Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I think I remember seeing this game for sale new at full price. I think full price Games had gone to $60 when the Xbox Original and PS2 came around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

HR12345 posted:

I think I remember seeing this game for sale new at full price. I think full price Games had gone to $60 when the Xbox Original and PS2 came around.

I seem to recall them being $50 until seventh gen, but either way that's a lot of money for Shrek

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hot Shrek analysis

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This being originally a tech demo genuinely explains a lot. If anything, it's surprisingly playable for a demo, with quite a bit of gameplay for something that should be mostly limited. Sure, that gameplay is repetitive and broken, but it's there.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

This being originally a tech demo genuinely explains a lot. If anything, it's surprisingly playable for a demo, with quite a bit of gameplay for something that should be mostly limited. Sure, that gameplay is repetitive and broken, but it's there.

And then they tried to turn it into a better, more realized product, and it got worse.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think my favorite part is how they couldnt get shreks va or even a sound alike. So every character but shrek gets a goofy voice, and hes just the lady reading the intros.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Geez, those Doctor Who movies from the 60s has some stiff competition for getting just about every drat thing wrong from both the original game and Extra Large. And I say this as someone who is indifferent to Shrek as a whole apart the first two films which I personally consider good.

Like yes, Shrek was basically a middle finger to Disney and apparently not regarded highly by the production staff when the first film was being made, with being forced to work on it even being a punishment at DreamWorks. But you'd think that there'd be more effort put into the drat game at least.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 12, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Geez, those Doctor Who movies from the 60s has some stiff competition for getting just about every drat thing wrong from both the original game and Extra Large. And I say this as someone who is indifferent to Shrek as a whole apart the first two films which I personally consider good.

Like yes, Shrek was basically a middle finger to Disney and apparently not regarded highly by the production staff when the first film was being made, with being forced to work on it even being a punishment at DreamWorks. But you'd think that there'd be more effort put into the drat game at least.

In particular I think Shrek 2 was great, but yeah, there's nothing here resembling the unique tone of the first two films.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wait, hang on - are we to believe that molasses is the poop of ice cream folk?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, hang on - are we to believe that molasses is the poop of ice cream folk?

The Ice Cream Queen really wanted her kingdom covered in poo poo.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Shrek, savior of helpless fish

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Am I wrong, or did I see one of the fairies phase through the ceiling at one point?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Am I wrong, or did I see one of the fairies phase through the ceiling at one point?

They can pass through walls

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GamesAreSupernice posted:

They can pass through walls

What a feature.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I've played worse final levels.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, that isn't a great finale but it's an acceptable one. I don't think the game itself deserves more, so it's fine, it's playable, just like the rest of this weird game.

Good LP, I don't think I would've seen this weird SonicShrek game otherwise.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well, those credits kinda sucked.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, that isn't a great finale but it's an acceptable one. I don't think the game itself deserves more, so it's fine, it's playable, just like the rest of this weird game.

Good LP, I don't think I would've seen this weird SonicShrek game otherwise.

I wish the back of the case said, "very playable".

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Earlier I likened this game to Amicus Productions' film adaptations of Doctor Who in terms of sheer incompetence and getting every drat thing wrong (watch Nash's reviews of them to an idea of how hilariously awful these films are). The reason I say this because it missed one of the factors I believe contributed to the success of Shrek as a franchise.

This factor being the fact that while Shrek is not an overly complex character and isn't meant to be, he's also not a walking brute stereotype either. In fact an early joke in the original Shrek film involes the titular character correcting someone mixing ogres up with giants.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I wouldn't necessarily call Shrek deep either, but the characters in the film were remarkably thoughtful, and it's understandable to want that reflected in the games.

• Locked thread