Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So my fiance and I are going to Austin over Columbus Day weekend to visit friends and eat lots of food. We'll be landing the morning of October 7th and leaving late afternoon on the 10th to visit family in Dallas for a day before leaving for good on the 11th. Also one of her friends lives in San Antonio, so we will be spending a day there as well.

I know nothing about Austin, and have never been to Texas. Based on our itinerary we will have 3 full days in Austin. One half day in San Antonio, and one full day in Dallas. The Dallas visit is mostly to see her family though, so I'm not worried about that.

I have looked at what is going on that weekend and so far I have found the follow to do:

1) One night at the Austin City Limits music festival. We would go Saturday, the day we land. But this is up in the air as it depends what bands are playing that day and how much tickets are.

2) Hamilton Pool Preserve

3) LBJ Library

4) Zilker Botanical Garden

Any other tips for sights to see? We also really need help with food. In particular BBQ (its Texas so of course) and I heard that Austin has a pretty good Ramen scene. Also any cool places to catch an indie show for music would be nice. If it helps, I already booked a studio apartment from Homeaway located right in Hyde Park.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Password_Is_Taco
Jun 6, 2013
Feed the hobos

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
I live in Dallas. It sucks here. Deep Ellum or Bishop Arts (two trendy areas) would be my recommendation for finding something to do, eat, or live music.

Hamilton Pool requires a reservation now at least in the summer, I would double check prior to heading out. It's a ways out. If you can squeeze in Lost Maples and are into hiking it would be nice although it might still be too early for any color change there.

Stubbs is a BBQ joint / music venue that might scratch your itch.

Also check out http://thedaytripper.com/2017/06/15/podcast-49-texas-monthly-bbq-list-review/ Chet does a show on PBS where he travels all over TX reviewing things to do and places to eat with a heavy focus on BBQ.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

You may also want to check out what kind of Oktoberfest style events are taking part in that timeframe. You're in the heart of German/ Czech Texas after all!

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
Unless you want to, you don't have to stand in line six hours for good BBQ. Mickelthwait's, either of the Black's (same family different businesses), or Stiles Switch are all in town, are excellent, and have reasonable lines. Get brisket wherever you go, thats the standard by which Texas BBQ is judged.

Sadly the population explosion here has done a number on all the local swimming holes and you will be hard pressed to get in. Hamilton takes reservations only now.

Driving west down 290 into the Hill Country is a pretty drive and there's plenty of wine if you're into that.

For nightlife/music try east of I-35, its disappearing fast but the last remnants of old Austin are over there. Skylark lounge is a favorite of mine for blues/jazz.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chieves posted:

You may also want to check out what kind of Oktoberfest style events are taking part in that timeframe. You're in the heart of German/ Czech Texas after all!

Definitely get some Czech food if you see any. Salt Lick is a good BBQ place, a bit of a drive from the city proper but not too far and it's a pretty route.

The Museum of the Weird is some kitschy fun, if you're into Bigfoot type stuff.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
You've gotta see a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse.

There's one on 6th street, which is good. See a movie, leave, eat dinner, go to the bars see some music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Food:

Torchy's Tacos
Taco Deli (gotta compare the two!)
BBQ (literally any one you find will be better than what you have at home, don't stress out too much about the options. Black's, Salt Lick, Stubbs, all totally fine)
Homeslice Pizza
If you live in a part of the country that doesn't have In N' Out... we have them. Feel free to partake.
Amy's Ice Cream
Chuy's
Kerbey Lane Cafe
If you're interested in driving outside the city, the town of Lockhart is about 45 minutes away. It's a tiny, very old Texas town, but the thrill of it is the three families that own the best (competing) BBQ places in the state. Everyone has their personal favorite, but all three are insanely good. Choose from Black's, Kreuz's, or Smitty's.

Things:

State Capitol is pretty.
The Bullock State History Museum is surprisingly good. I'm from the East Coast originally, and expected to hate this museum, but I've been back there twice now. Texas has a pretty fascinating history, I guess.
Alamo Drafthouse is easily the best movie theater chain in the country. If there's nothing specific you want to see the week you're here, check their site for any special viewings they've got going on. They always are showing popular classics from the 80's and 90's, plus they have things like Master Pancake (MST3K-style performances) at the Ritz downtown.
Pinballz is a pretty neato old-school arcade.
If you're into board games, Dragon's Lair is a very, very big store.

• Locked thread