Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Wait... we have to meet Airdramon to evolve to Airdramon? Why... why is this tearing at dark parts of my mind that I believe I've locked away to save my sanity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

Onmi posted:

Wait... we have to meet Airdramon to evolve to Airdramon? Why... why is this tearing at dark parts of my mind that I believe I've locked away to save my sanity?

Oh trust me, I've played this game's story a long time ago and there's more requirements like that in the game and some of them are much worse.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
At least Airdramon is a random encounter later.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

you have to meet the dot*mons before you can evolve them too, like lucky they give you the codes i guess!

the digimon games love their baffling digivolve requirements, cyber sleuth is actually a weird exception since most of the requirements are straightforward

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Update 06 is the last one I have in backlog, so if anyone has requests for the team, now may be the time to bring them up.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I request that all your team members are diffferent types.

That's all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bring back Monodramon you monster.

Justimon is a neccesary Digimon in any and every circumstance.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Update 06 is the last one I have in backlog, so if anyone has requests for the team, now may be the time to bring them up.

my fav digimon is gatomon but she might not be as useful in this game as cyber sleuth, i can't remember

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Onmi posted:

It's a dumb gating mechanic to keep you from getting certain Digimon too soon.

It's even worse when you want to de-evolve something to raise it's level cap but you can't because you haven't met it's lower form yet. :argh:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dexie posted:

It's a dumb gating mechanic to keep you from getting certain Digimon too soon.

It's even worse when you want to de-evolve something to raise it's level cap but you can't because you haven't met it's lower form yet. :argh:

God I hate that backwards bullshit in this game. "What? You wanna de-digivolve to a baby digimon you haven't met yet? gently caress YOU, GO MEET IT FIRST AND THEN WE'LL TALK."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Revenge of Digimon World 3's Circuit Board. :stonk:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Revenge of Digimon World 3's Circuit Board. :stonk:
I honestly love the Circuit Board zones just for the change in battle music.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The amount of times you run into Digivolution walls in this game is insane. I remember 1 Digimon I made (I forget the spoiler policy) required two separate DNA Digivolutions of Mega level Digimon. Like you had to DNA two megas, then grab two OTHER Digimon, level those fuckers to Mega, and then DNA THOSE guys into the one I wanted. All because of that meet/befriend mechanic. The worst.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

I honestly love the Circuit Board zones just for the change in battle music.

Please tell that to GeneralYeti. I want to see the reactions.

SonicRulez posted:

The amount of times you run into Digivolution walls in this game is insane. I remember 1 Digimon I made (I forget the spoiler policy) required two separate DNA Digivolutions of Mega level Digimon. Like you had to DNA two megas, then grab two OTHER Digimon, level those fuckers to Mega, and then DNA THOSE guys into the one I wanted. All because of that meet/befriend mechanic. The worst.

I can think of who you're talking about. Not because of this game, but because he's (they're?) really that stupidly complex to make in both the grand Digimon canon and in his (their?) one anime appearance.

Of course, there could be more Digimon with dumb requirements like that, but there's one that's best known for that and I would not be surprised if this game fully respected that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

If you're talking about Imperialdramon Paladin Mode, I'm not going anywhere near that fucker.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Please tell that to GeneralYeti. I want to see the reactions.

While yes, I did flinch at that statement at first, on second glance I'm pretty sure he's talking about the DW: Dawn Circuit Board.

Since, y'know, DW3 only has two battle music tracks and one's for bosses only :argh:

edit: also you're not walking 50% slower in these circuit boards so I guess they're okay

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

They also don't randomly meander, they aren't your form of fast travel, and they don't last twenty screens each. They're basically just a change of scenery for the area they're in.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

PMush Perfect posted:

If you're talking about Imperialdramon Paladin Mode, I'm not going anywhere near that fucker.

I forgot how many completely stupid requirement Digimon there actually are. I was talking about ShineGreymon Burst Mode. You gotta make Ruin Mode first.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I appear to have somehow managed to lose the file for my next update. Gonna have to figure out what to do with that, since I've got further progress on the save than I've got updates. (Should just be able to pull together the images and rewrite, but we'll see.)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You could just slap on encounter modifier codes, hold Fast Forward, and get back to wherever you need to be within an hour. It's what I did.

My update is coming eventually! Someday! Look, Super Robot Wars V and other things take up a lot of time...

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 10, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kurui Reiten posted:

You could just slap on encounter modifier codes, hold Fast Forward, and get back to wherever you need to be within an hour. It's what I did.

My update is coming eventually! Someday! Look, Super Robot Wars V and other things take up a lot of time...

I haven't played SRWV yet (though it's definitely on my list of games I need to buy, it's one of the reasons I got my PS4 to begin with) but it has to be better than this game.

Both have roughly the same amount of mecha but one at least has less grinding.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Only one Species quest left.

Betamon (which should probably be Bettamon, but :effort:) needs us to go to the Sunken Tunnel and find the Water Pillow it left behind, it can't sleep without it since the catastrophe. See, this is the kind of thing I expected us to be doing as a newbie Tamer. In between commiting minor felonies and trying to save the world, we're actually doing some small acts of Digi-Kindness. :3:

Sunken Tunnel isn't unlocked until you accept this quest. Inside is entirely restricted to Machine and Fish Digimon, which makes it very useful for the right kind of Species EXP grinding. Unfortunately, we don't need either of those types right now.

The battles actually have a new musical track, the Advanced Battle theme. A bit strange, considering nothing in here is more threatening than some more Betamon, and my first several battles were against Kapurimon, an In-Training. Another Circuit Board this is not.

The only item lying around is an AntiPoisonS.

Our objective is being held by Gizamon, who is... also a Rookie.

We get the ??? scan, but it doesn't even play the Advanced Battle music. It's a preview of one enemy whom we'll be having random battles against next time we come back here, so I don't know what the bother was.

It only managed to get a third turn because April missed twice.

Gizamon gives us the Water Pillow back after we tell it that we're here on behalf of its previous owner.

I don't really mind that quest, it's easy and I like the Sunken Tunnel music, but I wish they'd done more with it. This whole quest took less than 10 minutes, and from entry to this sentence was less than 300 words.

Our rewards are 95 Tamer Points (:toot:), 3685 bits (:toot:), and a Speed Ring Alpha (:toot::toot::toot:, replaces Mikey's Bronze Plate). We've now completed the last of the Species quests, which means it's time for...

More story! Our mission is to explore Limit Valley.

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2865147/183-[sic].png[/IMG]

A new area has appeared in the Digital World. Gaoh and Lyla have already been sent to explore it and find out if it's safe, but Glare wants us to go as well. Ophanimon doesn't seem to think this is a good idea (she does the "..." emote at him), but doesn't say anything against it.

Time to keep being competent.

Holy, Dragon, Beast, Bird, and Plant/Insect Digimon all make their homes here. Agumon, Biyomon, and Renamon are all common sights here. That variety makes it rather difficult to train in anything specific, but it's still got some decent opponents for this stage of the game.

Including or first non-boss Champion, Seasarmon. In addition to being able to put out decent three-zone damage, they scan at half the rate of Rookies, making it a bit of a pain to grind for one. It's not really worth it, being a dead-end aside from some DNA options, though its Rookie Tapirmon eventually has another evolution path that ends with Jijimon.

More items are found, the best of which being a single Digiar150T...

And a Broad Shield, a hefty piece of Holy armor that requires the wielder be level 20. It would be pretty nice for Leo if we used armor, but we don't, so I'll be selling it at the first opportunity.

In the same screen as the shield, we run into our first multi-Champion battles. SandYanmamon and NiseDrimogemon are actually somewhat threatening, and can catch you off-guard if you were only expecting the push-over Rookies from the previous screens.

They also offer significantly more EXP, which is finally enough to push Mikey and Raph to Level 18.

Gatomon steals HolyKnuckle from Angemon, a beefy single-target Holy attack, and her traits increase Holy resistance and, more importantly, EXP gain.

Greymon gets Fiery Breath, a slightly-less damaging but two-zone Fire tech, and a very nice increase in Attack and critical chance for its traits.

One more level and a bit of Beast EXP later, and Leo is ready to join the Champion party as Firamon. He's very similar to Greymon, just with a blatantly better version of his special technique, and Fire resistance instead of increased crit rate.

Pay no attention to the significantly higher level, I missed the screenshot and had to go back for it because I am an idiot.

All three are Balance type, with no especially noticeable strengths or weaknesses. This is the most boring type, but at least it lets you push them one way or another with equipment.

Speaking of which, because the Digivolution resets their level to 0, all of their equipment fell off. This actually makes them somewhat weaker statistically than when they were Rookies, but the first few levels come quick, and it's just a few seconds of walking in circles before they're ready to take on THE BOSS.

Oh, by the way, did I mention there's a boss here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al-Z5ZqBcFs

All major bosses will have a video of the fight, but it will also be covered in screenshots if you can't/don't want to watch it.

It's ??? again, and this time, it's got an actual name and is talking in complete sentences!

It summons a Seasarmon to try and defeat us. You know, the ones we've been fighting multiples of this entire zone.

I didn't even bother taking screenshots.

This time, it's three SandYanmamon, which is definitely more of a respectable miniboss fight.

But wait, could it be...?

It is! Gaoh and Lyla are here, fighting to hold off the SandYanmamon while we fight the boss! Some of the NPCs are actually being competent! :woop:

MysticEnergy is much less amused. Or should I say, Grimmon? You know somebody's important when they're exclusive to the game.

Giant body, big-rear end health bar, special music... it's finally a real boss! :toot: Grimmon has somewhere around 2000 HP, two attacks, and an ability called AT Change that changes its weakness and resistance without telling you what it's to. It's beefy, and deals a decent amount of damage, with a chance to stun and make the target lose their turn.

Unfortunately for Grimmon, and most of the bosses in this game, it also takes up multiple spaces, which means multi-zone moves apply their damage and effects for each zone they hit. Flame Dive lowers Fire Resistance. Both Flame Dive and Flame Breath hit two zones.

We do some math.

According to Grimmon's parting words, we will 'perish by the hands of our own'. It then teleports out, with the same animation as being defeated, because that's enough effort for one scene.

The rest of the conversation is just everyone failing to completely grasp the plot of "mind-control villain is going to control your minds and make you fight each other". Glare included, unfortunately. :(

We do at least get rewarded in the form of some praise, and, more importantly, actual rewards. 110 Tamer Points, 7180 bits, and the Digi-Egg of Love. Digi-Eggs are key items that give you access to special mediocre Champions. :confuoot:

I mean, at least the money's nice.

Next Digi-Update: WAR Extreme!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 17, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I actually kinda like Grimmon's design here. Giant flying snake creature with a blaster in one hand and a scythe-like weapon in the other. And it certainly looks like it can grow in strength, seems like a respectable monster to eventually brutally slaughter the entirety of the digital world. And not just because everybody is a cavalcade of fuckups with no ability to see past the simple idea of "Big boss monster gonna mind control your friends and make you fight them."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Grimmon looks very good. That boss mechanic of taking up multiple spaces is pretty much a death sentence on all bosses that do that though. It's weird that they do it too since they immediately compensate by giving most bosses a billion HP.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No update today because I'm a lazy PoS who spent the last week getting lost in nostalgia and replaying Diablo 2 again instead. Should be out tomorrow or Tuesday.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

PMush Perfect posted:

No update today because I'm a lazy PoS who spent the last week getting lost in nostalgia and replaying Diablo 2 again instead. Should be out tomorrow or Tuesday.

So. Even you can succumb to "Being Lazy". Ah who cares. Have fun with the dungeon crawling, I decided to give Mass Erect Effect a rest and went to the complete other end of the spectrum with good old Tales of Symphonia on PS3...I'm going to die trying to Platinum it aren't I? :shepicide:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kemix posted:

So. Even you can succumb to "Being Lazy". Ah who cares. Have fun with the dungeon crawling, I decided to give Mass Erect Effect a rest and went to the complete other end of the spectrum with good old Tales of Symphonia on PS3...I'm going to die trying to Platinum it aren't I? :shepicide:
Probably!

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I love this game.

And digimon dusk too.

And digimon world ds and digimon story cyber sleuth.

I know it's a grind-y game but I really like it. I dunno, it's fun to raise and evolve your digimon.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh boy, Digimon Dawn/Dusk.

I wasted so much time on this game back in the day. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I haven't forgotten about this LP, I've just been getting my rear end kicked by depression recently. Started Zoloft, it screwed with me, so now I'm stopping Zoloft, and neither has been good for keeping my mood and work-ethic consistent.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

PMush Perfect posted:

I haven't forgotten about this LP, I've just been getting my rear end kicked by depression recently. Started Zoloft, it screwed with me, so now I'm stopping Zoloft, and neither has been good for keeping my mood and work-ethic consistent.

Have you tried Duloxetine? It's what I use myself, which is a generic for Cymbalta.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Not yet. Gonna try to readjust to what I've got for a month before I try something new

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

It's fine. That's a lot more important, so try to get better before even thinking of this LP.

Besides, I can't imagine a Digimon game won't make that depression worse anyways :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The LP curse strikes :ohdear:

Seriously though, taking care of yourself is more important than an LP! Just need to remember to keep it out of archives, which I think happens after 2 months of inactivity.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

PMush Perfect posted:

*grabs u by the shoulders and shakes*

MY NIGGA HAVE U TRIED LSD

do not try LSD

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Things are starting to even out. No promises yet, but I haven't given up on this.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'm still waiting patiently!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Seriously don't do LSD this elf won't stop chasing me and I have been clean for weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Call this another "not abandoned, just irresponsible" bump.

• Locked thread