Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It's been a very long time since I've been able to find a good slasher movie and it's killing me. I've been making do with lovely shoestring budget b-movies with poo poo writing, poo poo acting, poo poo filming, and poo poo kills and special effects. I am sick of them. And I can't even begin to watch found footage films.

Have there been any good slashers in the last couple of years? Bleed was decent and is along the lines of what I'm looking for. Bed of the Dead looks really good but it's still only playing at festivals apparently. I'm also looking forward to the second season of Slasher. But that's all I'm aware of.

Please help! :sigh:

Side note: most of the lovely b-movies I've been watching have Eric Roberts in them. Apparently he's in the "anything for a buck" stage of his career. He plays the characters like he gives no shits whatsoever what the director thinks and is usually the highlight of the films.

Edit: At least one of the suggestions so far has been PG-13, so I should clarify that I'm looking for R-rated and unrated movies.

...! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Blair Witch is kinda a slasher by a stretch. Lots of people liked it, but I was kinda disappointed. It probably still lands on the good side?

The Gallows was decent and corny.

I had fun with Stage Fright but it's kinda gimmicky. If you aren't into musicals though, I can see that aspect being completely loving annoying.

Probably too old, but I liked Texas Chainsaw (3D?) a whole lot.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Green Room, OP

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Triangle isn't a classical slasher, but it's a good stabby killer movie with a time paradox gimmick if you haven't seen it yet.

And if you somehow missed It Follows, go un-miss it.

And Final Girls is an OK slasher comedy in the Scream mold. That one girl from American Horror Story is in it, not the annoying blonde, the other one.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 2, 2017

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Haha, it probably says a lot about me that I've actually already seen all of those. Green Room was awesome (I loved it enough to buy the blu-ray; Patrick Stewart is pretty drat amazing) but not quite what I'm looking for at the moment. Stage Fright was really terrible but I watched the whole thing because I've had a thing for Allie MacDonald for awhile now. And, as I actually said in an unrelated thread earlier today, The Final Girls was hamstrung by its PG-13 rating. They had to pull their punches so much that I'd honestly have to classify the movie as a wannabe slasher rather than a true one.

Of these suggestions, I'd say that Texas Chainsaw is closest to what I'm looking for. Other examples would be You're Next, the Laid to Rest series, The Collection, Bleed, Cabin Fever (2016), the Final Destination series, No One Lives, and The Devil's Dolls.

So I've watched a ton and I'm jonesing for more. I guess they just aren't making many these days.

Edit: Cabin in the Woods is also the kind of thing I'm looking for.

...! fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 3, 2017

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

How about Tucker and Dale vs Evil? It's like 7 years old, but it totally slipped under my radar for a while because of the garbage tier title.

Oh, oh oh! I know. Look up Cold Prey. There's three of them. They're Norwegian so you'll be reading subs or listening to dubs, but they look gorgeous and adapt the classic Friday the 13th formula to the cold North. The lead actress is the tattooed chick from Westworld.

Since Seed of Chucky was complete trash, I think a lot of people skipped Curse of Chucky. It goes back to its roots and cuts all the extra characters though. None of the meta, 4th wall breaking poo poo with Jennifer Tilly. It might be worth a shot if you're a Child's Play sort of fellow. The sequel, Cult of Chucky, comes out this year too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw8rBxYC1Dw

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 3, 2017

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Donnerberg posted:

How about Tucker and Dale vs Evil? It's like 7 years old, but it totally slipped under my radar for a while because of the garbage tier title.

Oh, oh oh! I know. Look up Cold Prey. There's three of them. They're Norwegian so you'll be reading subs or listening to dubs, but they look gorgeous and adapt the classic Friday the 13th formula to the cold North. The lead actress is the tattooed chick from Westworld.

Since Seed of Chucky was complete trash, I think a lot of people skipped Curse of Chucky. It goes back to its roots and cuts all the extra characters though. None of the meta, 4th wall breaking poo poo with Jennifer Tilly. It might be worth a shot if you're a Child's Play sort of fellow. The sequel, Cult of Chucky, comes out this year too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw8rBxYC1Dw

Tucker and Dale is another one I have on blu-ray. Awesome film. Alan Tudyk is always fantastic and Katrina Bowden is a great final girl. She was also a great final girl in Hold Your Breath. Curse of Chucky is another poo poo one that I mainly watched for Fiona Dourif (who was also awesome in last year's Blood Is Blood, which isn't quite a slasher).

I'll check out Cold Prey. The last Norwegian series I watched was Dead Snow. The first one was pretty good (except for a decapitation that was so blurry that you have to squint to see it). The second one was pure garbage.

I really like movies that subvert expectations by having the final girl die. Fender Bender was an otherwise awful movie that almost redeemed itself when that happened.

Neighbor is another one I saw recently that I loved. Some of the kills were pretty inventive.

I watch way too many of these things.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

So... the only US versions of the Cold Prey movies I can find are on iTunes. Only the first two are available and the first one is SD only, which is a shame. I've become such a video elitist that SD makes my eyes bleed. I could import the Norwegian blu-rays from Amazon, rip them to get rid of the region lock (my PC gives no shits about region; I've imported plenty of region B stuff) and watch them on my TV via DLNA. My only concern would be whether or not they have English subtitles. If they don't, that would be a dealbreaker.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, by the way.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The third Cold Prey is weaker than the others and barely ties into them. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it. The other two, I liked them, but I don't know. I'd feel bad if you spent a bunch of time and money on them and didn't get anything out of it.

Well, at least you know they exist in case you stumble across them somewhere.

If you end up buying any of them from amazon, read the description carefully please. Amazon are always accurate about subs. I looked it up on amazon uk, and there's at least 4 different blu-ray versions of the first Cold Prey / "Fritt Vilt" just in the European region, and only one has English subs from what I can tell. It isn't consistent between each movie in the trilogy either. The first has English subs in Norway, while the second seems to only have Scandinavian subs. I also spotted a trilogy pack, but it didn't have English subs.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 3, 2017

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
What about Shrooms?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its korean and idk if it counts as a slasher but The Chaser is good

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I'll look into Shrooms and The Chaser. The last Asian slasher I watched was Tomie Unlimited, which was surprisingly good and weird as all hell. I'm on the fence about the Teke Teke movies. They look like they might be good but they also look like they might be really bad. I can't tell, and I don't want to waste any time on them if they're bad.

As far as TV shows go, I really, really like Slasher and I'm mad that season two is taking so long. I really, really wanted to like American Horror Story. I actually watched a good bit of it before I realized I wasn't enjoying it. Same with Scream Queens, which felt like it was trying to be campy just for the sake of being campy rather than entertaining. Emma Roberts, Abigail Breslin, and Lea Michele all really grated on me, especially Emma. It's weird because I usually like those actresses.

And MTV has put out a couple of good shows, surprisingly. Eye Candy had started to pick up a good bit of steam before it was canceled. Scream is decent for what it is, even though it seems to be squarely targeting a TV-14 rating. The Halloween bonus episode this past October was actually a lot more violent and gruesome than the rest of the show and I'd be shocked if it didn't get a TV-MA slapped on it. That gives me a lot of hope for the upcoming season.

Edit: The only bad part of Slasher was Katie McGrath because she kept slipping in and out of her Irish accent. They really should have done retakes of those scenes until she got it right. She hasn't had that same problem in Supergirl, which makes me think that the Slasher directors should have been paying more attention. They have apparently ditched her for season two.

Edit 2: Shrooms doesn't appear to be quite as violent as I'm trying to find (hopefully I'm wrong) but I really like Alice Greczyn, so I'll give it a shot.

...! fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 5, 2017

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Shrooms has a solid Cabin Fever vibe, but yeah from what I remember there are really only one or two grossout scenes

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

a good slasher i watched recently was a movie called alien. its a bit of a generic name but surprisingly decent

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Just watched Roadkill, which is surprisingly gory for a TV-14 made for TV Syfy movie. Good special effects. B-movie done right.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jason X

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

...! posted:

It's been a very long time since I've been able to find a good slasher movie and it's killing me. I've been making do with lovely shoestring budget b-movies with poo poo writing, poo poo acting, poo poo filming, and poo poo kills and special effects. I am sick of them. And I can't even begin to watch found footage films.

Have there been any good slashers in the last couple of years? Bleed was decent and is along the lines of what I'm looking for. Bed of the Dead looks really good but it's still only playing at festivals apparently. I'm also looking forward to the second season of Slasher. But that's all I'm aware of.

Please help! :sigh:

Side note: most of the lovely b-movies I've been watching have Eric Roberts in them. Apparently he's in the "anything for a buck" stage of his career. He plays the characters like he gives no shits whatsoever what the director thinks and is usually the highlight of the films.

Edit: At least one of the suggestions so far has been PG-13, so I should clarify that I'm looking for R-rated and unrated movies.

you're next

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Check out Among the Living , good opening but the middle sags a bit but otherwise a good entry into the Slasher genre

...!
Oct 5, 2003

R. Guyovich posted:

you're next

I actually mentioned that movie.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I've seen pretty much all the movies in every major franchise. In Jason X, the frozen face kill was great but the movie was all downhill from there.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Check out Among the Living , good opening but the middle sags a bit but otherwise a good entry into the Slasher genre

It looks like that movie is just mainly kids?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

...! posted:

I actually mentioned that movie.

whoops, i only read the op. you're kind of out of luck except for direct-to-video stuff since horror is all about the supernatural now

...!
Oct 5, 2003

OK, I'm starting to get a little pissed since this just happened twice in a row. Bought two slashers on blu-ray (and one of them was imported!) only to discover that they were R-rated and the more graphic unrated versions are only available in SD. WHY???

...!
Oct 5, 2003

R. Guyovich posted:

whoops, i only read the op. you're kind of out of luck except for direct-to-video stuff since horror is all about the supernatural now

And that kind of "horror" drives me up the drat wall. It's almost as bad as found footage.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

...! posted:

And that kind of "horror" drives me up the drat wall. It's almost as bad as found footage.

nothing scares me more than a loved one inviting me to watch a found footage movie with them

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I somehow overlooked Saw 7 in my slasher-watching fever, which is weird since I've seen the first six. Just watched it and it was loving fantastic except for the stupid yellow tint. Can't wait for the new one.

And I keep seeing rumors of Wrong Turn 7 being made, which would be awesome.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I quite enjoyed Open Grave.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

If I remember correctly, that's the one where Erin Richards officially got on my nerves for some reason. And I don't recall it being very bloody/violent? Very, very far cry from what I'm looking for.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I really liked Late Phases. I wouldn't say it's a slasher exactly, but it's close enough. It's about a blind Vietnam vet who has to stop a werewolf from preying on his retirement community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Until Dawn is on PSN+ this month and it's a pretty cool interactive slasher that could probably make a decent horror movie.

• Locked thread