because they make me feel a little claustrophobic, but they add around 10F as a general rule.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Crazyweasel posted:

Went on a 2 week national park trip in May...Zion, arches, Grand canyon, Bryce. Before that my friends and I camped cross country after college and hit a lot.

I like starting low and getting high so Zion was extremely my poo poo. Way too busy to go to Angels Landing. Yosemite edges it out a bit due to being bigger and having a much more active community.

Both out west NP trips I've been on ended with Grand Canyon so I'm always beat to poo poo and too tired to hike in. It's a pretty view but doesn't quite hit me like Yosemite, Zion, and Redwood did.

Also for any folks thinking of visiting these places in a big trip, heed advice and plan wisely with on weather. I hit Glacier too soon and they still had ~15 ft of snow, Mt Rushmore was buried in clouds, etc.

We got to the narrow part/the base of where the real scramble on Angel's Landing starts and decided against it because it was so drat busy and neither of us are super comfortable with exposed heights. We did Observation Point the next morning instead, 5/5 would recommend, start early so you get really cool shadows in the slot canyons and so it's not 100 degrees full exposure hiking straight up canyon walls.

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Jun 12, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

entire hiking suforum here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=272

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I had no idea this existed, I just knew I had the one thread bookmarked, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

i did a big road trip last summer and hit 13 national parks / some random state parks, they were all great but my favorites were probably zion and glacier.

if you aren't too wigged out by heights, i highly recommend checking out the angels landing in zion:

you get to hike that whole ridge, you spend like 75% of the time holding onto big chains hammered into the rockface and there are some pretty hairy spots where giant clots of people build up because the path is so narrow. saw a california condor up there - i guess there are less than 30 of them in the state and that's one of the best places to get a chance at seeing one.

the narrows were also very cool, and also apparently dangerous, since three people twisted their ankles while i was there and had to get stretchered out. they were all old people though, so

gonna hit up some more this summer, i really want to get out to do some snorkeling at dry tortugas some day before it is all swallowed up by the ocean

• Locked thread