Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Problem description: I cannot get autofs to mount an SMB share. The docs that I've read (man pages, forums etc.) suggest creating an auto.smb or similar file and referencing it from the main /etc/auto.master file. However the part I'm really curious about is the existing /etc/auto.smb file which is a bash script (and appears to run smbclient instead of mount?) When I restart the autofs service I don't get any errors but the dir is empty so obviously not working.

Attempted fixes: Tried adding options into auto.master, such as user/pass and //servername/resource and ://servername/resource, etc. Tried finding some docs on this default auto.smb file. Can anyone tell me what this file is for? By which I mean if it's a general smb mounting script, it must take options via auto.master, correct? But I cannot get useful information here perhaps there's some logs I need to find that will clarify. I haven't been able to turn up a single instance of someone talking about getting SMB working with this script and/or via putting options in the auto.master file-- everyone is just writing their own. So what is the purpose of auto.smb?

Recent changes: No

--

Operating system: CentOS7

System specs: It's a VM with ok specs (4gb ram, 4 cpu, 2ghz)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Well, I kicked this around some more then gave up and just wrote a new map file which appears to work fine. I did have to add --ghost to the auto.master but I think it's because I was using a subdir as mount point e.g. /smb/winserver/resource/

• Locked thread