Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/diamond_dog_food.html Is our premier link today, though don't worry, a quick google brings up plenty more.

Though some people aren't having any trouble at all, there's been a recent spike in Diamond brand pet foods causing some illness in pets. These are the pet foods that may be affected by all this:

Diamond Pet Food (numerous plants)
4Health
Apex
Canidae* (may or may not be sharing facilities with Diamond anymore)
Chicken Soup
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Kirkland
Natural Balance dry
Nature’s Domain
Premium Edge
Professional
Solid Gold
Taste of the Wild

So if you're feeding these, keep an eye on your pets. If you see barfing, lethargy, diarrhea, seizures, increased liver enzymes in blood tests or kidney issues- consider switching to another food for a bit. Diamond is screaming nothing is wrong, but the last time they hosed the pooch real hard they did the same thing. We're not sure if this is a single plant having issues or if it's more widespread, but it doesn't really matter. I'll update the OP if there's a recall or more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's a disappointment. I just switched my cat over to Taste of the Wild, and I noticed his poops have been much worse than before. I don't think it's specifically due to contamination, but his guts might just not agree with the high protein/high fat content of Taste of the Wild. If I can't find one he doesn't bomb my apartment with, he's going back on Science Diet. :sigh:

What alternatives are good? Is BB still a good option? I think I heard they went down in quality at some point.

Edit: Are there any cat-specific symptoms I should be looking out for?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 21, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got a puppy named Clementine (12 weeks) and the breeder recommended ToTW. During the transition from her old kibble to ToTW, she started getting worse and worse diarrhea and now she pretty much only has mushy, runny poops sometimes even in her crate. We switched from ToTW wild boar to ToTW salmon and she had the same problems. We talked to the vet and she recommended giving her GI food with an anti-diarrheal tablet and a full week of antibiotics because the diarrhea likely caused some overgrowth in her tummy.

gently caress this poo poo for real. My puppy has been with me 2 weeks and she has to deal with antibiotics and diarrhea because of this bullshit rear end in a top hat food company? Despicable.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Apparently the dog food has higher incidences of sickness than the cat food. Or maybe the cat food is just less commonly used.

How do I know whether my cat is being affected by this tainted food? He hasn't vomited, though his stool has been pretty loose. I can't tell if it's normal adjustment, a diet thing, or actual sickness.

Gonna have to do a sweep of cat piles when I get home...this is making me paranoid.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 21, 2017

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently the dog food has higher incidences of sickness than the cat food. Or maybe the cat food is just less commonly used.

How do I know whether my cat is being affected by this tainted food? He hasn't vomited, though his stool has been pretty loose. I can't tell if it's normal adjustment, a diet thing, or actual sickness.

Gonna have to do a sweep of cat piles when I get home...this is making me paranoid.

I'd definitely say it's more the dog food than the cat food at this point, but there's been a few rumblings about the cat food as well. I'd just watch and wait.

jokes posted:

I got a puppy named Clementine (12 weeks) and the breeder recommended ToTW. During the transition from her old kibble to ToTW, she started getting worse and worse diarrhea and now she pretty much only has mushy, runny poops sometimes even in her crate. We switched from ToTW wild boar to ToTW salmon and she had the same problems. We talked to the vet and she recommended giving her GI food with an anti-diarrheal tablet and a full week of antibiotics because the diarrhea likely caused some overgrowth in her tummy.

gently caress this poo poo for real. My puppy has been with me 2 weeks and she has to deal with antibiotics and diarrhea because of this bullshit rear end in a top hat food company? Despicable.

:( I'm sorry dude.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Add me - tentatively - to the cat food rumblings. I was linked over here from the main nutrition thread and one of my cats has been experiencing similar symptoms to what the OP describes. Going to see what the vet says.

Soaring Kestrel fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 4, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So far, my cat hadn't had a bad reaction to the Taste of the Wild Venison+Salmon food (that I can see), so my bag is probably okay. Don't think I wanna get another bag of it when it runs out, though.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
I cant get over how many brands that is, god drat.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
We use Indigo Moon, which is under the Solid Gold dry brand for our cats... do I need to worry?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Well, son of a bitch. We get a puppy today and I was going to go Kirkland. I even had a long chat over why IAMS is the devil and why Kirkland might be a better alternative with the girlfriend.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Disco Salmon posted:

We use Indigo Moon, which is under the Solid Gold dry brand for our cats... do I need to worry?

Fwiw my cats were on indigo Moon when they got sick, switched them to something else and they are doing fine now.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
dog dead, so what

Warm Fish Salad
Dec 16, 2016

You Compleat Me
For people asking about a good dog/cat food, I recommend Nulo. I've been using it for about three years now and my dog has never had any issues, and he has sensitive skin and a sensitive digestive system. The brand has never been recalled to my knowledge, and it is USA made and responsibly sourced, mostly from the USA/New Zealand/I think Australia? Can't remember. All of their formulas are grain free, white potato and tapioca free, low glycemic index, and have a patented probiotic that helps digestion. It's price per pound is similar to Blue Buffalo Wilderness, just without all the diarrhea!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone heard any updates about Taste of the Wild, specifically for cat food? Wondering if it's passed and whether we know what batches were bad now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pussy Doodles! posted:

For people asking about a good dog/cat food, I recommend Nulo. I've been using it for about three years now and my dog has never had any issues, and he has sensitive skin and a sensitive digestive system. The brand has never been recalled to my knowledge, and it is USA made and responsibly sourced, mostly from the USA/New Zealand/I think Australia? Can't remember. All of their formulas are grain free, white potato and tapioca free, low glycemic index, and have a patented probiotic that helps digestion. It's price per pound is similar to Blue Buffalo Wilderness, just without all the diarrhea!

Thanks, just ordered a 12lb of Nulo. Let's see how this works out!

For future reference, in case this happens again, how do you tell whether the food is what's making your pet sick? Are there any clues to look out for that would point towards the food being the problem?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Thanks, just ordered a 12lb of Nulo. Let's see how this works out!

For future reference, in case this happens again, how do you tell whether the food is what's making your pet sick? Are there any clues to look out for that would point towards the food being the problem?

I generally suggest trying a quick meal of bland food like plain old chicken breast and rice (cooked). If the dog's fine on that but gets barfy or diarrhea-y on their old food, gently caress that old poo poo.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Flying Leatherman posted:

Fwiw my cats were on indigo Moon when they got sick, switched them to something else and they are doing fine now.

Well, its been a few weeks, and no issues with my crew of 5 regarding the Indigo Moon Solid gold dry cat food....nothing any different than normal. Whew!

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Oh great I came into this thread because my dog has been eating Kirkland turkey and pea stew cans for years and just found it discontinued when I went to get more. Now I see his kibble Taste of the Wild on the list too. Looks like I got some research to do for new foods.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

My dog eats the Kirkland Salmon dry food because he is sensitive to animal protein so I looked into the Nulo Salmon variety and saw that it's full of turkey and chicken. Does anyone have any recommendations for dry food without poultry/other livestock ingredients?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nemico posted:

My dog eats the Kirkland Salmon dry food because he is sensitive to animal protein so I looked into the Nulo Salmon variety and saw that it's full of turkey and chicken. Does anyone have any recommendations for dry food without poultry/other livestock ingredients?

earthborn fish

• Locked thread