Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

John Romero posted:

is this still a game you can play

i remember buying this and thinking it was sick when it came out but i didnt have time for an mmo

i mean i still dont but would try it to do that jeffery combs level again

Yup, it's still around. The non-hub zones have a pretty low maximum player population by design, so it's not even different to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Worth noting is that this is the thread for the relaunch Secret World Legends which is similar but different from the one you would have paid for (probably) The Secret World.

It has a lot more f2p trappings and I believe if you missed the migration period you have to give them real money to use more than two weapons

edit:

that spike is before south africa so i have no idea what it could be

Len fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 27, 2022

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Len posted:

that spike is before south africa so i have no idea what it could be

IIRC, there was an annual raid event where flappy bird turned up in the main hub zone that finally got ported from TSW to SWL at that time and there was some sort of extra hubbub around it, like a login or completion reward

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
They must've read your post and fixed it by removing that part from the launcher splash.

Len posted:

coming up on two years :(

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
been playing this again and still love the drat game. its only been a few years since i did a full story playthrough, and still i ended up starting from the beginning to do it again. told myself "well, i at least don't need to sit and watch every cutscene and listen to every line of npc flavor dialogue, right?" and drat if that isn't exactly what i'm doing anyway.

sure wish it were even remotely possible to do the dungeons while levelling though. managed to get groups for polaris and the first hell dungeon after something like a three hour wait in the queue, and nothing since then. "story mode" should really just be a solo affair at this point in the dead game's cycle.

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
You can do them solo if you out levels them by a little bit. Queue never will work, ask in #Sanctuary channel or in Agartha general, usually someone will help. /chat join #Sanctuary

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
they let me migrate my old acct over. is there any goon presence in this game

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

John Romero posted:

There's no presence of any sort (of anyone) in this game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

John Romero posted:

I was playing for a while but then decided to play a shitload of unplayed single player games in my Steam Library. Might play again in a few months.

So no, there isn't.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I reinstall and run Ankh every now and then

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

I reinstall and run Ankh every now and then
It seems there is a problem with your short term memory.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They're making new secret world content!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/star-anvil-studios/the-secret-world/

Not for the game, though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Azubah posted:

They're making new secret world content!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/star-anvil-studios/the-secret-world/

Not for the game, though.

there are so many better systems than 5e for this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dexo posted:

there are so many better systems than 5e for this.

But it's what sells :negative:

https://twitter.com/AnvilStar/status/1460962488506359810?t=4GTLXVJ7Ea1AZBbDQVqGnQ&s=19

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
If they do what D&Destiny did and use the system as a base whilst changing a lot of things to suit, it'll be just fine.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
They're headed for their third stretch goal already and it looks like all the expensive vanity tiers (get fan art of your character in the book etc) have sold out. The game always had die-hards with money to spend though, just never enough of them :v:

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
Please note that if investing in tiers with printed items, you will have to pay "at-cost" to actually print things, it is not included in tier pricing, that just buys you a right to print if I understand it correctly.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Just gonna res this to say that I forgot how great the writing and atmosphere were in this game.

The turd that is Redfall reminded me a lot about TSW so I jumped back in. Kinda pissed that they limited the old account import so I can't unlock all the weapons now and it looks like they've leaned pretty hard into nickel and diming players for every little thing which would be more tolerable if the game had any support at all or even a functional UI out of the box for high res monitors. It also crashes a lot.

I'll see how long I can last until it pisses me off too much. For the time being it's fun and nostalgic enough to keep me playing. The loot drops are pure rear end, though and obviously tuned toward the aforementioned nickel and diming. I'm level 13 and haven't gotten a single upgrade to the gear I started with.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I haven't logged in in like a year but I vaguely remember upgrading equipment by opening the crafting menu and feeding it to existing equipment? Like there aren't a ton of straight upgrades outside of dungeons and stuff, you just feed weak gear to stronger gear to make it stronger

I check the SWL website every few weeks to see if there's any updates, any at all, coming for the game and I leave disappointed every time :smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

lol

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
They misspelled Anniversity. I think I misspelled Anniversity as well.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Ugh, why did this game have such good writing and such terrible terrible support.

It could've been beautiful, it never would have been a star but it could've been our MMO Disco Elysium.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

TGG posted:

Ugh, why did this game have such good writing and such terrible terrible support.

funcom.txt

AO still stings too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Monster of the Week is basically TSW the TTRPG already. Who needs some studio to tell us how to TTRPG this. Just release lore books!