Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I think the tone of voice Angela used for "The water's gone" sounds like it would more appropriate for "Water go down da hooooole".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

And just as it was ramping towards something...The Note has suddenly come to an end. In the end, what are we left with? A rather short horror adventure title with a number of interesting game play mechanics and a mostly scattershot story with a bunch of different ideas and themes that ultimately go nowhere. I mean why even introduce any other evil spirits besides Necromeda when they never have an impact on the story and are never seen as direct threats? And wasn't the entire point of kidnapping the kids to use them to make new soulstones? If that was the case, then why not give the player a different ending when all the kids are dead? Or have anything change or make it seem like Necromeda even gives a poo poo? It's not like the game didn't try to have some level of alternate dialogue or paths...but the ending was just the ending. And what of the single room in the starting mansion that we could never unlock? Was that meant to be another red herring like the room that Paulo gave us a key to? And why was there a portrait of a Gundam in the closet? And why did Linda's jacket say 'Does PP2 exist?' Sadly I tried my best to figure out what I could but I mostly ended up with more questions than answers in the end...the most niggling one that won't leave my mind is what did the title of this game mean? They kept showing a notebook and I guess it was Paulo's book, but it didn't seem to have to do with the story in any way, shape, or form. And you don't just name a game something that has no connection at all with the game....gently caress.

In the end though, it was an interesting journey, albeit a very confusing one. And top it all off, I give you a lil bit of weirdness I stumbled upon in my gently caress-up save and probably the one real bit of terror in the entire game: Bonus 7- Linda's Revenge.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
At least that answers the question as to whether it was deliberate that Paulo had no neck. And yeah, the whole handling of the game feels rather... underdeveloped.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, this game feels very half baked. They had all these set pieces in mind then noticed they had no money or time to really make them, so they just padded the first part of the game all to hell with that "get oil for Angela" bit and had Paulo handle the boss fights they couldn't code off screen. I mean the Master of Death doesn't even have a voice actor because he's not in the game outside of that one model and one painting.

Lots of games of this era had that problem, so unlike some I was not surprised when it started rushing its conclusion, but this one is so cheap and its gimmicks so obnoxious that it stands out.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Maybe it refers to a musical note, in which case it would surely be an FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Just joking, its a neat experiment of a game, thanks for lping it niggurath.

If Paulo was the god of dreams, did he actually have a wife? Or was it a ruse to get rid of his fellow gods and claim power for himself?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
That sure was some pacing. I guess I was almost there with Paulo...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I knew he was strange and way too convenient. I expected him to be a demon or monster like Necromeda, but I expected him to betray us at the last minute too.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Maybe Paulo just wanted to be left alone and allow himself to re-enter the dream world. Or maybe that final bit at the end of the credits when he is revealed to be the fourth missing spirit was supposed to be a setup for a sequel, but obviously none of that ever came to fruition.

edit: Also wanted to make one more additional note regarding the final boss fight that I tried out to see if there was alternate dialogue or if anything changed. So Necromeda's soulstone that you find in her room and that is pretty easy not to miss, well the game doesn't stop you from forgetting it and just proceeding on. And what happens when you reach that cutscene where she stops you from leaving the mansion? It just continues on normally and you're brought into her boss fight....in a completely unwinnable state. And outside of the PS1's soft reset by using button inputs on the controller, there is no simple way to get back to the main menu to start again. You have to fully shut down the game and restart it, and each time you do that you have to redo the brightness settings and all the initial options, and seriously it takes like two minutes to get into the game from the main menu every time. Fun times all around!

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 4, 2017

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The thing that strikes me as incredibly derp in that last fight is the fact that the target KEEPS MOVING while you're in the pause menu. Polish!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I didn't really expect that ending, I mean the actual ending is fine if a bit sequel baiting, but the last part feels a bit like "whoops we have to end it here throw in some bosses", Actually I really would have liked to know what a sequel would have looked like, with some polish and refinement of the mechanics. Did the devs make any other game? Thanks for showing it off, it's a shame games like this are unknown & forgotten, because even if they didn't quite work out they were pretty neat.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hel posted:

I didn't really expect that ending, I mean the actual ending is fine if a bit sequel baiting, but the last part feels a bit like "whoops we have to end it here throw in some bosses", Actually I really would have liked to know what a sequel would have looked like, with some polish and refinement of the mechanics. Did the devs make any other game? Thanks for showing it off, it's a shame games like this are unknown & forgotten, because even if they didn't quite work out they were pretty neat.
This is a list of the other games they did: http://www.mobygames.com/company/nk-system-co-ltd

So you have a PS1 Pokemon-type RPG with dull game play and terrible dialogue, a licensed RTS for a sci-fi anime, and a bizarre PS2 survival sim that seemed to involve hang-gliding on an alien world and ducks? Seriously, this is the info I could find on it:

quote:

Aerial Planet is a sci-fi flight and survival simulation game set on a distant planet. The game is divided into two sections: flight mode and camp mode. In flight mode, the player controls Hugo as he pilots his glider. It is possible to interact with the different types of birds, following their flight paths and recording their calls, which can be played back to communicate with them. Through communicating with the birds and exploring ever further from the camp, the player can learn more about the planet, find additional camp sites, and ultimately figure out how to reach the research base. While in flight, it is also possible to take photographs which can be reviewed later.

In camp mode, the player can review currently-active objectives, as well as check the known information for each bird type that has been encountered. It is also only possible to eat and rest while at the camp, which Hugo must do in order to survive. His stamina will steadily deplete while in flight, and flying in certain conditions such as rain and snow will cause his stamina to deplete more quickly.

Sadly the hang gliding duck survival game was never localized, so we missed out on a real treasure there.

Most importantly though, I'm glad to say that this LP for The Note was finished successfully. The one other let's play of this I could find had the emulator crash on the guy during the end cut scene and he just gave up and complained about it for 20 minutes. So hooray I guess.

And finally I was trying to figure out what to LP next and these were the current possibilities. A VLP of Kouldeka (obviously with random battles and poo poo edited out), Deception 4 (though I'll be playing the PS3 version and I don't know if the PS4 version with the extra content would make that moot to LP), or maybe Extermination (though I've held off on doing that cause the game can get fairly dull even by my standards). I also keep thinking of Silent Hill 1 (cause I've LP'ed most of the series otherwise) but I honestly think that game's been LP'ed enough and it's already being LP'ed right now by CJacobs.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm interested in seeing a Koudelka LP.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Yeah, Koudelka sounds good. As much as I loved the Shadow Hearts games I haven't actually seen that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I could get behind Koudelka, though I find the antics of the Deception series more entertaining.

• Locked thread