Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
I rent a place in the inner city next to an abandoned house. From the street, there is a fence between both the buildings - which squatters have determined makes for an ideal location to sit behind and sleep or smoke their illegal substances. Ideally, I would just tear down the fence so there is no privacy, but I don't own it, nor do I know who does.

I imagine some of you are probably thinking "who cares" but this fence and area between houses is probably only 4-6 ft wide, and people are walking right by my kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom windows while my girlfriend or myself may be in various states of undress. If they just broke into the abandoned house and did their thing in there I wouldn't care.

My thought is to place a motion detector on the rear of the fence with some sort of alarm to warn people off. Does anyone have experience with such a thing? A motion light would not be sufficient - they are walking back there at all times of day and night. Unfortunately there is some tree and overgrown grass cover in the rear that makes them hard to see from the alley in the rear, so even though police patrol the area, they cannot see them without physically getting out of their vehicle and walking through there.

Thoughts/Advice? Again, I don't own this property, so it has to be something remote. Alternately if it could be placed on the inside of my window viewing out, it could be plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Tear down the fence in the middle of the night and blame the druggies?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can you call the non-emergency police number and ask them to shoo them away?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
If you want to do other smart home stuff, smart things can work with a fortrrz alarm. The system is about 180, but then you have the hub to do other smart home stuff, like locks, lights, etc

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

1 burn your house down
2 do drugs

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

Can you call the non-emergency police number and ask them to shoo them away?
This, except call 9-1-1 and sound alarmed that someone is breaking into your neighbor's house. Conveniently fail to mention that your neighbors house is abandoned and that these people are there all the time. The fuzz will send 20 cop cars, a K9 and a helicopter. They will 100% catch the folks who are in there. They may or may not get charged, those charges may or may not stick, but I assure you these people will find somewhere else to go.

Also, do whatever you need to at the abandoned house. After I did what was stated above, I waited a few days, and in broad daylight, went in the house (through the wide open front door), and lag screwed every window closed from the inside with these novelty large lag screws (like 1/2" or something). Then I lagged the doors closed (with me inside). Then I climbed through the last remaining open window, the smallest one I could find, lagged it closed from the outside, then ground the heads off the screws.

Had a couple more broken windows over there, but that ended the homeless encampment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have you considered curtains?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

Have you considered curtains?

Your red text suggests this is bad advice

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

photomikey posted:

This, except call 9-1-1 and sound alarmed that someone is breaking into your neighbor's house. Conveniently fail to mention that your neighbors house is abandoned and that these people are there all the time. The fuzz will send 20 cop cars, a K9 and a helicopter. They will 100% catch the folks who are in there. They may or may not get charged, those charges may or may not stick, but I assure you these people will find somewhere else to go.

hmm I'm no expert but making a false 911 call sounds like a pretty bad idea to me

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
A false 911 call?

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
Motion sensor Flood lights. That does the trick where I live.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Typically fences are installed a few feet over the property line, on the fence owner's side. You can usually tell by which direction the posts are facing, if they are facing the abandoned house, the fence is theirs.

BUT there's nothing stopping you from putting your own fence up on your property. A nice 8 foot'er sounds about right.

I'd also recommend getting a big dog. Greyhounds are awesome because they can look mean with the right coloring but are actually very gentle and low-maintenance.

Otherwise I like this idea:

photomikey posted:

Also, do whatever you need to at the abandoned house. After I did what was stated above, I waited a few days, and in broad daylight, went in the house (through the wide open front door), and lag screwed every window closed from the inside with these novelty large lag screws (like 1/2" or something). Then I lagged the doors closed (with me inside). Then I climbed through the last remaining open window, the smallest one I could find, lagged it closed from the outside, then ground the heads off the screws.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Typically fences are installed a few feet over the property line, on the fence owner's side. You can usually tell by which direction the posts are facing, if they are facing the abandoned house, the fence is theirs.

Beta level fence game, if you're paying for the fence you can make your neighbours look at the lovely posts.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

OwlFancier posted:

Beta level fence game, if you're paying for the fence you can make your neighbours look at the lovely posts.

Give them a live feed of GBS?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

I always thought you were required to have the posts face in, or is this just local ordinances I've been subjected to?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

photomikey posted:

A false 911 call?

if you call up and say "people are breaking into my neighbors house" and the cops decide to send, as you put it, " 20 cop cars, a K9 and a helicopter", or even close to that, there is definitely a likelihood that they will be pissed about having sent all those people and resources just take chase off what is actually just a couple of vagrants in an abandoned warehouse, especially if there were other emergency situations happening at that time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I always thought you were required to have the posts face in, or is this just local ordinances I've been subjected to?

Dunno, we just put up a new fence in the UK and the posts are on their side, they don't wanna pay for their fence they can have the lovely side of the new one. Maybe America is different?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Earwicker posted:

if you call up and say "people are breaking into my neighbors house" and the cops decide to send, as you put it, " 20 cop cars, a K9 and a helicopter", or even close to that, there is definitely a likelihood that they will be pissed about having sent all those people and resources just take chase off what is actually just a couple of vagrants in an abandoned warehouse, especially if there were other emergency situations happening at that time.
If they would send 2 guys over when you said " there are vagrants living in this abandoned house", it wouldn't come to this.

In any case, I don't advocate lying. Wait until you see them break in the house, call the cops and tell them someone's breaking in the house.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

photomikey posted:

If they would send 2 guys over when you said " there are vagrants living in this abandoned house", it wouldn't come to this.

In any case, I don't advocate lying. Wait until you see them break in the house, call the cops and tell them someone's breaking in the house.

you actually explicitly advocated lying

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

BUT there's nothing stopping you from putting your own fence up on your property. A nice 8 foot'er sounds about right.

I did mention that I'm a renter. I'm not putting up a fence or anything semi-permanent. I do appreciate everyone's input thus far though

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Your local hallowe'en/party store will undoubtedly sell one of those ghosts you hang up that has a motion detector and starts freaking the gently caress out and making noise when people set it off. Hang this on the side of your house and it will scare all the drug addicts and hobos or whatever away.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
plant some poison ivy, or other irritating plants

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

hmm I'm no expert but making a false 911 call sounds like a pretty bad idea to me

Calling 911 to report a B&E when people are actively B&E'ing is not a false 911 call. It doesn't matter if the house is abandoned or not, the laws are the same. Not mentioning that it is abandoned is in fact a good idea.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

greasyhands posted:

Calling 911 to report a B&E when people are actively B&E'ing is not a false 911 call. It doesn't matter if the house is abandoned or not, the laws are the same. Not mentioning that it is abandoned is in fact a good idea.

you are deliberately deceiving the emergency services in order to provoke an emergency response to something that isn't actually an emergency, "technically none of my statements were false" is a garbage excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's only B&E if the balls touch.

• Locked thread