Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

what is the computer to the left of the printer? find out this, then we can find out more about how this legendary game was made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
stop posting op

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

thats my uncle

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
That's not a computer, it's a VCR. You can see where the video cassette goes in.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Coding with a track ball is pretty cool

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

atomicthumbs posted:

That's not a computer, it's a VCR. You can see where the video cassette goes in.

it's clearly a computer with a floppy disk drive

i zoomed and enhanced:

come on ppl i thought you were good at identifying computers

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
super mario bros is the best video game ever created

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
they already had the disk drive before mario bros came out?? yowzers. somebodys uncle must have been working at nintendo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it appears to be a beige box pc, op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

let's talk about that dweeb's outfit instead

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

akadajet posted:

it appears to be a beige box pc, op

do you think it's an IBM? if so, what model?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
what os are they running?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since I'm a tryhard for useless poo poo: It appears to be a Fujitsu FM-16β (yes, literal beta character in the model name).

Information Processing Society of Japan museum page:

http://museum.ipsj.or.jp/en/computer/personal/0014.html

I'm not sure if all models supported it, but I see a lot of talk that one could apparently use 8086/80186 and Zilog Z80A CPUs at the same time in the machine by means of installing special CPU daughtercards. This also meant that it could run both DOS and CP/M, and software developed for those OSes.

Check the image at the bottom of the link above and compare to the one in the OP.

1. Off-center disk drives.
2. The vertical grate to the left of the drive bays.
3. The horizontal channel at the bottom of the case.
4. The position of the buttons on the lower right of the case seem to correspond with the ones on the case in the OP.
5. The FM-16 logo on the system is prominent enough that it would be a blurry dark smudge, same as in the upper right of the OP image when captured through a camcorder, digitally converted, and then badly compressed as a JPEG image.

NES game development was probably more boring and frustrating than anything. Bob Pape's book about how he developed a version of R-Type for the old ZX Spectrum microcomputer perhaps gives some insight into it. Namely (see page 63 of the PDF) he used a then-fancy 286-based DOS PC with some cross-platform compilers / assemblers and a special interface board to send code from the 286 PC to the Z80-based Spectrum.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Since I'm a tryhard for useless poo poo: It appears to be a Fujitsu FM-16β (yes, literal beta character in the model name).

Wow, that looks like a real piece of poo poo.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'm not sure if all models supported it, but I see a lot of talk that one could apparently use 8086/80186 and Zilog Z80A CPUs at the same time in the machine by means of installing special CPU daughtercards. This also meant that it could run both DOS and CP/M, and software developed for those OSes.

Check the image at the bottom of the link above and compare to the one in the OP.

4. The position of the buttons on the lower right of the case seem to correspond with the ones on the case in the OP.
5. The FM-16 logo on the system is prominent enough that it would be a blurry dark smudge, same as in the upper right of the OP image when captured through a camcorder, digitally converted, and then badly compressed as a JPEG image.

NES game development was probably more boring and frustrating than anything. Bob Pape's book about how he developed a version of R-Type for the old ZX Spectrum microcomputer perhaps gives some insight into it. Namely (see page 63 of the PDF) he used a then-fancy 286-based DOS PC with some cross-platform compilers / assemblers and a special interface board to send code from the 286 PC to the Z80-based Spectrum.

i love you

Leldorion
Jan 26, 2007
maybe it was a bit more like this?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Leldorion posted:

maybe it was a bit more like this?

this is loving awesome. so he used a twin famicom with a trackball to program a gameboy game?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

this is loving awesome. so he used a twin famicom with a trackball to program a gameboy game?

dude think how lovely japanese character support was back then

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

SmokaDustbowl posted:

super mario bros is the best video game ever created

actually its witcher 3

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
hey anyone remember Dr. Halo?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
pc paintbrush was scrub poo poo dr halo was on a black bg not white

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Kthulhu5000 posted:

lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

actually its witcher 3

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chome

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

not many people know this, but at one time computers used magnetic media

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

In soviet russia, computer watches video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9FXdGDMww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEeNbkvVE7g&t=1110s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArVid

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

imagine going to work in a button up and khakis instead of a t-shirt and shorts. *shudders*

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

akadajet posted:

imagine going to work

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

whatever he's working on, it's probably the jp mario 2 (aka lost levels). the fds wasn't around until 1986

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

dude think how lovely japanese character support was back then

umm mario is actually an italian plumber??? fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mario is missing was originally supposed to be about mario searching the world for peach, but the original programmer was red-green colorblind

• Locked thread