Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Afal posted:

Fast Forward Record Rewind - Cool stealth game. Liked the mechanics with this one, and I liked that you could easily go through the story without too much punishment for "not doing the job". I couldn't seem to score anything which was odd to me. Cute aesthetics.

Thanks for playing it! If you picked up the recorder before leaving then you don't get any score. You've got to leave it on the floor, despite it making no sense. I didn't explain it very well so that's my bad, but I'm glad you got something out of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

drat. I died just before finishing that guy.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Afal posted:

uh... hm... it looks like only one person has submitted for the "guess the judges picks"... I guess Tann is the winner of Glittermitten Grove. All of the predictions might be totally wrong but who cares?

Twist: if I get none correct, I have to buy it for you!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Here's the last of my game impressions, covering ones that weren't announced as finished in this thread (or maybe were and I somehow missed them) thrown into random.org. Thanks again to all submitter for a really great jam this year! So many solid games!

Overreach by Team Phlargenarffen
Kind of like Smash Bros if everyone was Dhalsim. I unfortunately couldn't play this one with anybody (if I knew beforehand I could've but I must have missed that when I checked, and unfortunately The Gong Show didn't do multiplayer either so I couldn't see it), but it seems the key is to use positioning for range fishing and abuse the counter. It seemed a bit janky at times with the shield not triggering when it was supposed to, which kind of led into a bit of button mashing, and objects had a few bugs (bad spawns or making the jumps pretty useless). Actually, it's pretty great it has any AI in it at all. Also, It does look like an arena brawler pretty strikingly which is cool that that much polish went into it!

Red Planet IV by Missing Sentinel Software
A Game Boy-esque shmup that's just a blast to play! And in PICO-8 nonetheless! The only thing I can fault it on is the theme, unless I squint hard. Also maybe that bullets blend in a bit too much on one of the levels. A must play!

I beat !Easy Mode!

JUICE by ok hand emoji
This is an odd one. It seemed to be more of a showcase of various graphical effects (in HTML5?) rather than an actual game. And it almost felt like something you'd see in Newgrounds ten years or so ago. I tried it on three computers and every single one barely crawled. I think I got pretty far but there's no checkpoints so all it took was a bad attack pattern and that was it.

Booze Blues by The Janky Crew
Infinite runner with a 1920s rubber hose-esque animation style (like the earliest Merry Melodys). The graphics and the music work to good effect! A nitpick but I wish there was a different font as it was hard to read and similarly a lot of the objects didn't quite pop enough from the background. Some level sections were done rather well but others didn't seem to have much of a rhythm to them. I seemed to have an issue determining hitboxes which probably didn't help. A quick, pretty game that hits the theme well, though!

The Booze Barn by Some Brothers Studios
Alcohol bootlegging mini-games with a little bit of perk-buying attached to it. I was confused at first because there's no controls until you enter it but it seemed fairly generous. I liked the archery-style disinfectant one and thankfully the bug one didn't seem to lower it much (it was probably the most exciting although probably the most prone to RNG). Not bad for the Brothers' first foray into 3D!

Headphone Hero by ChikinWings
This fun Run and Gun platformer really hits the bootleg console game angle well! Not just the graphics, which strongly invoke a knock-off feel of malformed proprietary characters and brute-forced animation, but even the way the gameplay kind of feels like an off-kilter or off-engine mash-up (maybe this fictional shady developer wanted to do Mega Man but only had access to Pulseman). I do wish it was a little more user friendly (a lot of off-screen hits) and more complete feeling (though credits boss was a funny touch) but it really is an easy recommendation.

Afal posted:

uh... hm... it looks like only one person has submitted for the "guess the judges picks"... I guess Tann is the winner of Glittermitten Grove. All of the predictions might be totally wrong but who cares?
I had it in my notes as "!!!DO TODAY!!!" but I :effort: on using Google Accounts. Next time I'll have to mark it as "!!!!~DO TODAY~!!!!" so I really remember.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Afal posted:

lots of good reviews

Thriftynauts - The childlike drawings in this are pretty cute. Got pretty hilarious seeing my laser go bigger and bigger and filling the entire screen almost while also only dealing 0.1 damage. The "katamari" aspect of it gets undermined when it becomes harder to move because you're just swamped with scrap metal you can't get rid of

Kudos for the multiple and thoughtful reviews; it's interesting seeing others' takes on games I have also played.

I thought I was over my failings in Thriftynauts, but clearly I am not. I think if I ever do something that's contrary to classical conditioning in the future, I'll have to be absolutely ham-fisted about it. The base accepts scrap after it's been damaged a bit -- the one meaningful decision you can make in any given run-through is to leave the base a bit and let it take damage when you have some scrap you want to ditch. That also provides the opportunity to harvest more distant derelicts.

Also, that's about the peak of my drawing ability. Clearly I stopped pursing art in middle school, though at least a second-hand drawing tablet allowed for smoother lines this time around. Last jam I had to scan everything.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
judging is LIVE https://www.twitch.tv/awfuljams

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh wow, almost missed it! Thought it was tomorrow for some reason.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Wooo congrats everyone!!!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i'm super happy Missile Champions got a nomination in best style and appreciated the comments on it. congrats to the winners! :toot:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The most important part of the Jam is jam-ming all these sweet video games into your occipital lobe.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Myron posted:

Maybe it's just the flu, but I'm too dumb for this one...

I've gotten a few comments on that. I probably should have found some way to break it down into another puzzle that introduces the concept more clearly before getting to that one.

If you're curious, here is the intended solution: https://gfycat.com/RigidBelatedBats

Giggs posted:

The passing mechanic is really cool. The way it draws the line of the receiver while you're drawing the QB's path is a great idea.
I don't know how I feel about how the pass has to dodge the defenders between the QB and receiver though, perhaps a short "lob" could be applied to the ball so that blocked passes only occur if the defenders are close to either the receiver or QB.

In this instance the lighter gray implies height where the defender can't touch the ball.

Stages could just be designed around/with it too though, so no big deal.

Very cool!

I originally didn't allow defenders to block passes in the air, but I found it was too powerful and hard to design puzzles around. Every solution was just to draw the defenders away from the receiver. Letting them block the pass adds the requirement to create an open line between the QB and receiver. I can see how it might feel bad though, as that's obviously not how you'd expect passing to go in real football. The lob might be a good middle ground, but I'd have to figure out how to communicate it to the player so it seems consistent and fair. I'll play with it and see how it goes.

Doom Goon posted:

Neat little unassuming football play simulator! Pretty fun, actually, just needs some QoL stuff like redos, and maybe a few more levels! Really nice job with the hints although maybe make them pop (at least the first time). I don't get the theme connection but it really was a fun ten minutes or so (and one that was really easy to slip into). Also, just saw that you added some of the mechanics and levels post-Gong to it which is awesome!

"Bootleg" is a type of football play, so I went with that. I had thought about framing the game as a youth football coach running drills with his team, so there would be dialog explicitly like "we're going to run a bootleg now" and then getting crazier as the puzzles look less like actual football. Ultimately, I wasn't confident that I could make it entertaining instead of tedious and I probably didn't have time to implement that stuff anyway.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to play and give such great feedback!

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Congrats to everyone!
If anyone cares, I'm like 99% sure I'll expand Bat-Man a bit. Not too much, maybe something like five or six stages with as many bossfights, plus some other fixes and tweaks.

Nate405 posted:

I've gotten a few comments on that. I probably should have found some way to break it down into another puzzle that introduces the concept more clearly before getting to that one.

If you're curious, here is the intended solution: https://gfycat.com/RigidBelatedBats

Yeah, that's pretty much what I tried, but I always got my attacker stuck, so I thought I might be overlooking something obvious. I did solve it pretty much immediatley after posting that image, although I let four guys defend and just squeezed through somehow.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I had to miss the stream of the deliberations but I'm caught up and congrats to all the winners! So many teams made such good-rear end games.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I missed the stream but I'm pretty happy that Booze Blues was the runner up for the art category, there were lots of games with great art this year.

Grats to all the winners and everyone else who participated too.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Are the results posted somewhere for us to read? I checked awfuljams.com's main and games page, as well as the first post of this thread, and to some extent the twitch.tv link though half that site doesn't work on my browser.

Or is that coming out in ~8 hours when the timer ends?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Congrats to everyone who won!

I'm honored that BOOTLEGS won "Most Fun" and was even CONSIDERED for "Game of the Jam".

A much-deserved win for Kurm Frog Teach ABC, in my opinion.

Expect to see updates on BOOTLEGS over the coming months as we fix a lot of the issues (including camera and jump controls ;)) and release something on mobile!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

nolen posted:

Congrats to everyone who won!

I'm honored that BOOTLEGS won "Most Fun" and was even CONSIDERED for "Game of the Jam".

A much-deserved win for Kurm Frog Teach ABC, in my opinion.

Expect to see updates on BOOTLEGS over the coming months as we fix a lot of the issues (including camera and jump controls ;)) and release something on mobile!

Yes, congrats to all.

Totally going to download your game when it's out.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
:siren: The winners, top picks, and judgements are up on the site! :siren:

Also, the best game page award goes to...
a tie between SimShine and Missile Champions! I'll contact you both on Discord for your Dream Daddy prizes.

If I were still doing awards for postmortem, let it be known that Fast Forward Record Rewind has a real great postmortem.

----

As many of you know, I'm working on a redesign of the site. It'll be awesome, and I want to highlight the history of users more, and make teams more betterer and more obvious, and especially highlight postmortems and allow for people to post reviews on the site rather than everything going in the thread. So if you want to air any grievances about the site as-is, or tell me how awesome I am and give me encouragement, hit me up on Discord!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Congrats everyone! Now time for me to read the Judgements and whatever post-mortems I missed. Oh, and whoever does Octojams I hope you'll consider posting it in Games or something so I don't almost miss it again!

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

I want to highlight the history of users more, and make teams more betterer and more obvious, and especially highlight postmortems and allow for people to post reviews on the site rather than everything going in the thread.
:krad:

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Thanks so much to the judges! There were so many good games this year and I am totally blown away by the reception my weird and troubling Mupet game got. Kurm wave him arms in grateful to you this day.

Shoutout to fellow Awfuljammers Weird BIAS for introducing me to the SA gamedev scene in the first place and especially to Afal for tearing apart my early web games/schooling me on all the good stuff my current games run on. You guys ams the real MVPs~

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I'd like to to be incredibly clear in saying that Tann did pretty much all of the work and made the huge plurality of the good decisions. I'm fortunate beyond words to have been given the opportunity to work with him. Thank you to the judges and submitters.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hooray, SimShine won....Best Narrative!! :confuoot:

To explain this win, I present this post mortem:

What went well: I bought ApproachingInfinity pizza.

Room for improvement: I did not buy megane pizza.

Conclusion: buy all your team members pizza for maximum category wins. I will test this hypothesis next Jam.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

So if you want to air any grievances about the site as-is, or tell me how awesome I am and give me encouragement, hit me up on Discord the thread!

Minor site suggestion: think you could add a way to sort the games randomly? I don't generally play all of them but do want to review a few and as other have noticed, often the most popular ones also receive the most additional attention. That could be partially because they're at the top of the list or have subconsciously eye-grabbing banners.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Hammer Bro. posted:

Minor site suggestion: think you could add a way to sort the games randomly? I don't generally play all of them but do want to review a few and as other have noticed, often the most popular ones also receive the most additional attention. That could be partially because they're at the top of the list or have subconsciously eye-grabbing banners.

Should scramble em on page load / load em randomly so it's different per visit.

Am I missing something on the site? Results haven't been posted but have sort of been explained somewhere?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SharpenedSpoon made a post a little while ago with this, if that's what you're after: http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/winners.

Not sure if there are direct links to it elsewhere, but it was what I was looking for.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Hammer Bro. posted:

SharpenedSpoon made a post a little while ago with this, if that's what you're after: http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/winners.

Not sure if there are direct links to it elsewhere, but it was what I was looking for.

Ah cool thanks. Congrats to the winners!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

gday thread, someone played the winners/top picks of the jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-Zhdz3e2k

• Locked thread