Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

interwhat posted:

Hacking a guy up with the battle axe in gtav made me wonder for a split second why enjoyed it so much

pretty sure that never happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
You callin me a liar, homie?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

interwhat posted:

You callin me a liar, homie?

yup. what are you gonna do about it?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Bulletstorm is a good and funny game

its pretty good. bought the remaster and it still holds up. i loving hate gearbox for publishing it though. they are loving poo poo eaters to the core and they know people hate them so they basicaly said they only way we could get a sequel from people can fly is if we bought the remaster or some poo poo. then they pasted duke nukem skin on and called it a day.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its pretty good. bought the remaster and it still holds up. i loving hate gearbox for publishing it though. they are loving poo poo eaters to the core and they know people hate them so they basicaly said they only way we could get a sequel from people can fly is if we bought the remaster or some poo poo. then they pasted duke nukem skin on and called it a day.

My nostalgia for old half-life expansions buts up against lovely reality every time I see the name Gearbox. Everything turns to poo poo eventually I guess. (not far cry, gonna kill whitie)[Im also whitie]{still gonna kill whitie}

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The protagonist is going to be an Idahoan from a rival militia/cult.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

turn off the TV posted:

I enjoy playing shoot man video games because they're mechanically engaging, not because they're insanely gory and let me chop up people's bodies into tiny chunks. The FPS I have the most play time in doesn't even have blood spray.

I enjoyed the hippy mode of Serious Sam. You get enormous sprays of flowers instead of blood.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

turn off the TV posted:

I enjoy playing shoot man video games because they're mechanically engaging, not because they're insanely gory and let me chop up people's bodies into tiny chunks. The FPS I have the most play time in doesn't even have blood spray.

It's just like movies, the rating should fit the tone and purpose of the game, but studios often try to jam things to fit a certain mold and demographic. Why everyone was scared that Fox would only learn "R rated violent movies are gold" from Deadpool and not "An R rated character should get an R rated movie." Also why people were surprised when Logan turned out to be a legitimately good movie and not just a dumb Wolverine flick with STAB STAB STAB.

Ultra violence is great in a movie or game that should be ultra violent (Doom, Rambo, Killing Floor, Dredd, etc.) but a game with a lighter tone doesn't need the same level of violence. Honestly this is a bigger problem with film than games though, with violent/dark material getting neutered into PG13 and other stuff being pushed into an R with terrible CGI blood and an inserted gently caress or two.

One of the more interesting examples are actually two of the most notoriously violent games, Grand Theft Auto and Saint's Row. Both are notoriously bloody, violent and R rated yet there's no gibs and the blood wouldn't even be PG, because there is a sense of hyper-realism about it all, a hint of a tongue being held in the cheek when you run over a beach full of people from stopping it getting too dark. Which was a wise use of restraint.

ED: Oh yeah, one more interesting example. The original (they changed it) Left 4 Dead 2 in Australia vs the PC one. It simply is not remotely as satisfying when you can't blow the zombies into showers of limbs. It doesn't fit the tone to censor it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 2, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's just like movies, the rating should fit the tone and purpose of the game, but studios often try to jam things to fit a certain mold and demographic. Why everyone was scared that Fox would only learn "R rated violent movies are gold" from Deadpool and not "An R rated character should get an R rated movie." Also why people were surprised when Logan turned out to be a legitimately good movie and not just a dumb Wolverine flick with STAB STAB STAB.

Ultra violence is great in a movie or game that should be ultra violent (Doom, Rambo, Killing Floor, Dredd, etc.) but a game with a lighter tone doesn't need the same level of violence. Honestly this is a bigger problem with film than games though, with violent/dark material getting neutered into PG13 and other stuff being pushed into an R with terrible CGI blood and an inserted gently caress or two.

One of the more interesting examples are actually two of the most notoriously violent games, Grand Theft Auto and Saint's Row. Both are notoriously bloody, violent and R rated yet there's no gibs and the blood wouldn't even be PG, because there is a sense of hyper-realism about it all, a hint of a tongue being held in the cheek when you run over a beach full of people from stopping it getting too dark. Which was a wise use of restraint.

ED: Oh yeah, one more interesting example. The original (they changed it) Left 4 Dead 2 in Australia vs the PC one. It simply is not remotely as satisfying when you can't blow the zombies into showers of limbs. It doesn't fit the tone to censor it.

you loving sicko

what of the children

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Since the announcement and setting of this looked interesting I've tried the most recent games in the series to see if I like the gameplay.

Is it wrong if I'm liking Far Cry Primal more than Far Cry 4? Something about being more limited regarding weapons and actually caring about the animals as I explore make it more exciting than Far Cry 4 overpowered weapons

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

frajaq posted:

Since the announcement and setting of this looked interesting I've tried the most recent games in the series to see if I like the gameplay.

Is it wrong if I'm liking Far Cry Primal more than Far Cry 4? Something about being more limited regarding weapons and actually caring about the animals as I explore make it more exciting than Far Cry 4 overpowered weapons

I think any divergence from their usual formula was going to sell well, 3 and 4 were carbon copies of the same game to me and with all the games that have been copying far cry, they definitely needed to try something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

a bone to pick posted:

I think any divergence from their usual formula was going to sell well, 3 and 4 were carbon copies of the same game to me and with all the games that have been copying far cry, they definitely needed to try something new.

Going back to 3 after 4 is rough. You dont get stuff Id consider basic like the wingsuit til way WAY late in the game.

4 Gives you all the toys up front and is very good for that. Its a continuation of 3 rather then a copy. with a minicopter.

• Locked thread