Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Problem description:

I just received an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC edition to replace the GeForce GTX 745 that came with the computer. Tried to install it today, and after installing drivers, I ended up getting a bunch of artifacting followed by a system crash. Sometimes it would switch back to normally displaying for a few seconds, but would always eventually crash. Here's what it looked like:

https://youtu.be/KsgnDrj9K_Y

Attempted fixes:

Removed and re-seated card; removed card entirely and used onboard graphics to get into Windows and uninstalled all
GeForce drivers. Replaced card (which displayed fine using basic Windows display driver). When it came time to reinstall drivers, artifacting and crashing returned. Rolled back drivers to the version recommended on the manufacturer website. No amount of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers of different versions would work.

Recent changes:

Removed a dead second HDD that was just taking up space

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs: Acer Aspire ATC-705-EB55
Intel Core i5-4460
16GB ddr3
2TB HDD
300W PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm guessing that the card is just defective, but I'm worried that I hosed something up, or that the 300w PSU just won't cut it, even though the 1050 Ti is supposed to work with only a 300w PSU. Would artifacting and total system crashing (ie, computer just resetting itself) be caused by a defective card, or is there something super obvious that I'm loving up? I don't want to get a replacement and have the same thing happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Could be a couple things, but how old is the PSU and what make/model? As PSU's get older they will not output their rated amount of power and depending on your brand you could have bought a lovely one that will not last as long and output less/unstable power.

You could try buying a power supply from microcenter or wherever, swapping it in and seeing if that resolves the problem, if not, return the supply and RMA the card.

I would lean towards the supply right now, but you could also try to RMA the card first.

• Locked thread