Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Problem description: Bought 16gb of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM to replace the stock 8gb of DDR4 RAM. Both sticks work, as do both channels, but for some reason, my PC won't recognize any peripherals with both sticks in. With just one stick in either slot the PC will boot and run just fine. When adding the second stick, my monitor isn't even recognized, so I can't see if it's booting, but I'm 99.9% sure it's not. All the RAM is new, no mixing and matching, and the new RAM is the same speed as the old.

Attempted fixes:
-Reseated the memory in each channel, swapped sticks and channels.
-Updated the BIOS
-Reset the mobo battery

Recent changes: None

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs:
Motherboard: ASUS G11CD
GPU: GTX 970
Memory: ASUS 8gb Stock
CPU: i5 6400
SSD: Samsung VEVO 750

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What RAM did you buy? Try forcing lower memory speeds or less aggressive timings on a single stick.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Alereon posted:

What RAM did you buy? Try forcing lower memory speeds or less aggressive timings on a single stick.

Bought 16gb (2x8gb) of DDR4 @ 2133 MHz, Corsair Vengeance. Same speed as my current stick. Playing with the bios, it looks like my mobo was closing a channel when 2 sticks were inserted. A buddy of mine came over and forced open the channel, and now it all works perfectly.

Now I see why IT guys deserve to make more money. Good lord this was a headache. Problem loving solved.

• Locked thread