Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Problem description:

PC will boot from power button as long as it has been shutdown. If restarted by user or automatically by an update program, it will not restart. It hangs at a black screen. I do not see any specific motherboard posting info (where normally I would at least see the splash) on an attempted restart. It does not show any Windows logos, either. If you shut it down and power on, it will boot up and even finish updates. So it currently has an updated install of Windows 10 on it.

Attempted fixes:

Updating all motherboard drivers, system drivers, rechecking hardware connections

Recent changes:

I'm building a system, so these are all new changes. I've not been able to affect the reboot problem with any changes in settings or updates.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 x64 OEM, updated fully after installation

System specs:

Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350M PRO-VDH motherboard
Corsair Vengenace RAM (3200) (16gb), installed in the correct two motherboard slots
EVGA 430W power supply
Zotac Geforce 710 2gb
Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Additional and perhaps useful info:
I installed W10 with the motherboard options on default, which means it installed without WHQL and presumably is using MBR and not GPT? Would this matter?
The MSI debug LED does not show errors on a cold boot. On a reboot attempt, it shows a VGA error (same with VGA or DVI cable attached). I do not have onboard video and do not have a second card to test with.
RAM is running at 2166 for some reason.
I'm using MSI's Windows utility to update the board drivers, as I couldn't locate this MB model on their website under their drivers sections. I think it is a relatively new model.

In summary everything works fine unless I reboot.

I'm going to try testing the memory, but any suggestions would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Turns out it was the USB 3.0 front panel that was doing it. All was well after correcting that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Turn on XMP in your BIOS to fix the memory speeds.

• Locked thread