Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

So the Deetzes move from New York to the sticks and right after they arrive, Otho shows up unexpectedly, climbing in the window. Then he lives with them for months.

I don't think he's a relative.
Is he Delia's bit on the side? Must be awkward for Charles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

He's a really loving thorough interior designer, it's not complicated.

What's wrong with him doing his job well?

It parallels the idea of wanting to remove people from "a house" while Otho is content to "fill" a house with quirky art and color schemes.

Otho is the thematic underpinning of the entire film. He is like a living ghost that haunts and moves objects around.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
And he hates, I mean hates leisure suits. Too tacky.

Also he used to be a hair analyst.

Briefly.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The disrobing of Otho is an intensely charged scene (both thematically and erotically), where Otho's power is stripped away and his white suit underneath (always there!) indicates his pristine inner life. He can no longer masquerade as the devilish summoner of spirits, and only through his own childlike terror is he free of the dark dealings within the Deetz' home.

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 4, 2017

• Locked thread