Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Hey, I need some help.

3 weeks ago I fell down the stairs of my house.

Oops!

The good news, I didn't break any bones or knock out any of my teeth.

The bad, I skidded down the steps on my face, and was rewarded with a big rear end splinter in my chin and several cuts and bruises.

So, I called the three friends I have in real life, and one of them answered, an ex girlfriend who agreed to come over and pull the piece of wood out of my face. This was cool, and I thought I was all good, just needed some time to heal up and make up an excuse as to why I looked like poo poo for the next few days.

Flash forward to now. I think I still have a few pieces of splinter in my chin. These are under the skin, I have some pus from the hole after a hot shower, just can't get a grasp on the obstruction with tweezers,I don't want to go to the doctor. I have health insurance but don't want to pay the huge deductible.

Any ideas? I try to get in the ocean, but lately it's been cold. I also heard a salt compress might help.

Getting tired of digging into my face with metal to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
There are foreign bodies lodged in your face. Go to the doctor.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Dig deeper. Get bigger tweezers. Use a crowbar if you have to.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

There are foreign bodies lodged in your face. Go to the doctor.
I know I should, but I'm kinda stubborn and cheap. Since I avoided the hospital from the get-go, I kinda want to stay on track.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Clamps McGraw posted:

Dig deeper. Get bigger tweezers. Use a crowbar if you have to.
This, I like. Going to let it fester overnight, I have to work in the morning. Have the next few days off, maybe I'll do some digging.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

This is right after my tumble down the stairs. It was a pain, because I felt like an idiot for having to carry around a paper towel to catch the blood dripping from my chin.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 10, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Dig at it with a pin.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

The first splinter from 3 weeks ago, as compared to a penny.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 10, 2017

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

redreader posted:

Dig at it with a pin.

As I mentioned earlier, I have to wait until I have a few days off so that I don't scare away the customers at my couple of jobs. What I am looking for here is some practical advice for the prompt removal of some milled lumber that happened to get in the way of my face when I fell down the stairs of my beach house. Why did I fall down the steps, you may ask?

This whole debacle started a few months ago.

Long, boring story deleted.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 9, 2017

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Just go to a drat urgent care center, it'll only be a couple hundred at most and you'll avoid dying by infection. Pus on a wound is bad news and who knows what the hell was in that wood when it got shoved into your skin. The money isn't going to be any good to you if this turns into something worse.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
You're going to get a serious infection, go to the goddamn hospital or some sort of urgent care, ASAP. Poking it is the worst thing you can do.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
If it wasn't three weeks ago, and three weeks of digging at it jesus christ, I'd have said try ichthammol ointment. But now with the pus + three weeks + making the wounds worse, you've almost definitely going to get a serious infection (if you haven't already got one) that will need approximately 200% more treatment than you would have needed if you'd gone to the doctor in the first place.

Go see a professional.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't looked at any of the pictures, but three weeks with onset of festering is a bit late for DIY surgery. I have used a sterile scalpel blade and disinfectant to expose a splinter I couldn't reach with tweezers before, but don't take that as a recommendation to do that to your face. Those were just shallow bits of thorn in my hands.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Current status of my lower face.

Gotta admit, it feels weird to be asking for medical advice from the internet. I really appreciate y'all taking the time to help me out.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 10, 2017

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Now that I've seen the pics, yeah, see a doctor and suck up the cost. As large as that first piece was, and with three weeks of festering and semi-healing, there's no way you can be sure to get everything that's still there. Any DIY stuff will just give you an ugly scar and no guarantee of success.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Okay, going to the doctor tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help. Think they will let me take a picture of whatever they pull out of my face? Hope so.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

DamagedGoods posted:

Current status of my lower face.

Gotta admit, it feels weird to be asking for medical advice from the internet. I really appreciate y'all taking the time to help me out.

Yeah that looks hella infected and I wouldn't know where to dig to get the splinter out. Doctor.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

No! Did Moria teach you nothing?

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

DamagedGoods posted:

Okay, going to the doctor tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help. Think they will let me take a picture of whatever they pull out of my face? Hope so.

Status update, I know this sounds like stupid talk, and it is.

I had to work a wedding today.

Eleven and a half hours making sure that everything was perfect.

Not Bridzillas, close.

Doctor visit got pushed back.

Another day won't kill me. I squirted some triple antibiotic salve into the hole I have in my chin.

I know I sound like an rear end in a top hat, but my propensity is to wait until the last minute for everything.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 11, 2017

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Finally went to the doctor

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
The two small pieces were extracted today.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Wow, what a relief. And it only cost 20 bucks.

Went to the urgent care today, everything is fine.

Long story short, I was kinda dumb with this whole accident.

The visit with the doctor was quick and efficient.

Thankful for Lidacane, and I got a Tdap while I was there, just to be sure. (tetanus shot)

Thanks again for all the advice, dear internet strangers. I will sleep soundly tonight, no worries.

The lady that gave me the tetanus told me it would feel like a punch in the arm tomorrow morning, geesh, she was right. Me'thinks I shall walk to the beach and get in the ocean, the saltwater will accelerate the healing. And this is how I move on.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 12, 2017

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
So what's the chance of this guy getting his open wound infected with some sort of flesh-eating bacteria during his little swim in the ocean?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ancillary Character posted:

So what's the chance of this guy getting his open wound infected with some sort of flesh-eating bacteria during his little swim in the ocean?

Probably pretty good

http://www.livescience.com/59353-tattoo-flesh-eating-bacteria.html

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Isn't the ocean filthy? Why would it help at all with healing?

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
The ocean is cleaner than anything you touch. gently caress the haters. Atlantic ain't gonna hurt me any more than the stairs I fell down.

Please remember this is about my wooden chin.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Another went to the doctors success story

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

No idea what part of the Atlantic you're going into, but some parts near cities are definitely gross as hell man. If you want salt water on your face just make some at home instead of risking a dip in the ocean.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Most things you touch doesn't have necrotizing bacteria that can easily enter your body through half healed wounds. Water and soil germs are nasty.

Just mix some salt and water.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Current state of my lumpy chin. Considering a return visit to the doctor, I think maybe a few more pieces of wood in my face still remain.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 27, 2017

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It really looks like you have something in there under the little triangle of red spots.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

DamagedGoods posted:

Current state of my lumpy chin. Considering a return visit to the doctor, I think maybe a few more pieces of wood in my face still remain.

Yeah, consider medical advice.

Edit: never mind, looks like photoshop trolling

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Went to the local walk in clinic for a follow up the other day.

Paid my 20 bux copay.

Got my blood pressure checked, they stuck something in my ear to make sure my temp was good.

Weighed me, yes I'm still overweight.

Doc came into the room after about twenty minutes. Looks me over and says...

"I'm not going to make another cut into your face"

"Whatever is in there will eventually work itself out. Don't worry, I just had a piece of pencil lead from thirty years ago work its way out of my body"

Then he said, and this is gold, my friends.

"Not going to charge you for this visit."

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
hmm yes it is no surprise to me that an urgent care doctor, who definitely does not get paid enough to be doing basically minor surgery work, placated you with the placebo effect of anecdotal healing instead of actually making sure your chin isn't about to rot away. this isn't to say don't trust your local urgent care guy, but uh, idk a second opinion might not be horrible

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
America is weird.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

You might be OK if it's been this this long, but I've had big chunks of wood under my skin that resulted in a serious infection. That triangle of spots to the side of your chin really looks like there's something under the skin rubbing against it, that's exactly what the skin on my toe looked like before it swelled up to the size of a golf ball and required emergency surgery.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Pixelante posted:

America is weird.

Yeah my thought upon reading this thread was immediately "Yeah this is basically how American healthcare works."

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I had glass in my hand, it eventually worked its way to the surface and I dug it out.
It took 15 years.
https://ibb.co/g6j475
https://ibb.co/kfn7S5

fist4jesus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I recommend you throw yourself down the stairs in (as close as you can) exact replication of your first fall. If done right, you should reopen the original wounds in the order they were first received. Now that the wounds are reopened you should now be able to take tweezers and pull out the original chunks or any new ones. Clean the wounds out properly with some clean water and hydrogen peroxide or alcohol and then apply some antibiotic ointment and cover the wounds like you should have done in the first place.

• Locked thread