Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enophos
Feb 29, 2008
Survival in war is sadly up to chance. No matter how strong, smart, or resourceful you are - if a bullet, mortar, bomb, or rocket catches you it’s over. Every day I wonder how people I looked up to and who I thought were much better than me died and yet I survived. I share this because after two combat tours in the middle east I still struggle to understand that no one can outsmart a bullet. Training and proficiency will help, but if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time there is nothing that can change what happens. Best of luck for anyone heading into a combat zone. War is not fair, it is a condition that you must operate under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Are you doing ok?

Serious question.

Try not to carry that around at home, it will wear you out. You can't change it. Remember them as they were.

Clay was the first friend I made in the platoon. He invited me to play halo on our ghetto rigged network with everyone and was just a cool loving dude. His fiancée died in a car crash during basic and instead of getting out when it was offered, he stayed in because he believed it was the right thing to do. Really just a genuine and good person.

Josh was my gunner and I spent so many drat hours in the truck with him. My favorite memories with him were bullshitting while watching movies after patrol as we cleaned his .50. We were halfway through Major Payne when he died. I still haven't finished it.

Wes was the most affable and happy go lucky E-6 I have ever seen. He was like the cool uncle who snuck you beers at family gatherings, but without being a dirtbag. People used to argue about who got to ride in his truck because he could make a 12 hour patrol almost fun.

Jason was my roommate and became one of my best friends. We went on a bunch of trips all over the place while stateside. He was rad as gently caress. He didn't die but the injuries made his brain swell and he's barely the same person.

It's been 10 years and I'm slowly dealing with it. Talk to someone. It really helps.

I did it and it pissed me the gently caress off at first. I mean what the gently caress does this civilian know about any of this? A lot apparently, In the end, it was exactly what I needed to hear even if it took years to sink in.

So I'm gonna say it to you.

It's not your fault. It's trite and cliche but it's loving true.

It's not your fault. There isn't a drat thing you can or could do and they wouldn't want you feeling so lovely over bad luck. You all went in knowing the risks, their number came up and yours didn't.

Don't waste what they didn't get feeling lovely. loving enjoy it for you and them.

Sorry for the post if I completely misjudged your OP. You just seemed like you were in a bad place and forcing myself to let go improved my life significantly so I wanted to share how I got my head sorted out. Hopefully it helps you a bit.

For anyone who is on the way over for the first time or considering it... poo poo sucks, keep your head on a swivel and don't trust the loving locals. Join the Air Force or pick a POG as gently caress MOS.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
let us sit above the ground and tell sad stories

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

let us sit above the ground and tell sad stories

poop and pee in the same place, never forget

• Locked thread