Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSHx-9Cg13t06FS9TDBWypA
Playlist (includes old uncommentated recordings): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5nBsKgB1S6O_48ZbUn_X_cthVmSSD-9p

I've been doing these since they started back in 2015 but only recently decided to record them with some semblance of commentary. Enjoy listening to me complain about this game with various degrees of sensibility.

If anyone wants to do a race or just co-commentate, I'm more than happy to give it a whirl!

These are usually online (done uploading) by around 6pm central time.

5/25/17
5/26/17
5/27/17
5/29/17
5/30/17
5/31/17 (boss rush without taking damage!)
6/3/17
6/5/17
6/6/17
6/8/17
6/9/17
6/10/17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is possibly a good basis for a thread but as is it is not enough to avoid being a YouTube dump.

Okay, you've got back-videos. That's not a crime, but your OP contains an absolute dearth of any of the things we would expect of a thread here, up to and including any information about why anyone should care about the game, the expansion, the daily runs, etc. The hard and fast rules we have here have been dwindling and dwindling of late, but one of the ones that's stuck is that it's not enough to just roll up and say "here's me playing this video game", with no attempt to sell anyone on it, and then just dump a load of videos.

It's one thing to have a light OP followed by a fully commentated informative playthrough of the game from scratch explaining as you go, but this is just diving into daily runs. I only know what those even mean because I've played the game!

A cardinal rule here is, make your LP for the thread, not your thread for your already-ongoing LP. There's wriggle room on this, of course, but this clearly falls outside that. If you want this to work as a Something Awful LP Thread, I propose these two alternatives:

0) Whatever you do, you're going to need a better OP that at least provides an outline of the game, how it works, why it's interesting enough for hordes of people to play daily for years and years, and so on. Sell people wandering through on this nifty game! See other threads in the forums for the kinds of things we look for.

1) Soft reboot your daily run series and go Full Informative. We're going to explain everything as we go, including the basic rules, level progression, room/floor generation, enemies and bosses, and cards/items/trinkets/etc, as we come across them. Hold nothing back. It's going to be kinda information overload for new players and you're going to have to help them through that.

or

2) Continue your daily run series as is, but have that only be half of the LP. The other half will document a new file, from scratch, also explaining literally everything as we go but with the added benefit of the slow rollout of the multitudes of crap in the game to help control the rate at which you have to explain things. This approach will be broadly easier for you to commentate at any time, but will require more recording. (You might consider alternating between them daily.) The benefit will be you get an informative series for those who want it, and you get the straight-in-the-deep end poo poo for anyone who already knows it, plus it'll probably be entertaining for people who are learning to see some of the insanity that awaits (if, and only if, they're already invested in learning about the game, which is why your current approach won't work).

There are probably some other ways you can go about this! I just haven't thought of them. If you want a whole lot of really good advice, I suggest you go and consult the Sandcastle, who will be full of helpful suggestions for how to run a thread for a game like this. I think there's an opening for a really well done Afterbirth+ thread here, and getting it right will basically be a huge win for everyone.

Good luck!

• Locked thread