Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DaveKap posted:

Ultimately I think Prey's branding, which I agree was what most led to its weak sales (as much credit as I give marketing, they aren't the sole saviors or failures when it comes to game sales,) happened because someone outside of marketing made the decision to co-opt a former IP in order to make it seem like the game was a sequel. You know, that one attribute that apparently makes a game sell more than usual. :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if marketing saw what happened and disagreed that it was a good idea, as their foresight over such things were being guessed at by an executive trying to look smart. Maybe that executive is the Founder/President of Arkane Studios who had to resign after Prey sales were so bad. I don't really know but I wouldn't be surprised.

Nah, I don't think the demand for AAA RPG shooter hybrids is that much these days when DX:MD which doesn't have a sequel identity crisis problem also sold poorly. I put them with the dead men walking genres like RTSes and MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I've never heard of WinGameStore, but the is there a deal website found out it has HOI 4 for 16 bucks. Is the website legitimate?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Chump Farts posted:

I've never heard of WinGameStore, but the is there a deal website found out it has HOI 4 for 16 bucks. Is the website legitimate?

They're just MacGameStore's sister site. They're legit.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

They're fine and legit, but be prepared for a slight (an hour or two) delay before you get your Steam key.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

They're fine and legit, but be prepared for a slight (an hour or two) delay before you get your Steam key.
They're great, just make sure they ARE Steam keys. If it's not listed there specifically, it's just going to be a DRM-free download. Also, most of the Telltale games are Telltale keys, not Steam.

Just read the product pages thoroughly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Palladium posted:

Nah, I don't think the demand for AAA RPG shooter hybrids is that much these days when DX:MD which doesn't have a sequel identity crisis problem also sold poorly. I put them with the dead men walking genres like RTSes and MMOs.

I'm not sure what makes you think MMOs are a dead man walking.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I just had a discussion with someone who works with digital sales and they did not realize that WA pays taxes on Steam purchases. The reason I had this discussion was because I wondered about the answer to a question and since they didn't know, I'll now pose it here.

WA residents pay taxes on Steam (based in WA) purchases. CA residents do not pay taxes on Humblebundle.com (based in CA) purchases (or Steam for that matter.) What's the cause for this? Is it a WA law that insists digital goods should be taxed for WA residents or a CA law that exempts physical goods or something else entirely?

And to that end, do WA residents pay taxes on purchases from Humblebundle.com?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Could be whee they have substantial physical facilities

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Digital products appear to be exempt from sales tax in California as long as no physical product accompanies the purchase.
http://www.boe.ca.gov/formspubs/pub109/

quote:

Products electronically transmitted to customers

Your sale of electronic data products such as software, data, digital books (eBooks), mobile applications, and digital images is generally not taxable when you transmit the data to your customer over the Internet or by modem. However, if as part of the sale you provide your customer with a printed copy of the electronically transferred information or a backup data copy on a physical storage medium such as a CD-ROM, your entire sale is usually taxable.

An eBook is an electronic version of a traditional print book that can be read by using a tablet computer or by using an eBook reader. Users can purchase an eBook on diskette or CD, but the most popular method of getting an eBook is to purchase a downloadable file of the eBook without purchasing any physical storage medium. A mobile application, also known as a “mobile app”, is computer software designed for use on a smartphone or tablet computer. The transfer of a downloadable file such as an eBook or an “app” without purchasing any physical storage medium is not a taxable transaction.

If your company sells canned (noncustom) software programs to customers who download them from a server, those sales are generally not subject to tax. However, if you also provide your customers with a backup copy on a CD-ROM, the entire transaction is taxable. Similarly, if you transmit a stock (noncustom) database to your customer over the Internet and also provide a printed copy of the contents, the entire sale is subject to tax. For more information regarding the sale of computer programs and data processing services, you may wish to obtain a copy of Regulation 1502, Computers, Programs, and Data Processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Delicious Canned Software

• Locked thread