Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

A human heart posted:

i wonder how these episodic short stories could ever be adapted into a series for television, a format known for its episodic structure. that's a tricky one

:jerkbag:

TV shows have gotten a lot less episodic over the past two decades. As interesting as it might be to see, I very much doubt they're going for a slice of the GoT pie with a "Conan vs evil wizard/giant animal of the week" format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If your going to follow Howard, they have an easy framing device in a discontent King Conan reminiscing on the adventures of his younger self. Contrast young Conan's wild living and bloodlust with old Conan's misery at having realized his ambitions and been domesticated by his success.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Ornamented Death posted:

There's a very loose internal chronology to the stories, largely based on Conan's apparent age during any given one. But to be honest, that's mostly irrelevant. The trap the producers of this series need to avoid is having some overarching plot. The episodes need to be a series of one-offs (or short multi-episode series) that just present an adaptation of one of the stories. Once that's finished, move on to the next.

This, please. They could easily get two episodes per story on average, and several would take far longer if they want plenty of breathing room. There's enough raw material in straight up adaptations of the stories for three seasons, easy.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

If your going to follow Howard, they have an easy framing device in a discontent King Conan reminiscing on the adventures of his younger self. Contrast young Conan's wild living and bloodlust with old Conan's misery at having realized his ambitions and been domesticated by his success.

And dont worry about continuity because memories are fuzzy

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I didn't know this thread was here. I read all of REHs Conan stories about 2 years ago, and for some reason I'm going through the whole collection again (on audiobook this time) now. I'm completely insane I guess.

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah that would be great, I doubt we'll get it though. I expect some story will be used as base to start (a thief one, Tower of the Elephant or something), then they'll tack on some reoccurring characters by pulling from other stories like Queen of the Black Coast or People of the Black Circle. Everything building to King Conan wearing the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Has anyone played the new Conan 2d20 game? I was thinking about getting back into D&D but then I heard about this, and the Hyborian Age would probably be my ideal setting for a fantasy RPG.

Alternatively, if there is an SA thread for the Conan game that you know of, please link me to it. I can't seem to find one in the TG subforum.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

MrMojok posted:

Has anyone played the new Conan 2d20 game? I was thinking about getting back into D&D but then I heard about this, and the Hyborian Age would probably be my ideal setting for a fantasy RPG.

Alternatively, if there is an SA thread for the Conan game that you know of, please link me to it. I can't seem to find one in the TG subforum.

This is really more about the Conan the Barbarian stories. Like the books themselves. While there is no thread specifically about it, the traditional games chat thread is probably a good space to discuss that game.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ok, sorry

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The important thing about Conan is to read it in a book with a Frank Frazetta cover.

http://imgur.com/a/lR5nq
I can't believe I didn't realise until relatively recently just how much Simon Bisley imitated Frazetta's style.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Payndz posted:

I can't believe I didn't realise until relatively recently just how much Simon Bisley imitated Frazetta's style.

Oh god, it' Frazetta meets Liefled.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Why does it look like his right hand has been chopped off in the snake picture?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

hatelull posted:

Why does it look like his right hand has been chopped off in the snake picture?

His hands are clenched into fists?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Davros1 posted:

His hands are clenched into fists?

OOOOH!! I see now, it was a weird perspective thing for me for whatever reason because the arm is extending backwards toward the viewer.

Context: Those images make me want to dig up my old SSOC issues. Did Howard used the Picts a lot in his books, or was that pretty much a thing from the latter material?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

hatelull posted:

Context: Those images make me want to dig up my old SSOC issues. Did Howard used the Picts a lot in his books, or was that pretty much a thing from the latter material?

Bran Mak Morn was a Pict character created by Howard. I've only read "Worms of the Earth" but I think there's a ton more stories. The Picts as they appear in Conan stuff like "Beyond the Black River" are intended more or less as equivalent to their real-life counterparts as far as I can tell.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Picts are in some Kull stories as well. I think to Howard the Picts in Kull, Conan and Bran Mak Morn are all the same "race," rising up from barbarism sometimes but always descending back into it.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Bran Mak Morn was a Pict character created by Howard. I've only read "Worms of the Earth" but I think there's a ton more stories. The Picts as they appear in Conan stuff like "Beyond the Black River" are intended more or less as equivalent to their real-life counterparts as far as I can tell.

They kinda were, and this might be beyond the scope of your post but I'm going to talk about it anyway because I think it's interesting: In that particular story the Picts represent Native Americans, and the Aquilonians are white settlers. Conan is like the Picts in that he's also a barbarian, but as an Aquilonian ally he serves an "Indian Guide" archetype in the story. I think Howard really just wanted to write historical stories set in Texas, but could sell Conan stories more easily. He more or less shows in a letter to HPL how the setting in Beyond the Black River is in Texas:

REH posted:

A student of early Texas history is struck by the fact that some of the most savage battles with the Indians were fought in the territory between the Brazos and Trinity rivers. A look at the country makes one realize why this was so. After leaving the thickly timbered litoral [sic] of East Texas, the westward sweeping pioneers drove the red men across the treeless rolling expanse now called the Fort Worth prairie, with comparative ease. But beyond the Trinity a new kind of country was encountered — bare, rugged hills, thickly timbered valleys, rocky soil that yielded scanty harvest, and was scantily watered. Here the Indians turned ferociously at bay and among those wild bare hills many a desperate war was fought out to a red finish. It took nearly forty years to win that country, and late into the (18)70’s it was the scene of swift and bloody raids and forays — leaving their reservations above Red River, and riding like fiends the Comanches would strike the cross-timber hills within twenty-four hours... Some times they won, and outracing the avengers, splashed across Red River and gained their tipis, where the fires blazed, the drums boomed and the painted, feathered warriors leaped in grotesque dances celebrating their gains in horses and scalps...

The Brazos=Black River and the Trinity=Thunder River.

Stolen from this essay: http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue181/re_howard2.html

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I love Beyond the Black River best of all his Conan stories. There are a couple of others I rank close, but it's #1.

I love the real historical inspiration REH describes in that letter above, and how this story probably more than any other best embodies his thesis about barbarism always triumphing. Also the fact that it ends kind of on a downer, which I imagine was somewhat unusual for a hero-serial at the time?

The Picts as portrayed here are also really interesting. The Picts are a lot like the Cimmerians in many ways, but have remained more technologically primitive. They don't make steel, and they remain even more savage and warlike than anyone else in the Hyborian age. The Pictish wizard Zogar Sag has managed to unite 15 or 16 clans, whipped them into a feverish bloodlust, and is about to lead them over the Black River, into the Westernmost Aquilonian frontier. He's able to get them to follow because he has strong magic, very real magic (compared to a few other REH sorcerers).

It is almost a Lovecraft-like kind of elder god cult thing, where he can control those forest animals that "remember" this elder god, and even summon animals that went extinct eons ago. The Picts are kind of stuck in time, between the Hyborian people who worship Mitra/Set/Crom and a much older age, when men and animals alike all worshipped a single old god of Nature. Very cool.

I've been trying to find a comic adaptation of this story. It doesn't look like Dark Horse ever did one, strangely. I bet Marvel did in the 70s, I will have to check.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lovecraft actually gave Howard his blessing to use his Elder Gods in his stories.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I love Beyond the Black River best of all his Conan stories. There are a couple of others I rank close, but it's #1.

I love the real historical inspiration REH describes in that letter above, and how this story probably more than any other best embodies his thesis about barbarism always triumphing. Also the fact that it ends kind of on a downer, which I imagine was somewhat unusual for a hero-serial at the time?

I love the ending. Conan literally pours one out for a dead hero-dog.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Aye, he was a better fighter than many men.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

MrMojok posted:

I've been trying to find a comic adaptation of this story. It doesn't look like Dark Horse ever did one, strangely. I bet Marvel did in the 70s, I will have to check.

Yeah, Savage Sword of Conan 26 and 27. I remember them very fondly.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes sir, and I can get that in trade paperback! I looked at some panels online, and that's not quite the way I imagined Zogar Sag and the Picts, but I'll take it. Because it appears to be the only comic adaptation ever, which is weird.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Drunkboxer posted:

I love the ending. Conan literally pours one out for a dead hero-dog.

And vows to kill a number of savages as an homage. Pretty loving metal.

I recently re-read many of the Conan stories after many years and was shocked at how racist they are. Like others have said, it's not a malicious racism, just very casual. Also agreeing with others that Howard had a prose style that still really resonates with me. It's a joy to read.

Ackwastaken
May 10, 2016
Hey, I have the Del Rey collections of Howard's Conan stories. Any thoughts on the quality of these?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ackwastaken posted:

Hey, I have the Del Rey collections of Howard's Conan stories. Any thoughts on the quality of these?

They're the original text and the way to go.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Never read any other versions. Period.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MrMojok posted:

Never read any other versions. Period.

THere was a one-volume edition of the original stories as originally published available for a while, but I don't see it online any more. The Del Rey is great, only drawback is it's multiple volumes. (The difference between the del Rey and the single volume was originally published va originally written: del Rey is based on Howard's original drafts.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 12, 2018

Ackwastaken
May 10, 2016
That's ok, I already own all volumes of the Conan stories from Del Rey. In fact, their release of the Solomon Kane stories just arrived, so I am looking forward to getting to that now too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Man I’d give anything for a nice leather-bound single volume of all the unaltered Conan stories.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm too old to know how to copypaste a link on my phone but the Gollancz collection I linked to on page 1 of this thread still seems to be available. It's got all the original stories by REH.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh, sweet! Thank you!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ackwastaken posted:

That's ok, I already own all volumes of the Conan stories from Del Rey. In fact, their release of the Solomon Kane stories just arrived, so I am looking forward to getting to that now too.

I have that one it's pretty good

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"He was . . . a strange blending of Puritan and Cavalier, with a touch of the ancient philosopher, and more than a touch of the pagan. . . . A hunger in his soul drove him on and on, an urge to right all wrongs, protect all weaker things. . . . Wayward and restless as the wind, he was consistent in only one respect—he was true to his ideals of justice and right. Such was Solomon Kane.”

Sounds pretty dumb to be honest.

Also, having read it, it is pretty dumb.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So a pretty funny anecdote about a scene from the 1982 film. When my wife and I first started dating we ended up watching the movie because I had said it was one of my favorites and she hadn't seen it. I'd seen the film probably 50 times and on her first viewing, I was up getting a drink or something and she calls out "oh my god that dude is humping a goat!" and I stroll in laughing because I think she's just messing with me. But we rewind it and sure enough, there's a guy in the background humping the poo poo out of a goat and she noticed it right away. It's been the subject of many follow up jokes over the years.

I still don't know why it was included (or how I missed it in all my previous viewings) but it somehow made me love the film even more. Maybe it's a nod to the idea of civilization being a corrupter of men? Who knows. Milius you crazy bastard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

scene: there's a guy in the background humping the poo poo out of a goat

query: I still don't know why it was included

answer: Milius you crazy bastard.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

On the Milius/Schwarzenegger commentary track, Milius himself sounds like he’s seeing it for the first time.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I have not seen that but surely that can't be the case. :wow:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Unzip and Attack posted:

I have not seen that but surely that can't be the case. :wow:

I wouldn't be surprised.

They spend a lot of time talking about how the witch-loving scene was originally X-rated but they had to remove it from the film for both said ratings and because it turned out some cameraman was beating off in the background during one of the shots.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

it turned out some cameraman was beating off in the background during one of the shots.

lmao

Also where in the movie is the goatfucking?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

bloom posted:

Also where in the movie is the goatfucking?
Same scene as camel punching, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah them spotting the dude goatfucking is why they are laughing and bump into the camel.

• Locked thread