Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

You were serious about this being a chinese cartoon?
Yea it's been a thing recently where Chinese animation has actually become something to look out for. Then again this is sponsored by Tencent, the owners of League of Legends, and Mcdonald's so there's a boost in production quality. And really it's the popularity of the source material which really made this cartoon where it is today.

Story
The Protagonist, Ye Xiu has played the MMORPG GLORY for 10 years, ascending to the pro-league as one of its top players under the name Ye Qiu. Unfortunately his reclusive nature meant that his team Excellent Era was unable to market him, and at the beginning of the show decided to take away his account. He decided to cancel his contract resulting in a forced retirement for a year.

He would conveniently find a job at an internet cafe nearby when the launch of the 10th server was going to occur. Armed with pro-tier skills, unmatched knowledge of the game, and a swanky custom weapon umbrella, can Ye Xiu climb to greatness once more?

This is totally like Sword Art…
No it isn’t. Forget everything you know about MMORPG animes, here’s something a real gamer can understand. And for all the casuals (like me) you don’t really have to understand it to know that Ye Xiu’s a freaking expert. The Web Novel

Why should I watch it?
For one, it’s got pretty good animation. The use of 3D can range from incredible to awkward (Like Taiwanese News Animation Tier), but it is mostly in the background. Quality is definitely good and better then some anime showing right now. If you've ever played an MMORPG, or if you've ever followed the E-Sports scene this cartoon blows out everyone else out of the water. The soundtrack is pretty decent too.

The Novel fully fleshes out the in-game and out of game world well enough, so if you still feel like craving for more you can enjoy the many chapters that were skipped over from the cartoon.

Cast

Ye Xiu: "One Autumn Leaf"(Excellent Era) and "Lord Grim"(10th Server). He's the main character and plays the unspecialized class. This is only possible due to his knowledge of the pre-level 20 skills, custom weapon umbrella that shifts into other weapon types, and pro level skills.

Su Mucheng: "Dancing Rain" (Excellent Era) and Cleansing Mist (10th Server).Ye Xiu's partner in crime, she plays as a Launcher. As a girl e-sports player, she's one of the more commercially profitable ones.

Chen Guo: "Chasing Haze" She plays as a Launcher and is the Manager of the Internet Cafe Ye Xiu works at. Massive Mucheng and Ye Qiu Fangirl.

Tang Rong: "Gentle Mist" She's a Battle Mage and has a natural talent for eye-hand coordination and high APM. She's Chen Guo's friend. Learns to appreciate Glory from Ye Xiu.

Bao Rongxing"Steam Bun Invasion" He's a Brawler, and he's a complete Noob. He plays for the fun of it. (Brawler class has a pocket sand ability)

Huang Shaotian:"Troubling Rain" (Blue Rain) and "Flowing Tree" (10th Server). He's a Blade Master whose infamous for his ability to trash talk both vocally and via text. He's on a different E-Sports team then the others.

So about those other teams
I’m not caught up yet to the web novel translations. But lets just say that the chinese fanbase does support these fictional teams. Hell yesterday (May 29) was Ye-Xiu's birthday and they had a celebration over that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5oIxdVQIQ

So how many episodes?
Pretty late into the season. Episode 8’s been officially released, while episode 9 is behind a paywall (and fan subs, but given fan subs are working with the official subs what’s the point?). This is a 12 episode series with more on the way. But none this year cause the studio's got other projects going on.
Official Subs are here:
Episode 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSjaP1eV5eQ

Here's the translation for the web novel, It's only about a third of the way through so far, so it'll take a day or so to read through it.
http://gravitytales.com/novel/the-kings-avatar

There's also a manhua version which is more paced like the novel, so it's just as detailed and informative.

http://gravitytales.com/novel/the-kings-avatar-manhua

This post was sponsored by McDonalds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymnKleTYgYs

Missingnoleader fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just started watching but it's already better than SAO by virtue of having some kind of idea of what a MMO is rather than a web of contrivances.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Four episodes in and it's doing okay. Probably the biggest issue is that while there's a decent understanding of how MMOs work, it's not very good at depicting it. The animation is fine but the action looks a bit generic and feels disconnected at times. Overall, I'd say Log Horizon still manages to be a better.

Also lol 10-year old MMO but people don't get how Ye Xiu is playing or what sort of weapon he's using.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
To be fair, why would anyone suspect that any game company would take the time to code a secret legendary weapon that looks like a joke (umbrella) that also breaks the game's standard conventions by turning into a gun? That they also hide behind a massive massive paywall of crafting materials?

Also, this story is kinda hilarious if you play Dungeon Fighter Online, the real-life Korean MMO that Glory copies wholesale. I hope they animate [novel spoilers] the saga of Unrivaled Super Hottie because that is a treat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the link to the official subs doesn't work. is this even available in the us?

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the link to the official subs doesn't work. is this even available in the us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSjaP1eV5eQ
Yea here's the link to the first episode.

booksnake posted:

To be fair, why would anyone suspect that any game company would take the time to code a secret legendary weapon that looks like a joke (umbrella) that also breaks the game's standard conventions by turning into a gun? That they also hide behind a massive massive paywall of crafting materials?

Also, this story is kinda hilarious if you play Dungeon Fighter Online, the real-life Korean MMO that Glory copies wholesale. I hope they animate [novel spoilers] the saga of Unrivaled Super Hottie because that is a treat.

It's funny given that Tencent owns the license to Dungeon Fighter Online in China.
The Season Ends on the Sin City Event

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Watched up to episode 8.

The fights never get all that interesting to watch. The explanation for why Ye Xiu is so powerful makes enough sense that I'm not bothered by it, and it ties in nicely with how it's clear the writer has played or just done the research on MMOs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
so, wait, China decided to cut out the middle man and instead of writing a lovely fantasy show about being sucked into a game world it's just about a guy playing a video game

i'd laugh it off but "it's literally Dungeon Fighter Online and his sidekick is an F. Launcher" has my attention

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There are a bunch of Korean and Chinese web novels about playing MMOs and pro gaming.

They do say write what you know. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the difference is that absolutely all of those are about vrmmos. also, a lot of them feature future selves replacing and effectively killing their past selves for the sake of cheating in a video game.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Sindai posted:

There are a bunch of Korean and Chinese web novels about playing MMOs and pro gaming.

They do say write what you know. :v:

The King's Avatar is basically THE e-sports web novel given that it received Best Work on the site for 2013 as well as some really cool award in 2012 that only it as qualified for called the 1000 Pledged Work (千盟作品). But I guess a lot of the info dumping done in the web novel can be avoided to an audience that already knows about MMOs.

This cartoon may or may not be part of a plot by Qidian to use Qidian International to spread its tendrils into the fan translation communities.

https://www.webnovel.com/book/7176992105000305

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
okay wow this actually kind of owns, the comically evil manager is amazing

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
This has always been one of the most inexplicable settings for a novel possible to me. There's no tension. It's a dude playing a video game for no stakes. Like it's not like the pro gaming side of it means gently caress all, his team is incredibly mediocre after he leaves and he makes a new name for himself basically instantly. After his time was up he could get back to making money straight away. So it's not like he has to show up his evil old team, because they are loving incompetent and show themselves up basically the second he's gone. There is no tension about the new guy that takes his place, that guy is just flat out not as good as him. It's not like he has to worry about making money, because his skills don't start to degrade or anything. It's basically just watching a dude clown on folks in an online game where people aren't building giant dick statues.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's an incredibly specific wish-fulfillment. but yeah, it isn't exactly gripping unless you can sympathize with his hysterical fans who shriek and wail and rip their own faces off because they can't handle watching someone play video games well.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
There's an ensemble cast so the actual tension comes from whether Mr Brick and Miss APM can progress and accomplish their goals. The protagonist is at least mentoring these random noobs as well as clowning on assholes.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Making a name for himself is really the only way he can ever gather enough people to re-enter the pro-league. The other characters like Tang Rou and Steam Bun Invasion have a long way to go before they can be pro-tier players. One player can't carry a team to victory in the pro-league. The other teams and thus their guilds are becoming aware of who Lord Grim is. As it stands Lord Grim is holding the records hostage in exchange for crafting materials. And while Excellent Era's a sinking ship effectively, their guild Excellent Dynasty can still put pressure on Ye Xiu. It's one thing to be clowning one guild, but Ye Xiu can't handle the major guilds descending on him like a European Intervention in China.

Something that's understated in the cartoon is the subtle escalation of crafting materials he requires. He's already got the reputation of the master record breaker in this server, which previously only belonged to individual guilds, so his ransoming and mercenary work are only a means to quickly gain materials without grinding forever. Given that there are equipment in this game, Ye Xiu must continually upgrade his weapon to continue dealing damage.

Episode 8 pretty much shows the current ceiling that Ye Xiu has hit. Wang Jiexi pretty much forced Ye Xiu to a draw. Both are top tier pros, and they're equivalent levels in this server, but the unspecialized class is in theory superior to other builds at this point. It is after this level that unspecialized stops being OP and begins embodies Jack of All Trades, Master of None as the other classes unlock more powerful class skills.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's an incredibly specific wish-fulfillment. but yeah, it isn't exactly gripping unless you can sympathize with his hysterical fans who shriek and wail and rip their own faces off because they can't handle watching someone play video games well.
Consider it more like a Lets Play of Glory by a Pro who's written the strategy guides to the game, featuring other players that people get very invested with. You know he's gonna win (though as episode 8 shows not always), but how he'll pull it off and how the other players are doing attract the interest. (James 315's Battlefield 1942 Lets Play resembles this slightly for me anyways.)

Now for some other interesting stuff.

Have you ever wanted the sound of a expert trash talking Chinese man to wake you up in the morning? Well here you go, Huang Shaotian's voice actor did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpVFuwRIizI

And here's a glimpse of the popularity of the series or at least the dedication of its fanbase. On Ye Xiu's birthday a fan group rented out an LED ad space at a mall in Beijing for the entire day.

Actually Ye Xiu's birthday had some other fun stuff happening, but that's for a later post.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It was always a joy to see TiMe2DiE was part of a match, and his hilarious attempts at chat trash talk

edit: and his even funnier attempts to flirt with people on the opposing team

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 2, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think I'd enjoy it more if Excellent Era's members, other than Su Mucheng, weren't introduced and continually characterized as huge evil jackasses. More buildup to his retirement, more contemplation on pushing out a member of the team who has advised and mentored its own members for years, etc. It'd totally make sense to me if the management did this without consulting the team members, but instead the entire team is in on it.

There's no tension but they are at least building up towards future tension as Missingnoleader said. Ye Xiu's build is powerful at low levels, enough so that it gives him an insane edge over even pros because of it. But the pros typically train and play at the level cap (I assume there might be lower level/level restricted competitive scenes but obviously the max level stuff gets the spotlight) and competing with his record times and dueling Ye Xiu's character aren't happening at the glorious realm of the level cap. They're playing with a limited toolset while he has everything. I assume that later adjustments to unspecialized have made it less dead in the water past level 50 (I think that was the threshold) when the other classes start tapping into their full potential. Even then, unless unspecialized gets to tap into the advanced skills and abilities, he's going to have a much harder time.

But at the moment I'm mostly in it for the journey and the antics. Starting it I was anticipating something better but what ended up happening isn't bad at all. Ye Xiu's reflexes are going to get worse with age so there's an element in keeping himself from getting rusty. He's going with a different build than battle mage so he's not just following the same path as before. He's also gathering and personally mentoring a new team, though I'm not sure where that'll go. So far only Tang Rou seems interested in going pro. Steamed Bun will likely stick to them like a remora but it's unclear if he wants to go pro. I'd assume he'll recruit more people over time.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

I forgot about the existence of the manhua, which is basically the web novel as a comic, so it is much better paced then the cartoon. Right now the translation's is at the equivalent of episode 5. And you actually can see some of the comedy that's lost in adaptation. Mostly of which is Endless Night of Tyrannical Ambition. Though the manga designs are pretty different then the cartoon. So here's a few examples of what you might be missing.

And just because I find the way this was said humorous.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Episode 9 is official out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrJCWK7MNEI

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I've been waiting to watch this with a friend, we're only at episode 4 so far, but I've been really liking the web novel. Nice to see someone made a thread for this.
Didn't know about the comic, I'll have to read that at some point.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I never seen a chinanime before so i decided to give this a whirl. Watched all 9 eps yesterday. And it's ok. They seem to know their MMORPG stuffs which helps. Theres not much conflict though. And it could use a proper villain.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

what are some other chinese anime that might be worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mulva posted:

This has always been one of the most inexplicable settings for a novel possible to me. There's no tension. It's a dude playing a video game for no stakes.

I almost watch it as a slice of life series. Like I get the future storylines that are being built towards, but often the individual stories in the episodes don't even have much to do with them, and they're just a fun little tale about the gang clowning around, maybe setting a new boss record, running from the entire server, whatever.

Anyway I think it's fun.

• Locked thread