Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
I am not sure that this is the correct thread to post this in, but anyway:
Can anyone here tell me what the criteria are for someone to be eligible for Polish citizenship? I am currently a British citizen, and would like to know if there is any point in making an enquiry about this with the relevant authorities. Does partial Polish ancestry enable one to qualify? My paternal grandfather (now deceased) was a Pole, a citizen of Poland and resident there up until 1939, and I have the documents to prove it. My paternal grandmother (also deceased since 1961) was also resident in Poland up to 1939, but was ethnically Ukrainian, and I cannot find any documents that prove that she had any kind of Polish citizenship. As such, would my ancestry at least grant me a hearing with the relevant authorities? Are there any other criteria, such as having a certain level of academic/professional qualifications, a job to go to. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_nationality_law "there can be no break in Polish citizenship between the emigrant ancestor and the descendant"

You're not eligible unless your parents also claimed citizenship. It's actually pretty rare for countries to give citizenship to people who are grandchildren of citizens, but whose parents did not take citizenship. Some countries do allow this, like the US, but you also have to do it before you turn 18.

Your best bet is to marry a Pole, or move there and spend a lot of time there. If you claim citizenship by birthright, then there are never any other factors (e.g. having a job, having a university degree) AFAIK for any country.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 31, 2017

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It's not going to happen unless you learn Polish and live in Poland for at least 3 years. 2 years stay if you are married to a Pole for 3 years. Fast tracked citizenship is available only to ethnic Poles from former Soviet union.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
Well, that sucks. I thought that I might be on to something with my Polish ancestry. I guess that I will have to find another way of retaining my rights as a citizen of the European Union. Actually, that might be a good idea for a new thread. Thanks for the answers!

• Locked thread