Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Strobe posted:

I think it's really telling that you just get performatively mad about an unprovable hypothetical person that agrees with you instead of actually defending that what you're doing isn't deliberately inconsiderate.

Almost as if that's correct.

EDIT: this thread sucks and you're most of the reason for that.

This post doesn't even make sense.

I also think this thread got a lot better since you, Corrode, and Booley weren't here insulting everyone who disagrees with your personal opinions. In fact this is probably the first argument and instance of someone insulting someone else that's happened in months. It's not a coincidence that it's because you and Booley are posting in the thread again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't care.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

People said someone could use their images to create a new image, a banner containing parts of several images. The owner of that new piece of work has then given permission to Jack to re-use those banners. If the old photographs were just used then you'd have a point, but they are not, they are part of a new creation, created using elements which the creator was given permission to use.

Ultimately I'm not making the OP so it's not up to me, but there's no problem with using the old banners in a new OP. Maybe a court could rule this wasn't transformative enough to give it an exemption under copyright law, but there's no way of you or I knowing that for sure (I obviously think it is transformative) and I doubt anyone is going to sue.

1) There are my photos in the OP that I'd rather not have used again because lowtax sucks.

2) As a professional photographer, I do in fact have somewhat more understanding of copyright, licensing and transformative works than the average person, and slapping a few images together is absolutely not a unique work and would not be considered fair use, nor can someone re-license sobe thing without permission.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Look, guys. I already have at least a few people who don't want their stuff being used. I'm not gonna use their stuff, and instead we're gonna make new banners, both for consideration and to get new stuff in the banners. If people want us to continue using their stuff, they can post it again. I'm not going to change my mind on this, so can we just drop it and focus on getting the post in shape?

Speaking of, I'm gonna go ahead without the pictures for the moment. I just want some quotes for the Custodes and Sisters of Silence, and I'll go ahead and post with that. Then we can start the first few pages with people posting their cool stuff to get the banners made.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
If you don't want to have your photos used in the new OP dude that's fine, you can ask for them not to be used. I don't agree with your assessment of permissions and I don't think we need to wring our hands about it and take down photos others were pleased to have shown to other goons because the guy owning the website is a price of poo poo and maybe hypothetically they don't want the photo to be used, but not enough to say so, and a image banner may not qualify as a transformative work under copyright law.

I'm not going to say any more on the matter though because it's not my OP and as I've already said I think Jack should do whatever he wants because he's not going to please everyone and he's the one putting the effort in.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kitchner posted:

This post doesn't even make sense.

I also think this thread got a lot better since you, Corrode, and Booley weren't here insulting everyone who disagrees with your personal opinions. In fact this is probably the first argument and instance of someone insulting someone else that's happened in months. It's not a coincidence that it's because you and Booley are posting in the thread again.

You're right it's not a coincidence, you're still here.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

JackMann posted:

Look, guys. I already have at least a few people who don't want their stuff being used. I'm not gonna use their stuff, and instead we're gonna make new banners, both for consideration and to get new stuff in the banners. If people want us to continue using their stuff, they can post it again. I'm not going to change my mind on this, so can we just drop it and focus on getting the post in shape?

Speaking of, I'm gonna go ahead without the pictures for the moment. I just want some quotes for the Custodes and Sisters of Silence, and I'll go ahead and post with that. Then we can start the first few pages with people posting their cool stuff to get the banners made.

I honestly think you're just over thinking it a bit, I think what you've done so far is fine and you can always go back and edit it. I reckon just post it and you can ask people to post images for the banners and pick whatever based on whatever criteria you want as it's your post.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The thread is dead! Long live the thread!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Strobe posted:

You're right it's not a coincidence, you're still here.

You've got a long grudge-list, friend. If it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.

Lets hope the new thread can leave behind the vendetta posting. It is toxic and makes it suck to read otherwise good content.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Contrast over big flat panels is iffy, but good enough to move on to the next thing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Kitchner posted:

The fact you're both getting so het up about other people's photos, people I'd bet you've not even spoken to as a weird hypothetical situation where there are people who desperately don't want us to use a picture of their model in a new OP but aren't going to post here to say so (or to ask for it to be removed from the current banner) is pretty funny.

I mean I know I said it so automatically you're going to say the opposite and then come up with some bullshit insults again, but really try a bit harder.

People gave permission for those photos to be used because they presumably liked other people here (as in users here in this thread, not the piece of poo poo who owns the site) to see photos of their work and be in the OP. The fact I think we don't need to remove them just because of some weird hypothetical you've come up with isn't inconsiderate, I want to continue showing off their work unless there's an active poster with a photo instead.

This is hilarious

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Booley posted:

1) There are my photos in the OP that I'd rather not have used again because lowtax sucks.

2) As a professional photographer, I do in fact have somewhat more understanding of copyright, licensing and transformative works than the average person, and slapping a few images together is absolutely not a unique work and would not be considered fair use, nor can someone re-license sobe thing without permission.

ur petty as gently caress lmao

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
can't monetize on SA, so no sharing copyright goonhammer images/links for OPs on dead internet forums where their community started

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Here’s some photos I own that can be used in banners:

The photographer did kind of a lovely job with the interior so I took my own, you can use those too:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BULBASAUR posted:

can't monetize on SA, so no sharing copyright goonhammer images/links for OPs on dead internet forums where their community started

don't want to damage The Brand

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Booley posted:

Lol if only you were good at playing the game.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

BULBASAUR posted:

For what it's worth, Chirurgeon, the person who creates the goonhammer art, gave his blessing to use his stuff from the opening post. It's only the pictures of individual people's models that I've been asked not to use. And those in question were not asking as representatives of Goonhammer, but as individuals. Whether or not you agree with their decision, it has nothing to do with monetization. It's not like having their old stuff here would be taking any money away from Goonhammer.

Anyway, I've asked the mods to close this thread, so let's get pictures of plastic space barbies up on the new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Per request, closing this thread. If anyone objects please PM me.

Here's the new thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940314