Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
We've just passed RAW number 1,252-which means that we are within 5 years of RAW 1500. Which leads to a very important question: What will the product look like 5 years 1,735 days from now on February 21st, 2022?

Our champions (stolen without permission from the Jinder Discussion Thread)

Some points for discussion and predictions:
  • Who will hold the NXT, Smackdown, and RAW main titles as of 2/21/2022?
  • Who will have recently won the 2022 Royal Rumble?
  • Will the brand split still be in effect?
  • Will NXT still be a touring-level brand?
  • Will the WWE Network still exist?
  • Will Smackdown and RAW still be available via traditional cable deals?
  • Which current tag teams will still be active and primarily competing as tag wrestlers?
  • Who will be the Authority Figures on each show?
  • Will Sami Zayn have held the WWE Championship or the WWE Universal Championship?
  • Will Roman Reigns have been turned heel?
  • Does CM Punk appear on WWE TV in the interim?
  • Will the WWE face a competitor capable of topping TNA's highwater mark of a 1.45 rating?

For reference:
Men under the age of 30 who have held any main roster title: Bray Wyatt, Rich Swann, Jason Jordan

kill me if I'm here on 2/22/22 to check for accuracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
  • Who will hold the NXT, Smackdown, and RAW main titles as of 2/21/2022?: NXT: Patrick Clark. Main Roster: Kevin Owens, Big E
  • Who will have recently won the 2022 Royal Rumble?: Sami Zayn
  • Will the brand split still be in effect? : Yes
  • Will NXT still be a touring-level brand?: Yes
  • Will the WWE Network still exist?: Yes
  • Will Smackdown and RAW still be available via traditional cable deals?: Yes-but not on USA.
  • Which current tag teams will still be active and primarily competing as tag wrestlers?: Enzo & Cass, The Club, Authors of Pain, DIY, Usos
  • Who will be the Authority Figures on each show? Stephanie, Daniel Bryan (permanently retired after another concussion when he returns to active competition with NJPW)
  • Will Sami Zayn have held the WWE Championship or the WWE Universal Championship? Yes
  • Will Roman Reigns have been turned heel? Yes
  • Does CM Punk appear on WWE TV in the interim? No
  • Will the WWE face a competitor capable of topping TNA's highwater mark of a 1.45 rating? NO

:same:

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Then.

Now. Especially now.

Forever.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

people will still be unhappy with the tv show but now several beloved older folks from wwe wrestling will have died by then as well. one example could be jim ross, but might not be

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It's gonna be super great

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'll play your game.

Who will hold the NXT, Smackdown, and RAW main titles as of 2/21/2022?
-NXT Kazuchika Okada, Main Triple H
Who will have recently won the 2022 Royal Rumble?
-Charlotte
Will the brand split still be in effect?
-No
Will NXT still be a touring-level brand?
-Yes, but it'll still be viewed/presented as a minor league/developmental offering.
Will the WWE Network still exist?
-Yes kinda, see next question.
Will Smackdown and RAW still be available via traditional cable deals?
-Yes via ESPN when they buy the media rights after they expire in 2019. WWE Network becomes a big cornerstone for ESPN's stand-alone streaming option, though ESPN will still have a presence on cable/sat TV. The latter won't be dead in 2022 yet, though the signs are there.
Which current tag teams will still be active and primarily competing as tag wrestlers?
-None of them.
Who will be the Authority Figures on each show?
-Steph/Triple H
Will Sami Zayn have held the WWE Championship or the WWE Universal Championship?
-No
Will Roman Reigns have been turned heel?
-Not really, he continuously exists in tweener zone similar to Super Cena, though with some more overly heel tendencies. The trigger is never fully pulled into straight heeldom, though.
Does CM Punk appear on WWE TV in the interim?
-No, though talk about putting him into the HOF has people wondering if the bridge might be rebuilt one day. This is dependent on Vince still being alive/active, as he'll have to be the catalyst for a reunion, not Triple H.
Will the WWE face a competitor capable of topping TNA's highwater mark of a 1.45 rating?
-No, in fact WWE would love to pull that on TV themselves. With the show being available live on the ESPN app the audience is split, with most viewing on the app vs. tv.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Raw 1500 will end up being telecasted from a smokey Bingo hall thus proving Vince's made up history of wrestling correct in the end

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

In the wake of Vince McMahon's death the WWE will collapse under lawsuits; Stephanie and Triple H will reincorporate all assets under the NXT brand. Its champion will be Sheamus.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Looking at WM 5 years ago and trying to predict WM 5 years from now seems impossible

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

RealFoxy posted:

Looking at WM 5 years ago and trying to predict WM 5 years from now seems impossible

But drat, the predictions would have been fantastic.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Paracaidas posted:

But drat, the predictions would have been fantastic.
We're going to see like, John Cena vs Randy Orton in Cena's retirement match and Tanahashi vs Jericho without ever have seen Cena/Tanahashi just like we never saw Cena/Undertaker at Wrestlemania

Just five years ago like half that card is retired, semi-retired, or have left the WWE and that wasn't even too long ago.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
With regards to CM Punk returning in the next five years. In an era where we have had Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior and Kurt Angle return within seven years anything is possible in my books. Will it happen in the next five years? Maybe, but one day it'll happen.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean never say never and money can change all minds, but I think Punk is probably the least likely of guys to go back as he's frugal with his money and also the main beef was with HHH. I'm not sure HHH would be willing to make peace with Punk even if it could draw money

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

With regards to CM Punk returning in the next five years. In an era where we have had Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior and Kurt Angle return within seven years anything is possible in my books. Will it happen in the next five years? Maybe, but one day it'll happen.
The difference between Punk and Angle/Warrior/Hart is that they all lived and breathed wrestling while CM Punk is contempt with being rich and burning bridges to do whatever the gently caress he wants.

The biggest hangup when he first left IIRC was that part timers would come in and take away WM main events like Rock or Brock Lesner, maybe it's possible that he's playing the long con here to increase his net worth for a WM payday. If he were he's the best keeper of Kayfabe in history because he's even cut ties with Colt Cabana who gave him that huge platform to vent about the WWE when he left and I don't think he talks to any other wrestlers except Batista on occasion who isn't an active wrestler anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's kinda funny how nothing ever really seems to change in WWE but if you jump back in 5 year jumps you're reminded me of just how much is different now. I mean hell, looking back at Raw 1000 which was 5 years back, there have been so many rosters changes and storylines that have completely disappeared from memory.

That said, I kinda hope that John Cena isn't around in anything more than an occasional special guest appearance ala the Rock. Every so often I think about that guy who (years ago!) once called John Cena the WWE's version of Boxer from Animal Farm :ohdear:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

RealFoxy posted:

Just for fun, let's run down this card today

Retired

Rosa Mendes
Tyson Kidd
Daniel Bryan (still on TV as GM)
AJ Lee
Beth Phoenix
Eve Torres
Kelly Kelly
Maria Menonous (random one-off gig)
The Undertaker
Santino Marella
John Laurinaitis
Vickie Guerrero
Brie Bella
Teddy Long
Aksana
David Otunga (still on TV as announcer)
The Great Khali
Booker T (still on TV as announcer)
CM Punk
The Rock (maybe, assuming his Hollywood bosses don't want him wrestling again)

Semi-retired and/or on the way out

Kane
Big Show
Mark Henry

Part-time wrestlers

Triple H
Chris Jericho
John Cena
Nikki Bella

Gone from WWE but still wrestling

Justin Gabriel
Cody Rhodes
Jack Swagger
Hornswoggle

Still active, full-time WWE wrestlers

Primo & Epico
The Usos
Sheamus
Randy Orton
Dolph Ziggler
The Miz
Drew McIntyre (only recently came back after an indie run)
Kofi Kingston
R-Truth
Zack Ryder

That's a pretty crazy amount of turnover in just five years.

Benne fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 24, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

NXT: Some Guy Who Isn't Even Wrestling Yet Raw: Roman Reigns SD: Aj Styles
One of them Chinese guys they're developing to get that sweet sweet Yuan
Yes.
No.
Yes. Lots of other companies/leagues will try a streaming thing and fail and the whole idea of 1 company running its own stream will seem dumb but the Netwwerk will persist.
Traditional cable will be dead by 2022 so no.
Which current tag teams will still be active and primarily competing as tag wrestlers?
None because WWE doesn't like long-running tag teams.
Aurora Levesque and Kurt Angle
Will Sami Zayn have held the WWE Championship or the WWE Universal Championship?
hahaha no
No. Heel and Face dynamics are for jobbers in 2022
No.
Will the WWE face a competitor capable of topping TNA's highwater mark of a 1.45 rating?
Hell no.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

I was curious and broke this down. 43 people performed at Wrestlemania 5 years ago in some fashion. Out of those 43, 23 are on active contract currently (53%), even if their roles have changed. 19 of those performed at this year's show (44%), with 16 wrestling (37%). So nearly 2/3rds of the people who were on that show 5 years ago weren't part of this year's. If I wanted to eliminated the part-timers, we're at 12 (28%). 28% seems like a good baseline to work off of.

I decided to compare it to the champs in the 4 major US sports from 5 years ago. For the NFL it's if they played in 2016, NBA/NHL/MLB is if they've played in 2017:

Baltimore Ravens - 60 on roster, 31 still in league (52%), 11 still on roster (18%). Nearly half of the Super Bowl team from 5 years ago is out of the NFL, with the Ravens having turned over more than 4/5ths of that roster.

Boston Red Sox - 48 on roster, 21 still in league (44%), 6 still on roster (13%). Half of the World Series champs are out of baseball or haven't appeared in a game this season, with only a handful still in Boston.

Miami Heat - 18 on roster, 9 still in league (50%), 2 still on roster (11%). This was a unique situation because Miami was the LeBron/Bosh/Wade Superteam and now only one of them are on the team (Bosh still counts because he was under contract even though for all intents and purposes his career is over). Still, that's a significant amount of overhaul.

Chicago Blackhawks - 32 on roster, 21 still in league (66%), 10 still on roster (31%). Considering how physical a game stickpuck is and how often guys play hurt, I'm amazed that 2/3rds of the Stanley Cup champ roster still played last season.

Compared to the major sports leagues WWE comes off as having more turnover, which makes sense given the travel and wear and tear and lack of an offseason. Realistically, it makes sense that 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the roster from this year's Wrestlemania won't make it to the one in 2022.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Also

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I refuse to take part in this due to the fact that you stole the champions image

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

-NXT: Jay White; Smackdown: Tye Dillinger; Raw: Drew McIntyre
-John Cena
-Yes
-Hope not
-Yes
-Somehow, yes
-Breezango, Heavy Machinery, The Authors of Pain, The Revival
-Booker T and Matt Hardy
-yes, but briefly
-lmao no
-nope
-NJPW USA

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Paracaidas posted:

[*]Which current tag teams will still be active and primarily competing as tag wrestlers?: DIY

ayyyy

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Triple H will hold the world title in 2022.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Roman Reigns will be the #1 ace because WWE is, if nothing else, stubborn to a fault.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

I was curious and broke this down. 43 people performed at Wrestlemania 5 years ago in some fashion. Out of those 43, 23 are on active contract currently (53%), even if their roles have changed. 19 of those performed at this year's show (44%), with 16 wrestling (37%). So nearly 2/3rds of the people who were on that show 5 years ago weren't part of this year's. If I wanted to eliminated the part-timers, we're at 12 (28%). 28% seems like a good baseline to work off of.

I decided to compare it to the champs in the 4 major US sports from 5 years ago. For the NFL it's if they played in 2016, NBA/NHL/MLB is if they've played in 2017:

Baltimore Ravens - 60 on roster, 31 still in league (52%), 11 still on roster (18%). Nearly half of the Super Bowl team from 5 years ago is out of the NFL, with the Ravens having turned over more than 4/5ths of that roster.

Boston Red Sox - 48 on roster, 21 still in league (44%), 6 still on roster (13%). Half of the World Series champs are out of baseball or haven't appeared in a game this season, with only a handful still in Boston.

Miami Heat - 18 on roster, 9 still in league (50%), 2 still on roster (11%). This was a unique situation because Miami was the LeBron/Bosh/Wade Superteam and now only one of them are on the team (Bosh still counts because he was under contract even though for all intents and purposes his career is over). Still, that's a significant amount of overhaul.

Chicago Blackhawks - 32 on roster, 21 still in league (66%), 10 still on roster (31%). Considering how physical a game stickpuck is and how often guys play hurt, I'm amazed that 2/3rds of the Stanley Cup champ roster still played last season.

Compared to the major sports leagues WWE comes off as having more turnover, which makes sense given the travel and wear and tear and lack of an offseason. Realistically, it makes sense that 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the roster from this year's Wrestlemania won't make it to the one in 2022.

:spergin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

I guess something else to take into consideration is the average age of the roster as well. There are a lot of older guys who guys who have already been doing this for a decade plus, some of them working heavy independent schedules and doing a lot of crazy stuff. As sad as it is to say, it's probably unlikely that AJ Styles or Shinsuke Nakamura are gonna be around in 5 years, or at least not in anything other than the occasional guest role. Jericho is great and has worked a part time schedule for a long time, but he's getting close to 50 years old. Finn Balor might still be around and I hope he is, and I can see Doc Gallows still being there but I don't know about Karl Anderson.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

it's fine! it's a good post. thank you C. Everett Koop for this good and interesting post.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
For reference:
Men under the age of 30 who have held any main roster title: Bray Wyatt, Rich Swann, Jason Jordan

Seth Rollins was 29 when he cashed in on Brock/Roman at mania.

Or do you mean just guys who are still under 30?

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
    NXT: Kimber Lee or some weird poo poo, or someone who doesn't exist in wrestling yet, Smackdown: Jason Jordan, Raw: The Rock (won it at RR and will lose it to roman)
    Roman Reigns for the fourth time
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes and ROH/NJPW will be on it, and they'll be PG
    Yes, on the newly re-launched UPN
  • Which current tag teams will still be active and primarily competing as tag wrestlers?
    Primo and Epico, that's it
    Stephanie McMahon for Raw and Triple H for Smackdown, feuding. Mick Foley will be the authority of NXT
  • Will Sami Zayn have held the WWE Championship or the WWE Universal Championship?
    yeah for like 1 ppv but he'll also be out of the company
    once for a year in 2020
    yeah he's last eliminated at the royal rumble and then disappears again lol
  • Will the WWE face a competitor capable of topping TNA's highwater mark of a 1.45 rating?
    WWE will be at a 1.45

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

RAW: Bobby Roode / Charolette Flair
    Smackdown: Roman Reigns / Io Shirai
    NXT: Kusida / Riho

Roman Reigns

Yes, but people will jump around a lot as if it didn't matter

They'll settle down in Western California to attempt to kill PWG

Yes, but I assume it will be co-branded with a major network like an ESPN/WWE or a major telecom company (Comcast, ATT) buys them out

FOREVER

Authors of Pain

Triple H / Stephanie

No

Not exactly, as they try and promote him as a badass tweener like Stone Cold or Triple H thought he was

Yes, either as a Hall of Fame entrant or some sort of one-off

Nah

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

I guess something else to take into consideration is the average age of the roster as well. There are a lot of older guys who guys who have already been doing this for a decade plus, some of them working heavy independent schedules and doing a lot of crazy stuff. As sad as it is to say, it's probably unlikely that AJ Styles or Shinsuke Nakamura are gonna be around in 5 years, or at least not in anything other than the occasional guest role. Jericho is great and has worked a part time schedule for a long time, but he's getting close to 50 years old. Finn Balor might still be around and I hope he is, and I can see Doc Gallows still being there but I don't know about Karl Anderson.

With Balor's injury history it's pretty tough to imagine him still around in 5 years. Granted, he'll only be 40 or 41 but I still don't know if he will make it that long if he keeps getting hurt.

Styles on the other hand I could see staying around. He'll be what, 44? He's one of those guys I could see doing this poo poo at 50.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 25, 2017

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Fenrir posted:

For reference:

Seth Rollins was 29 when he cashed in on Brock/Roman at mania.

Or do you mean just guys who are still under 30?

Currently under 30. Which is loving dire.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Paracaidas posted:

Currently under 30. Which is loving dire.

And you can pretty much strike Bray off that list, because WWE consistently fucks up every push they give him despite the fact that he's over as gently caress and has been for years. If he'd have won even ONE of his feuds in the last two years he could still be a credible threat but I think that ship has sailed. Sad too, considering he's solid in the ring if not stellar, and one of the best talkers in the company.

At least he finally got a title run, short-lived and sabotaged as it was. :sigh:

e: He also just turned 30, Tuesday when you made this thread.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 25, 2017

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Paracaidas posted:

For reference:

You posted this on Bray's 30th birthday hahahahaha

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The champion of developmental is a decade older than the WWE Champion and thus #1 pushed full-time main roster member.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The champion of developmental is a decade older than the WWE Champion and thus #1 pushed full-time main roster member.

Good GOD, Jinder is only 30?? I didn't realize that. Holy poo poo. He looks so much older. Probably the roids. I really thought he was like kicking 40.

e: I just rewatched his match with Orton at backlash... I'm 39 and he looks older than me.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 25, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fenrir posted:

Styles on the other hand I could see staying around. He'll be what, 44? He's one of those guys I could see doing this poo poo at 50.

Signing with WWE may have changed his mind, but I do know that when he was interviewed by Dave and Bryan a little over a year ago they mentioned he could still be wrestling in his 40s and his reaction was,"Oh hell no, no way I am doing this in my 40s!"

He may have been thinking in terms of still being on the independent circuit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So you gonna keep this prediction game around for futurism?

NXT: Some Dude that doesn't Exist Smackdown: Roman Reigns RAW: Baron Corbin

Aleister Black will have somehow finished a Royal Rumble, in first, in a lotus position.

Yeah

Yeah

Definitely

Yes, but only because "Maybe!" is a copout.

The Revival, American Alpha, Enzo and Cass, Two thirds of the New Day

One show will have Stephanie McMahon and HHH, the other will have Daniel Bryan and KANE

Yes

Twice

No, But Xavier Woods will get him to play video games on his channel once, and be suspended.

No, Cable is dead.

• Locked thread