Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Hello. I have been calling my ISP (AT&T :( ) a few days ago and they are going to be sending a tech guy for the umpteenth time to "Check out my line". Can I show this to the guy so he can accurately determine where my problem is coming from? A few weeks ago things were fairly good as I could do all of my work online with no worries. Even games. Then a few days ago nothing in my online classes would work and it's driving me up the wall.

quote:

C:\Users\HOPPER>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [216.58.216.14]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms dslrouter.attlocal.net [192.168.1.254]
2 105 ms * * 184.47.188.1
3 * * 81 ms 70.159.178.96
4 112 ms * 78 ms 70.159.178.33
5 105 ms 113 ms 133 ms gar7.attga.ip.att.net [12.122.85.149]
6 * 101 ms 105 ms 12.122.141.161
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 98 ms 91 ms 85 ms 108.170.249.163
9 * 139 ms 137 ms 72.14.233.145
10 * 131 ms 155 ms 209.85.243.160
11 180 ms 197 ms * 209.85.143.1
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 217 ms * * 108.170.247.161
14 172 ms * * 108.170.237.185
15 106 ms 81 ms 79 ms lax02s21-in-f14.1e100.net [216.58.216.14]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\HOPPER>

Also I wish I could get a better ISP but living in the woods however, this is all I can get. 3MBS Down and 1MBS up for 45 bucks a month. Data cap included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Katamari Democracy posted:

Hello. I have been calling my ISP (AT&T :( ) a few days ago and they are going to be sending a tech guy for the umpteenth time to "Check out my line". Can I show this to the guy so he can accurately determine where my problem is coming from? A few weeks ago things were fairly good as I could do all of my work online with no worries. Even games. Then a few days ago nothing in my online classes would work and it's driving me up the wall.

Also I wish I could get a better ISP but living in the woods however, this is all I can get. 3MBS Down and 1MBS up for 45 bucks a month. Data cap included.

Unfortunately, that traceroute only indicates that the problem is somewhere between hops 1 and 2.
1 is your router and 2 is probably your ISP's DSLAM. If your ISP has even half a clue, the statistics of your line on the DSLAM are telling them much the same thing as your traceroute results.
That's probably why they are willing to send a tech to you: they already see that your line definitely has a problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line_access_multiplexer

If there's about three miles of wire between your router and the DSLAM, then 3 Mbit/s would be about the best the ADSL2+ technology can do. But your trace looks like your connection is somehow unstable: that should not happen unless there is a problem on the line.

Is your line only for DSL, or do you have a plain old landline telephone using the same line?
If you have a landline, pick up the handset and listen: is the dialtone about as loud as usual, or is the volume too low? Is there any hissing or crackling in the background? (If the tech is an old-school telephone lineman, he might be a bit out of his depth with all the new-fangled DSL stuff. If the problem is detectable on the telephone, describing those symptoms might get the tech thinking about the problem the right way.)

Here are some things you can check at your end, although I guess you may have already done those:
https://mrtelco.com/blog/top-5-common-phone-line-faults-affecting-landline-adsl

As your line is probably pretty long, you'll want to minimize the number of splices and other connectors between the router and the line entering the house.

Your router might be able to show you some line statistics, similar to this: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

In particular, the signal/noise ratio and the line/signal attenuation would be the most important statistics: if the attenuation is high, your router will be sending the digital equivalent of "can't hear you, speak up!" to the DSLAM (and/or vice versa) every now and then. And if the other end is already sending at full power, it cannot compensate for the attenuation by increasing the power.

If the SNR is low, there is a lot of background noise on the line, interfering with the data transfer.

If your line is on telephone poles (i.e. not underground), you should make sure there are no tree branches rubbing on the wire/cable.

If the line is underground, you'll need a tech with TDR equipment to locate any faults on the line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-domain_reflectometry

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Hey thanks for the reply! I had a guy from AT&T come out and inspect everything on my end inside the house and he was just as clueless as I was. I even shown him the statistics and he thought this was "Normal"

As for the line, we dont have any phones on inside the house (No need) so the modem is directly connected to the box outside of my home.

When the guy came out it was one of my "Good days", very low ping, stable connections and everything else. I also shared with him screenshots from my end on my bad days and even recordings on my desktop that shows him I have this problem a lot.

He then basically tried to get me better service, and noticed my neighbors could get it. But not this house. The only comforting thing he told me was that I honestly had to get a little rude with AT&T to get them to upgrade the lines or else we would switch to a new company. Sadly, that option would be a bluff on my end, because my only alternative is Satellite internet with a 200GB data cap at 100 dollars a month.

Anyways, I am possibly going to have to be rude to them even though I do not want to. Is there anything else you would like for me to take a screenshot of?

• Locked thread