Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've just been getting into them, but I'm very bad. I've been playing Project CARS and Dirt Rally to practice - both have useful things to teach about car physics and handling. I have a pretty basic PS4 wheel, since I'm not good enough to invest in anything better. Racing imps, what helped you get better at these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
buy an old manual transmission vehicle to practice IRL!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I've found that watching different people's replays on youtube (especially for Dirt daily challenges) really helped me get a better sense of the ways you can approach different parts of tracks

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've just been getting into them, but I'm very bad. I've been playing Project CARS and Dirt Rally to practice - both have useful things to teach about car physics and handling. I have a pretty basic PS4 wheel, since I'm not good enough to invest in anything better. Racing imps, what helped you get better at these?

I've been playing rfactor 2 off and on over the last few years. this video is long but helped me improve the most https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
just practise .. its an inevitable requirement of getting good at something. eventually youll memorise tracks and then you can think about how youre driving them. if you learn the nurburgring (the nordsleife) in project cars then youll be able to drive any track. in dirt rally the co driver is very good so you can get away with just learning specific corners for each stage

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

The license tests in gran turismo 4 helped me get a lot of the basics down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2q7U9O8v0k

Then I moved on to Forza 3 and the rewind feature let me practise individual corners over and over and then finally I bought a G27 and started running practise sessions in F1 2010 over and over

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

just practise .. its an inevitable requirement of getting good at something. eventually youll memorise tracks and then you can think about how youre driving them. if you learn the nurburgring (the nordsleife) in project cars then youll be able to drive any track. in dirt rally the co driver is very good so you can get away with just learning specific corners for each stage
How much does wheel choice matter? I've got a Thrustmaster T80 on the PS4 because I was able to get it for $60 instead of like $200 for the T150.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

How much does wheel choice matter? I've got a Thrustmaster T80 on the PS4 because I was able to get it for $60 instead of like $200 for the T150.

I don't know about those wheels specifically but you'll want good force feedback (actually lets you feel all four wheels) with a good profiler, as you'll be changing settings per game
for example http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/g27-profiler-settings.108323/
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni8DeyQqlk0

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hollenhammer posted:

I don't know about those wheels specifically but you'll want good force feedback (actually lets you feel all four wheels) with a good profiler, as you'll be changing settings per game
for example http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/g27-profiler-settings.108323/
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni8DeyQqlk0
I'm on PS4, so all my settings are in-game.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm on PS4, so all my settings are in-game.

Fair enough but the same principles apply to your actual car's setup in game

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The t80 is good enough, after a point you're buying better force feedback which feels awesome but doesn't really help performance. You just have to practice and watch skip barber videos etc

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Right now I'm just trying to be able to take turns correctly at all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like sims a lot more than arcade racers because you can look up real-world racing guides and apply them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used my friends expensive racing wheel and shifter to play dirt rally and it was fun, except I kept trying to ease on the wheel to make it straighten out which never worked

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

I used my friends expensive racing wheel and shifter to play dirt rally and it was fun, except I kept trying to ease on the wheel to make it straighten out which never worked

You mean rather than letting it go to straighten out?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

julian assflange posted:

You mean rather than letting it go to straighten out?

Well yeah because letting go made the force feedback go nuts and put the car hard left or right

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Upon reflection its pretty likely he hosed with the settings

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

Well yeah because letting go made the force feedback go nuts and put the car hard left or right

Haven't played with one for a while but I think the early/cheap wheels didn't like that so yeah had move it back yourself

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

a wheel with force feedback (the t150) is much better than one without (the t80) because it simulates wheel resistance + road rumble etc, presumably thats where the extra cost comes from. but you can even excel at sim racing with a regular controller if youre so inclined. but if you want sim racing to feel close to real driving a wheel with force feedback is needed

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
anyway it doesnt really matter, like i said you can set world record times with a controller if you want, even in sims like project cars which arent set up for controllers by default. you can always upgrade later if you really get into it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

a wheel with force feedback (the t150) is much better than one without (the t80) because it simulates wheel resistance + road rumble etc, presumably thats where the extra cost comes from. but you can even excel at sim racing with a regular controller if youre so inclined. but if you want sim racing to feel close to real driving a wheel with force feedback is needed
I'm thinking I'll save up and jump straight to the t-300 when I can.

Reviews suck though so maybe not

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wait the t-80 doesn't have force feedback?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

That thing is more expensive than a driving force pro wtf

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Wait the t-80 doesn't have force feedback?
I got it for like half price, so it was worth it as a beginner wheel.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M28M311?ref=aw_sitb_digital-text

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
GT7 in October, if anybody cares.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

WHAT

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i heard about iracing where to get started, rather than winning you have to not hit anything and that seemed really interesting to me. anyone else play iut

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

Im excited for it .. you cant really call it a realistic sim anymore but theyre great racing games anyway

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ArfJason posted:

i heard about iracing where to get started, rather than winning you have to not hit anything and that seemed really interesting to me. anyone else play iut

its a good sim, in some ways the best, but it costs an unreasonable amount of money to get into (you buy cars and tracks individually and they arent cheap) and the online community is kind of ... stiff? like the community spirit seems to favour the unpleasant combo of personality traits where people are both extremely pedantic about how everyone else is driving while also being extremely slow and bad at driving themselves. basically its full of the kinds of personalities who are willing to spend that much on a racing sim

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
good sims to get into for cheap are project cars and assetto corsa. i personally prefer project cars even though its not the best simulator because it has the best tracks, and you can have day/night races and stuff. but wet weather races dont work well in it because the slick tires are almost always faster than the wet tires and tyre wear doesnt really work either, like tyres either work perfectly or theyre completely worn out

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

Im excited for it .. you cant really call it a realistic sim anymore but theyre great racing games anyway

Same here.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

its a good sim, in some ways the best, but it costs an unreasonable amount of money to get into (you buy cars and tracks individually and they arent cheap) and the online community is kind of ... stiff? like the community spirit seems to favour the unpleasant combo of personality traits where people are both extremely pedantic about how everyone else is driving while also being extremely slow and bad at driving themselves. basically its full of the kinds of personalities who are willing to spend that much on a racing sim

I'd love iRacing on a console, tbh. It was fun when I played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I checked and its subscription based. Absolutely killed any chance of me playing

• Locked thread