Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah they are much more like how Arkham Asylum was, where you go through discrete levels and open up shortcuts and alt paths and stuff as you go. The games do have larger hub areas that have an open world vibe but it's not a true open world. That said the games do have a gazillion collectibles so not sure how that was missed. (I do like the collectibles because they offer a lot of tertiary info about the story and history of the areas you are traversing, they're not solely for the sake of collecting stuff to make number go up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Manor Lords is extremely good and engrossing and yet even though I know its a one man band I can't help but think that a lot of #PLACEHOLDER could have had a pass before the game pass release.

e: also Jedi Outcast very good, but open world it is not. It is a linear souls-esque game, albeit less punishing with the combat and with platforming. I thought it was very good gameplay wise, albeit with a plot that doesn't really grip like it should.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

kri kri posted:

Uncharted is not open world

I think it was in this thread where somene said Dead Space was open world because of the tram system :confused:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I didn't mean the literal (Playstation only, I guess some of them are on PC now, too) Uncharted games, I meant the Tomb Raider trilogy that wanted to be Uncharted.

They actually call it Survivor Trilogy. I can't wait to see what garbage plot the next "reboot" will have.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
on my lunchbreak today it struck me that Bethesda kinda own.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

they still make these?! I’m in

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Neco posted:

I think it was in this thread where somene said Dead Space was open world because of the tram system :confused:

It kinda is, in the sense that it’s a whole interconnected game world. But it’s not an “open world game” in the way that people usually use that term

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

None of the reboot Tomb Raider games have been "open world" by the conventional definition. They all tend to have 2-3 looser main hub areas that branch off into tombs, punctuated by linear platforming setpieces and story sections.

Ya the term open world gets thrown around way too loosely. Like the old Bioware games were not open world, they had hubs and segments of big open areas.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Scuba Trooper posted:

they still make these?! I’m in

Not only do they still make them but now you can pay $5 more per pair!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Simiain posted:

on my lunchbreak today it struck me that Bethesda kinda own.

are you posting this from the Bethesda cafeteria?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Phil should just close bethesda

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ya the term open world gets thrown around way too loosely. Like the old Bioware games were not open world, they had hubs and segments of big open areas.

Eh, we're kind of at the point where the term itself is becoming blurred. "Open World" used to mean "big wide open area that can be explored seamlessly" but what used to be referred to as open world can now be just one area in an even larger game world which otherwise fill all the niches of an 'open-world' game and at that point you start arguing how big an area has to be before it crosses over into open world.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I meant that this Tomb Raider game isn’t “open world” like a Skyrim or GTA kind of thing, where you can just pick a direction and explore. Each environment is pretty linear, though of course you can backtrack to find new stuff.

And yes there are collectibles, but imo “decipher a monument you’re running past to learn more about a civilisation” is a much less tedious type of collectible than “pick up 100 feathers to get a new hat”. I’m thinking specifically about the obnoxious Ubisoft style of “load the map with icons, some might be important but most of them aren’t”.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
They're good games op. I was really looking forward to see what the next one under CD would look like but it seems like it'll be awhile if ever. :smith:

My hope was after the character arc of the 3 reboot games, the next one might be a more "classic" interpretation (not sexed up or anything, but a little more snarky and self-assured, dual pistols maybe). It's been so long now that I imagine based on recent media trends, it's gonna be another reboot.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I thought that newer tomb raider movie with the same vibe of the recent trilogy was pretty fun. Better than the uncharted movie easily

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, we're kind of at the point where the term itself is becoming blurred. "Open World" used to mean "big wide open area that can be explored seamlessly" but what used to be referred to as open world can now be just one area in an even larger game world which otherwise fill all the niches of an 'open-world' game and at that point you start arguing how big an area has to be before it crosses over into open world.

Well there is that but I think everyone knows what a open world is. Games with big zones not seamlessly connected are not open world.

I actually think it's harder to make a good open world than linear/zone based game. It seems devs just get sucked into creating procedural content and often they cannot balance the game properly either and just scale everything.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ulio posted:

Well there is that but I think everyone knows what a open world is. Games with big zones not seamlessly connected are not open world.

I actually think it's harder to make a good open world than linear/zone based game. It seems devs just get sucked into creating procedural content and often they cannot balance the game properly either and just scale everything.

I think it’s a problem of scale. Morrowind is the best open world ever made and it’s a fraction the size of the modern versions of that game like ac odyssey or Witcher 3. I’ll always choose smaller hand made maps over ubi games every time

Rockstar does open world really well too, but that formula is stale

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The last Uncharted game’s addon sort of tried an open world thing (more like a hub „world“) and it was pretty great, also visually stunning. Great bookend after the so-so 4.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zwille posted:

The last Uncharted game’s addon sort of tried an open world thing (more like a hub „world“) and it was pretty great, also visually stunning. Great bookend after the so-so 4.

I loved Lost Legacy , way better than 4 imho

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

everyone as long as they agree with my definition
:goonsay:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
yeah I really liked Lost Legacy

e: oops quote is not edit

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

I think it’s a problem of scale. Morrowind is the best open world ever made and it’s a fraction the size of the modern versions of that game like ac odyssey or Witcher 3. I’ll always choose smaller hand made maps over ubi games every time

Ya definitely, this idea of having the biggest world map size and marketing tags like it takes 1 hour to cross the whole map in real time.
Usually those games are just designed with so much bloat. I like my Ubisoft fast food games but they are the perfect example of this design issue.

That's why in modern open world games I think Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima did a good job. Their worlds are not as big as Ubisoft games but there is more interesting mechanics/side stuff.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

Witcher 3 is also hand made map and you can notice that because it's filled with all kinds of items and missions you can miss on a playthrough. Ubi maps? yeah can pass for huge empty maps but Witcher 3 is an example of one of the best open worlds ever made.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ulio posted:

I genuinely don't think you can just define it that way, because then you're saying something like Assassin's Creed isn't an open world game because it has multiple different maps, and Assassin's Creed games are like the definition of open world games.

Like if you say "Witcher 3 is not an open world game" I don't think many people are going to agree with you. Same with Dying Light or Shadow of Mordor or so-on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 27, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ok after Coruscant Jedi survivor gets a lot better. I get that it’s to teach the basics but man I was seriously bored by navigating endless, strangely laid out shantytown or industrial zone paths with storm troopers just hanging out on random platforms.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah that's just the intro area. Game opens up a lot after that. Coruscant at least looks cool though imo

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Witcher 3 is also hand made map and you can notice that because it's filled with all kinds of items and missions you can miss on a playthrough. Ubi maps? yeah can pass for huge empty maps but Witcher 3 is an example of one of the best open worlds ever made.

Yeah Witcher 3 isn’t the best example. Point stands though, most open world games are too big and too empty

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Coruscant really isn't that long and each section of it is dropping mechanics on you.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm about 2 hours into The Quarry. Does it ever get any more interactive after a couple hours? So far it's been like a walking simulator. The short driving section at the beginning brought back flashbacks of Road Avenger on Sega CD.

Good actors, horror, etc. but I was getting bored due to the lack of interaction when I shut it off a couple nights ago and wondering if it's worth it to spend more time if it gets better.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I need to apologize in advance to most of my xbox controllers. I just got an Elite Series 2 today and I won't be using most of you any time soon.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't think you can just define it that way, because then you're saying something like Assassin's Creed isn't an open world game because it has multiple different maps, and Assassin's Creed games are like the definition of open world games.

Like if you say "Witcher 3 is not an open world game" I don't think many people are going to agree with you. Same with Dying Light or Shadow of Mordor or so-on.

Assassin Creed doesn't have different maps tho? There is no loading in between zones in AC games, that is the definition of open world. Dying Light is the same from the little I played from the first one unless you are confused with what I said.
Haven't played Witcher 3, only Witcher 1 but ya I wouldn't call that open world evne though it has large zones.

IIs Manor Lords relatively bug free?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Manor Lords is relatively bug free, although there's some wonkiness with how goods get distributed sometimes and it's very much a pre-release version of the game. Large chunks of the tech tree with 'placeholder' marks, only one map etc. It's good fun though and there's enough there for you to play a few games and work out if this is your jam and if you want to track development as it continues.

REe: open world I agree with Ulio. This is a bit philosophical, but I'd only put stuff in the 'open world game' category if the core gameplay loop happens on the open map. Being able to walk dynamically around a hub that links you to the linear segments where the game actually happens does not count.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
nevermind, misread

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'm about 2 hours into The Quarry. Does it ever get any more interactive after a couple hours? So far it's been like a walking simulator. The short driving section at the beginning brought back flashbacks of Road Avenger on Sega CD.

Good actors, horror, etc. but I was getting bored due to the lack of interaction when I shut it off a couple nights ago and wondering if it's worth it to spend more time if it gets better.

Maybe I should try The Quarry, could be something I might enjoy.

What kind of interactivity does it have? Is it comparable to the Dark Anthology series, if you are familiar with those?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

John F Bennett posted:

Maybe I should try The Quarry, could be something I might enjoy.

What kind of interactivity does it have? Is it comparable to the Dark Anthology series, if you are familiar with those?

Literally the same developer making the same kind of game. It even has the "narrator" who talks to you during interludes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh2K7SxRHmo

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Mierenneuker posted:

Literally the same developer making the same kind of game. It even has the "narrator" who talks to you during interludes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh2K7SxRHmo

Dang, sold!