Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Europa replacement DD update:
have been trying like mad to get ahold of this guy: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/1990-porsche-944-s2-ls1/6294444305.html
But he's replied to me twice out of numerous times to schedule a visit.
Made me miss out on Imperador's BMW.
Still my top choice, I think. He upped the price from 14k for unknown reasons, but if it's well done, can't make a LS 944 for that kind of money.

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/d/2001-porsche-carrera/6311735052.html
Not that special, but good price, and I wouldn't worry about keeping it in the outdoor parking spot or getting tagged in a parking lot.

e: a little more context on the garage situation --
I'm in Cambridge, MA, and I want to stay somewhere in the area. There's several suburbs within maybe 7-8mi of where I work (and presumably other future places I'd work). That is my convenient bike-commute radius for looking for a place. For semi-irrational reasons, I wanted a place close to the subway, which I wouldn't use to get to work, but would be a really strong feature for holding up the place's value in the long run. Most places that fit these criteria didn't have a garage -- maybe <10% of condos/houses I looked at did. Hell, some didn't even come with a driveway or off-street parking. The few places that did come with 1-2 garage spots just didn't seem like great housing in general. When the next good place came up, I went for it despite its sole crappy parking spot.

A garage would have been incredibly awesome for AI projects, or even mundane poo poo like tightening up the skid plate bolts on the Charger like I just did in my apartment parking spot, but that'll have to be down the road.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-ferrari-308-gts-4/

yesssss

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I looked at this one more than a couple times, but I assume it'll be in the 40s:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-aston-martin-db7-5/

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I looked at this one more than a couple times, but I assume it'll be in the 40s:

looks like this one is going low unless a bidding war breaks out in the next 10 minutes

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kimbo305 posted:

Saw one of those once. At a pay and spray car wash. :stonk:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

Trying to copy sigtrap? :D

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Trying to copy sigtrap? :D

Idgi; what did he have after the truck?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty sure it was an Aston or a Jaaaaaaaaag or something of the sort.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Idgi; what did he have after the truck?

A Ford Ranger, I think.

Then a 2007 V8 Vantage

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-volkswagen-corrado-1-8-2/

BaT is def the wrong venue for that car. I don't think it'll go for as high as the seller was thinking.

But I still want it :shepspends:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Every drat time I see stuff on BaT I wish I lived in the US. So much cheap stuff. I am trying to find a 280z in Europe and they are all in poo poo condition for insane money.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Embrace what you have, ie cheap euros. For you it's euros, for au/nz is Japanese, for the US is US cars (sorry :lol:)
Seriously though it's grass is greener situation, US cars in AU are never going to be cheap and euros here are more expensive than in europe or the US. Just got to work with what you can get in your region.
I think it's too late to get get 1970s cars cheap, the last 10 years added $10K or more (e: even on the cheaper undesirable ones). Before that those were cheap because they were just old cars.
So these days if looking for a bargain look at iconic 90s cars as the 1980s car are already going up. But yeah, even 80s and 90s cars are still going to cost more than in the US.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 1, 2017

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That's what I thought as well (already given up on US cars), but then I see Alfa Romeos that are half the price. But yeah, you are right. It's just a shame that I keep falling for cars that always turn out to be rare / hard to get in my country.

At least I'm happy that I didn't fall for US cars though, expensive and with fuel at $6.20 per US gallon, I'd hemorrhage money. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hey, with the right setup, you could get it at $1 to drive a mile!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

That's what I thought as well (already given up on US cars), but then I see Alfa Romeos that are half the price. But yeah, you are right. It's just a shame that I keep falling for cars that always turn out to be rare / hard to get in my country.

It's gotta be the import and shipping process that poses a barrier. Seems to be one shop on BaT that sell Italian cars and scooters in Italy, and I have to assume a lot of the buyers are outside but able to make the purchase a reasonable deal despite the import.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

It's gotta be the import and shipping process that poses a barrier. Seems to be one shop on BaT that sell Italian cars and scooters in Italy, and I have to assume a lot of the buyers are outside but able to make the purchase a reasonable deal despite the import.
It's apparently more than a little convoluted getting a car purchased and shipped out of Italy, their system really isn't geared up for the idea of a non-Italian buying something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

InitialDave posted:

It's apparently more than a little convoluted getting a car purchased and shipped out of Italy, their system really isn't geared up for the idea of a non-Italian buying something.

Much like Italy, it works but for sort of not understandable reasons. You have to know exactly all the little ins-and-outs and it helps a lot to know Italian. It's not nearly as bad as people say that it is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Here's the new car in the new parking spot:

drat pole:

Last night was the first time I used the spot, and it was pretty tricky with the neighbor's car giving me a pretty narrow gap.
Should be fine once I have more practice. There's a mild curb that you have to carry some speed over.

The 911 is a semi-beater -- not in great shape but totally usable. Not sweating stuff like that badge and the peeling paint.
On the fence about doing the IMS or just going with it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
yeeees YEEESSS

That's a beautiful blue and no one will even notice little defects because the car itself is so impressive in person.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Aren’t you in Sweden? I think that is pretty much the best place to be shopping Alfas. Or Netherlands in some cases I guess.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

drat pole:

Last night was the first time I used the spot, and it was pretty tricky with the neighbor's car giving me a pretty narrow gap.
Should be fine once I have more practice. There's a mild curb that you have to carry some speed over.

The 911 is a semi-beater -- not in great shape but totally usable. Not sweating stuff like that badge and the peeling paint.
On the fence about doing the IMS or just going with it.

Very nice, congratulations. Such a rarely seen view of a current Porsche. You can really see how wide they've made the things while maintaining traditional profile. What are the specs of this one?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not sure if you mean 991 by current Porsche? That's a lowly 2001 996. The hip flares are nothing on the new ones:
https://i.imgur.com/0wPG58lh.jpg (not the same field of view, diff angle, etc.)
Currently mentally pacing back and forth about doing an IMS fix on it, or if it's not nice enough to get one.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nice colour/wheel combo

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DoLittle posted:

Aren’t you in Sweden? I think that is pretty much the best place to be shopping Alfas. Or Netherlands in some cases I guess.

Yeah I'll be honest, Alfas are pretty cheap here. Small but good community as well. Only problem is that they are few and far between. I'm not really actively looking to buy one right now, but if a red GTV6 in fair condition/price pops up in my area I'll buy it.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah I'll be honest, Alfas are pretty cheap here. Small but good community as well. Only problem is that they are few and far between. I'm not really actively looking to buy one right now, but if a red GTV6 in fair condition/price pops up in my area I'll buy it.

Across the Gulf of Bothnia we stare jealously at the large selection of Alfas you have over there. They are cheap here as well compared to central Europe but we have one tenth of the selection in Sweden. And what we have are rusty.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

DoLittle posted:

They are dirt cheap over here but boy are there a lot of crappy ones.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kimbo305 posted:

Hey look, another car that should have gone into the forties and didn’t.

:v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

To be completely fair, I'd take that over the Z06 only because I've never had a V12 before!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
It's intentionally got the interior trim colour scheme that my e34 has by accident/dumb PO!

My car was originally blue interior, but with cloth seats, also being older it didn't have the fake wood trim around the dash and shifter that the later e34s had. The PO tossed the blue seats because they wanted leather, and fitted a cream/ivory console to match, also cream/ivory glovebox and drivers knee panel for the fake wood paneling.
All I'd have to do to be almost the same colour fit out as that db7 is add some cream/ivory trim inserts to the OE blue door cards. I didn't know a sane mind would come up with that interior scheme though.
But really I'd like to return it to all blue like it was originally, maybe dye the leather seats to blue and try find the blue glove box and knee panel, or just paint them.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 29, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Hey look, another car that should have gone into the forties and didn’t.

:v:

I can't even begin to imagine the repair bills a $30k v12 Aston could rack up.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/1973-lotus-europa-special/6416432460.html

Too bad you don't have a garage space. There might be some money to be made on BaT. Or a huge hole to throw money and time into.

E: RAN WHEN PARKED.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Ran when parked? Why not...like...try starting it before selling it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dave Inc. posted:

Probably because they're pretty sure it won't start now and they don't want to find out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dave Inc. posted:

Because the gas is definitely bad, along with most likely everything else (battery, any rubber things, oil, carb, etc). It hasn't ran in 31 years. :stare: It would be a lot of work and money to get it back to running/driving condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The choices they made back then for powerplant and transmission made 100% sense at the time, but they hitched the Europa to a dead and sickly horse.
Refreshing the drivetrain would be a cinch if the parts were plentiful, but spare motors and trans have a rarity premium now.

Probably easier rebuild the trans, buy the adapter, and put in a 4AGE.

• Locked thread