Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Problem description:
Relatively new build (I think January!). Recently, I have noticed that my sound keeps stuttering. Whether I'm listening to music or playing a game - everything sounds as normal but every so often the sound will stutter. This appears to happen randomly - usually 5 or 6 times each minute though.

This happens with my standard audio from the in-built motherboard sound card as well as from a USB headset.

I do not know if this is relevant, however my computer went through a short period of rebooting through playing Overwatch. It wouldn't happen too frequently and the issue seemed to go away when I gave the computer a little more breathing space - ie moving it further away from the wall. When playing, Overwatch would freeze and the system would be unresponsive - NO REBOOT, I'd have to do this manually.

Attempted fixes:
I've updated my bios and I've updated my sound card drivers. No dice.

Recent changes:
I cannot think of anything that has been changed lately other than adding an Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Network Card a few months ago, and recently using wireless internet rather than USB tethering from my phone.
Music I'm playing are mp3 files on my disk - not online.

--

Operating system:
Windows 10 Home (64 bit)

System specs:
PC-Part Picker link: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/FFfH99

Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor Kaby-Lake (with Cooler Master - Hyper TX3 Evo 43.1 CFM CPU Cooler)
Asus - PRIME Z270-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
MSI - GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Network Card
Cooler Master - B500 ver.2 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yep!

I really can't work out what's causing this. It wasn't an issue a few months ago when I built the system. It just seems to have cropped up for no apparent reason lately.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Ok, so after looking into this further the stuttering seems to stop when I disable the wireless network card. Once it's re-enabled, the stuttering comes back.
I've tried updating the drivers for the Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Network Card too, but it hasn't made a difference.

I'm happy it seems to have been narrowed down a little, but I don't really understand what's causing this.

• Locked thread