Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!
Problem description: My machine no longer loads up after I tried to install some new RAM from 8GB to 16GB, I get 3 bleeps (1 long, 2 short) repeating . I bought my PC 3 years and 9 months ago, never had any major issues.

Attempted fixes: Earlier this week I discussed with a colleague and we checked the RAM on a compatibility site for the mobo, I think he said the make and Mhz were the most important factors. I want to use the old and new RAM for 16GB to help with my video editing. Purchased it over ebuyer.

Connected new RAM on Saturday morning, bleeping happened (1 long, 2 short = RAM issue).

Now the mobo is doing this regardless of it being connected in variations with the new RAM, only old RAM and no RAM at all. I've noticed the voltage is different (1.5v on new, 1.65v on old) but nothing appears damaged.

I've tried the following and powered on:

1. Removed the new RAM

2. Removed the old RAM (booting up with no RAM)

3. Air sprayed the slots

4. Removed my graphics card

5. Removed the mobo battery for 15 minutes to reset the CMOS

The three beeps keep going and I get no AV output at all, so I can't check the BIOS.

After some initial googling I tried:

6. Clear RTC RAM (Put jumper to slots 2-3 for 10 seconds while powered off, moved back to 1-2

7. Removed sound card (!)

8. Reseated RAM again, firmly pushing it in

9. Tried one stick of old RAM on its own

10. Removed heat sink over the GPU, checked it, seems fine, reseated it.

I'm not sure what else to try beyond:

1. Buy new, less powerful but compatible RAM and see what it's like.

2. Rebuild current system, part by part.

3. New mobo, rebuild system

The only explanation I can imagine is that I wasn't earthed enough so I've somehow damaged the RAM slots or motherboard, or the mobo is very sensitive (Perhaps due to overclocking from the original set up?).

A replacement mobo at £46 isn't the end of the world at least but I'm desperate to see if there's anything else I can try first.

Recent changes: Connected a 2nd SSD that I've been trying to get working (Won't get detected at all) but I disconnected it before I started with the new RAM.

--

Operating system: Windows 7, 64-bit

System specs:

Here's my relevant specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)

New RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Kingston Specific Memory 4GB DDR3 1600MHz 240-pin DIMM Memory

Full spec from when I bought it (Only change is an SSD I put in and then rebuilt the OS).

[quote]*BASE_PRICE: [+424]
BLUETOOTH: None
CAPTURECARD: None
CAS: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case [+15] (Black Colour)
CASUPGRADE: 12in Meter Light - 8 speed [+10] (Red Colour)
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK Colour)
CD2: NONE
COOL: NONE
CPU: AMD FX-4350 4.20 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L3 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
CS_FAN: Default Case Fan
DONGLES: NONE
EXPAN: NONE
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator (AMD) (Asetek CPU Water Cooling (AMD) ***Overclockable XXX***)
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_OS: None
FREEBIE_VC1: Free Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Game Coupon [+0]
GLASS3D: NONE
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
HDD2: NONE
HOMEINSTALL: NONE
IEEE_CARD: NONE
INSURANCE: NONE
KEYBOARD: NONE
MEMORY: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)
MONITOR: NONE
MONITOR2: NONE
MONITOR3: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (780L) Chipset, Micro-ATX mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-II, 1 PCIe X16, 1 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI
MOUSE: NONE
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/1000 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 Home Premium [+74] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 500 Watts Power Supplies (CoolerMaster Elite 500watt Gaming Power Supply)
RUSH: NONE
SERVERUNIT: NONE
SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE [+18]
SPEAKERS: NONE
TABLET: None
TEMP: NONE
TVRC: NONE
UPS: None
USB1: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports [+0]
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics
WARRANTY: DESKTOP STANDARD WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 2 Year Parts, 1 Month Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support
WNC: NONE
XWNA: NONE[/quote

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Some other people have had vaguely familiar issues with the same mobo. From my first wave of googling:

--

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/solved-no-post-asus-m5a78l-m-usb3-989425.html

'It seems that the problem lay in the fact that the memory which was installed had a too high clock speed.'

' It should work with 1600MHz, but that's only if the board is running the latest BIOS and it is configured correctly. In theory, it should at least boot to the BIOS.

In your case however, you might want to go with the 1333MHz to avoid any issues. '
--
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/462993/built-a-computer-for-a-friend-no-video-no-beep-but-has-power/

'1. Clear CMOS. Turn off the computer. Turn the switch on the back of the power supply to OFF. On the lower right corner of the motherboard is a jumper marked "CLRTC", move the jumper from positions 1 and 2 to 2 and 3. Wait about 10 seconds, and move the jumper back to positions 1 and 2. Power on the computer.

2. Try to plugging a system speaker to the 4-pin speaker connector (lower right corner) and monitor if any beeps that occur when you turn on the computer.

1 short beep = keyboard issue
1 long beep and 2 short beeps = memory issue
1 long beep and 3 short beeps = VGA issue
1 long beep and 4 short beeps = hardware component issue

3. Try reseating the CPU, memory, and video card.

4. Please make sure to check the power connections, specifically the 24-pin and 8-pin/4-pin. Have you tried using another power supply?'

'reset cmos and still didn't work, took whole computer apart and put it back together. works now'

--
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/316551-new-build-wont-start/

'If I remove the CPU and boot up there's no beeping'

--
Reseat the GPU

Manual:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...4200.1497099165

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/67404/
Long forum thread, shows what people have tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!
I've tried everything I physically can with it, still getting the beeps. Going with a replacement motherboard, will swap components to it and see what that's like.

• Locked thread